• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CWD

DUCKBOAT21

CWD has been found in a gamefarm elk in Aitkin Co. According to news reports at noon on Fri.

Oh Sh*t....

It's front page on the Star Trib web site.

Obviously my knowledge of this disease is fairly new, but I have a degree in Biology and two thoughts come to mind.

#1) The disease may have been around for a while and people didn't notice until someone pointed it out and people started looking for it.

#2) There is no way to stop the spread of something like this. We may be able to slow it by culling, but the spread of the disease will continue and eventually it be through out the state, midwest etc.

My question is why won't the USDA allow private firms to test deer? I hunt in SE MN and want the ability to have my deer tested, and yet they fail to realize how important this is to hunters.

Just my 2 cents..

Evenflow

------------------
It's all just theory till you hit the water.

This topic might be better suited to be under the "Hunting" forum.

While I understand the dangers of having this disease spread throughout the state, I think the possibilities of that are minimal, at least at present time. This is so far an isolated incident. Hunters should not go off the deep end and assume that all deer now have it or will have it, and stop hunting. This would only increase the deer population, and likely spread the disease at a rapid pace. Another thing to take into consideration is the fact that there is no scientific evidence that CWD can be spread from animals to humans. Out of the animals that have tested positive for CWD, it has never been found in meat, only in the brain, spine, and lymph nodes.

Well, this hunter isn't going to stop just yet.

Good Luck,
Rusty

[This message has been edited by Rusty (edited 08-31-2002).]

i agree, that i will continue to hunt and eat venision, but will keep an eye on what they find. sooner or later we will all have to deal with it, but i think it is a problem in small areas for now. time will tell!! del

I heard of this situation on the news last night. They claim that the disease can only be spread through bodily fluids. If this is the case .. how did it get here unless that farm took in an infected animal from another location not knowing it was infected ?

The farm is quarantined and I couldnt see how it could spread anywhere too fast if it is in fact only transmitted by bodily fluids.

I have no fear of eating venison, but I am curious of how it got here in the 1st place.

Guess thats my $.02 .. but id rather have $.04 worth of info we dont have.

Giving up venison is certainly everyones choice...... BUT, look at all the deaths that occur from hunting accidents. Far more than that have or will occur from CWD. Plus, how many people get sicker than dogs because they don't take care or cook the meat properly. That happens every year, it's just not broadcast under a heading as scary as CWD.

Good Luck,
Rusty

The disease has been around forever. Nature will take it's course. The strong will survive. I won't say the MN deer population is high as I can't compare it to previous years, but I saw very high numbers in Northern MN this spring and summer. In Iowa they are very thick. Nature is going to thin them down as our DNR has chosen not to. They want to build the herd I guess. As far as the meat safety goes, clean it from the bone before packaging. I will continue to consume venison. It will be alright.

My thoughts right now are that you'd contract the west nile virus a lot easier than anything pertaining to cwd. They already have confirmed cases of people that have the west nile disease in MN. Maybe it's time to get out the 2-4D and irratigate(sp) those dang skeeters!!! Personally, I'd rather die from enjoying a juicy venison steak than swatting at skeeters and itching & scratching and dieing from them!!!

[This message has been edited by HtchEyeCatcher (edited 09-01-2002).]

i was told!!!! the cwd disease was brought to wis from a game management farm out west. a guy wanting to enhance the genetics of the deer in his area bought a huge buck and had it brought to wis. then turned it loose to mate with the wild ones. the buck had it in him and passed it on to other deer. del