Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
DUCKBOAT21

CWD

DUCKBOAT21    0
DUCKBOAT21

CWD has been found in a gamefarm elk in Aitkin Co. According to news reports at noon on Fri.

Evenflow    0
Evenflow

Oh Sh*t....

It's front page on the Star Trib web site.

Obviously my knowledge of this disease is fairly new, but I have a degree in Biology and two thoughts come to mind.

#1) The disease may have been around for a while and people didn't notice until someone pointed it out and people started looking for it.

#2) There is no way to stop the spread of something like this. We may be able to slow it by culling, but the spread of the disease will continue and eventually it be through out the state, midwest etc.

My question is why won't the USDA allow private firms to test deer? I hunt in SE MN and want the ability to have my deer tested, and yet they fail to realize how important this is to hunters.

Just my 2 cents..

Evenflow

------------------
It's all just theory till you hit the water.

This topic might be better suited to be under the "Hunting" forum.

While I understand the dangers of having this disease spread throughout the state, I think the possibilities of that are minimal, at least at present time. This is so far an isolated incident. Hunters should not go off the deep end and assume that all deer now have it or will have it, and stop hunting. This would only increase the deer population, and likely spread the disease at a rapid pace. Another thing to take into consideration is the fact that there is no scientific evidence that CWD can be spread from animals to humans. Out of the animals that have tested positive for CWD, it has never been found in meat, only in the brain, spine, and lymph nodes.

Well, this hunter isn't going to stop just yet.

Good Luck,
Rusty

[This message has been edited by Rusty (edited 08-31-2002).]

delmuts    19
delmuts

i agree, that i will continue to hunt and eat venision, but will keep an eye on what they find. sooner or later we will all have to deal with it, but i think it is a problem in small areas for now. time will tell!! del

Fisher Dave    0
Fisher Dave

I heard of this situation on the news last night. They claim that the disease can only be spread through bodily fluids. If this is the case .. how did it get here unless that farm took in an infected animal from another location not knowing it was infected ?

The farm is quarantined and I couldnt see how it could spread anywhere too fast if it is in fact only transmitted by bodily fluids.

I have no fear of eating venison, but I am curious of how it got here in the 1st place.

Guess thats my $.02 .. but id rather have $.04 worth of info we dont have.

Giving up venison is certainly everyones choice...... BUT, look at all the deaths that occur from hunting accidents. Far more than that have or will occur from CWD. Plus, how many people get sicker than dogs because they don't take care or cook the meat properly. That happens every year, it's just not broadcast under a heading as scary as CWD.

Good Luck,
Rusty

SteveR    0
SteveR

The disease has been around forever. Nature will take it's course. The strong will survive. I won't say the MN deer population is high as I can't compare it to previous years, but I saw very high numbers in Northern MN this spring and summer. In Iowa they are very thick. Nature is going to thin them down as our DNR has chosen not to. They want to build the herd I guess. As far as the meat safety goes, clean it from the bone before packaging. I will continue to consume venison. It will be alright.

My thoughts right now are that you'd contract the west nile virus a lot easier than anything pertaining to cwd. They already have confirmed cases of people that have the west nile disease in MN. Maybe it's time to get out the 2-4D and irratigate(sp) those dang skeeters!!! Personally, I'd rather die from enjoying a juicy venison steak than swatting at skeeters and itching & scratching and dieing from them!!!

[This message has been edited by HtchEyeCatcher (edited 09-01-2002).]

delmuts    19
delmuts

i was told!!!! the cwd disease was brought to wis from a game management farm out west. a guy wanting to enhance the genetics of the deer in his area bought a huge buck and had it brought to wis. then turned it loose to mate with the wild ones. the buck had it in him and passed it on to other deer. del