• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

fishing/hunting quotes.....

ghotierman

I'm doing some remodeling at the store. I'm looking for some hunting / fishing related quotes....inspirational, or just thoughtful...to put up on the walls. Any favorites? any sources? thinking Teddy Roosevelt, Aldo Leopold, Thoreau, etc.

thanks gang!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Here is one. Does a fish ever sleep and if they do.. do they snore? I think it was from Jack Handy lol !!

I was reading my 2002 hunting regulations yesterday and there is a great quote from Aldo Leopold at the beginning of the Ethics section. Page 15

joe

"Bass fishermen watch Monday night football, drink beer, drive pickup trucks and prefer noisy women with big breasts.
Trout fishermen watch MacNeil-Lehrer, drink white wine, drive foreign cars with passenger-side air bags and hardly think about women at all.
This last characteristic may have something to do with the fact that trout fishermen spend most of the time immersed up to the thighs in ice-cold water."
- New Yorker Magazine, June 13, 1994

great start! thanks gang...i knew i could count on the FM crew. I saw the Aldo Leopold one in the regs....looking for more of the same.

love the ny one....trout vs bass....hilarious...i'll save it, but don't think it'll work on the wall....*L*

keep 'em coming....
even latin phrases welcome...just translate, please....(i studied greek)

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Quoting the late Robert Traver, outdoor writer from Michigan:

"It's not that fishing is so terribly important. Rather, it's that everything else in life is as equally unimportant, and a lot less fun."

Traver also has some terrific words to say about the places where folks fish -- worth being there. You can find him in just about any collection of famous quotes.

(He's the author of Anatomy of a Murder, the book made into one of the best movies ever filmed. Filmed on location in Marquette Mich and the UP.)

File under general inspiration:

Thoreau's, "In wilderness is the preservation of the world"(?)

Perhaps, Frost's, "Two roads diverged in the woods. I choose the one less traveled and that has made all the difference".(??)

Chief Seattle's, "Man did not weave the web of life - he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself."

Sounds like a fun project good luck!

Don't quote me on these...

Another successful day of fishing, no fish to clean!

------------------
F-STOP

Here's another we've all heard before:
I love the changes of the season, Fishing to hunting, hunting to fishing!

------------------
F-STOP

Give a man a fish - he'll eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish - he'll eat for a lifetime...then buy more rods/reels, more tackle, a boat, a new truck...

"I sit in happy meditation on my rock, pondering, while my line dries again, upon the ways of trout and men. How like fish we are; ready, nay eager to seize upon whatever new thing some wind of circumstance shakes down upon the river of time! And how we rue our haste finding the gilded morsel to contain a hook."

Aldo Leopold, "A Sand County Almanac"

[This message has been edited by SpikeRoberts (edited 10-09-2002).]

Here's a couple of Quotes

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a
shortage of fishing poles.
Doug Larson

Very little is known of the Canadian country since it is rarely visited by anyone but the Queen and illiterate sport fishermen.
P. J. O'Rourke

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot.
Steven Wright

Fishing is a delusion entirely surrounded by liars in old clothes.
Don Marquis

Hmm.. I have a perpetual calander full of these: I'll add a few of my favoirtes to here:

"you cannot bring a hook into a fish's mouth unless there is food on it that pleases him." -Juliana Berners

"It is not a fish until it is on the bank" -Irish Proverb

"Give me mine angle; we'll to the river there,
My music playing far off, I will betray Tawny-finn'd fishes; my bended hook shall pierce Their slimy jaws" -William Shakespeare. Anthony and Cleopatra (Hey.. I never knew Shakespeare was an Angler... perhaps that's why he got a line of fishing equipment named after him? wink.gif )

[This message has been edited by Crawlerman (edited 10-09-2002).]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How about,

I like picking off the menu (with my shotgun)!

Become one with nature...Then marinate it!!

Just a couple of old ones-

A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

It is better to go fishing and think about God than it is to go to Church and think about fishing.

A bad day of fishing is better than ANY day at work!!!

OOPS, I guess I should have read all the posts before adding mine.

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 10-10-2002).]

Noble Virtues Of Fishing
"Fishing is the chance to wash ones soul with pure air. It brings meekness and inspiration , reduces our egotism , soothes our troubles and shames our wickedness."
Herbert Hoover , President , 1929-33

I'm finding some gems here...thanks.
whatever doesn't make the walls, will find itself on a magnet or t-shirt!....

Fishing seems to have the most bits of wisdom...anything more toward hunting, or outdoors in general?

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

I have a bunch of them for you.

No theory will adequately server to explain why a person goes fishing. Christopher Lehmann-Huapt

There will be no joy on long winter nights making reinventory of the tackle unless there be behind it the indelible recollection of having caught a few big ones,and the anticipation of bigger ones to come. Herbert Hoover

All good fisherman stay young until they die,for fishing is the only dream of youth that doth not grow stale with age. J.W.Muller

All Amercans believe that they are born fishermen.For a man to admit a distaste for fishing would be like denouncing mother-love and hating moonlight. John Steinbeck

You can't catch fish on a dry line. Anonymous

The fishing is always good.Its the catching that can prove difficult. Steve Walli

All American boys spit on the bait. Herbert Hoover

Everyone is born with the same amount of fishing savvy;none.It must be learned. Gary Soucie

Yup all of these come off the top of my head.Ok I got themn off an old fishing calendar I had. smile.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

"A particular virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of the conduct, whatever the acts, they are dictated by their own conscience, rather than that of onlookers."
Aldo Leopold

BOAT+MAN=HAPPY
HAPPY MAN+FISH=BLISS
BLISS+BEER=LATE FOR DINNER
LATE FOR DINNER=DOGHOUSE

I like the one I saw @ Gander Mountain:
"I fish because the voices in my head tell me to."

Seen on T-shirt at Gander Mountain: "If you can read this, you're fishing too close." Had to buy it.

Teach a man to fish and a liar is born.

If God had wanted man to work he wouldn't have invented fishing.

I've spent most of my life fishing. The rest of it I wasted.