• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

BASS OPENER!!!!!!!!!

Hey all,(and huskminn)

Whose pumped for smallmouth and largemouth action!!!!!
Any favorite spots you hit first?

What's your favorite Early season smallmouth and largemouth technique?

Would you prefer catching a smallmouth over a largemouth!!!

Here's the kicker: Which do you feel is a better fighter, the smallmouth or largemouth?

Bring it on bass lovers!!!!!!!

Those bass WILL bend your rod!!!

Jim W

Alright,

Early season technique for bucketmouth that I prefer is worming. Wacky wormin, Texas rig, Carolina rig, etc.

Smallies fight better but Buckets are bigger.

I'll be out on Prior for opener only because I always can park the trailer in my driveway.

What are the other Metro hot bass ponds?

Alright, JimW, I'll get off my party platform and talk bass fishin'.

I grew up catching largemouths out of South Dakota stock dams, so they have a special place in my heart and always will. However, the smallie makes me an adrenaline junkie. They hit hard, fight like crazy and always suprise me.

Techniques? I love and live topwater bass. I go after them with fly-rod, too. Judging by what I see on TV shows, I am a sight-fisherman. Deep water bass confuse and confound me.

I will be on the water come the 25th fishing with my wife who absolutely loves bass fishing.....hates walleye fishing, but likes the bass. In fact, she wants us to get a bass boat.....I wish she felt the same way about deer hunting!

And soon, real soon, I'll be on Mille Lacs for the smallie action.

Good luck to everyone and release those big ones!

I too love bass fishing, it's fun to watch them jump and dance across the water.

I've yet to go after small mouth, but would love to try for them this year. If anyone could give me some tips on how and where to go, especially locally, I would appreciate it greatly.

As for the bucket mouths, I go to a little secret lake in the Washington Co. area. Not real big, but the bass are loaded in there, all sizes. Biggest I've seen caught was 8-6. I like to go after them with a pointed jig head and 4 inch sand colored power worm.

If anyone is interested in fishing this local lake with me let me know. [email protected]

Good Luck,
Rusty

Small Mouth, Large Mouth, does it really matter when they come out of the water 2'. grin.gif The dead sea, I mean Lake Waconia has some monster Bass if you can find them. Actually, the west metro, starting in Victoria has loads of good if not great Bass lakes all around. Here's my top 5:
1. Steiger, fish right from dock for 5 lb'ers
2. Auburn, 2 words "weed edge"
3. Minnewashta, same 2 words
4. Waconia, reefs
5. Minnetonka, have never fished it, heard the stories.

2 weeks everyone to dangle the worms. grin.gif

------------------
Happy Fishn :D
Mike

For you shore fisherman I have done well for big large Mouths on Lake Harriet in minneapolis from shore early season in the past.

Hey Jimmy,
Up here on the Big V the bass are open,
they don't seem to know it yet. Action
has been slow and most of the smallies are in their pre-spawn stage.

Early season smallies will hit a number
of presentations but the best by far is
a minnow style crankbait. smile.gif

I'm partial to husky jerks but you will do well on bombers, rouges, oringinal
floating rapalas, the new millennium
ghost minnows and several others. smile.gif

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
aceguideservice.com

On Clearwater and other Annandale area lakes, there are dozens of folks purposely targeting bass right now -- a week before opener. It is amazing to watch the brazen poachers work shoreline, looking for spawning beds, and throwing spinner baits and plastics. It makes me sick, but calling TIP does no good. "Can you prove they are fishing for bass?" Yeah, it takes a giant sized brain to figure out what they're doing.

I have a few small secret lakes in the metro that have some nice size Largemouths. My wife goes crazy for Bass fishing so were out there as much as possible. Some favorite techniques are bobber fishing with suckers and topwater. Nothing like running a buzzbait and watching that explosion. My heart jumps into my throat. Good Time!!!!! Good Luck to you all!!

Guru --

Thank you. I'll try to keep this short.

Some years ago the DNR would post spawning areas and restrict fishing on lakes to areas outside those areas. I think that is a good solution. I don't know why the practice was stopped, but on Clearwater the prime bass water was posted until bass opener.

Basspastor lectured me on what they do in Wisconsin. As a matter of fact, I lived in Wisconsin for 36 years and know how early muskie hunters would "innocently" claim to be pike fishing when they sought muskies with all their standard muskie gear. That, too, is breaking the law.

If the law is bad, there are measures to be taken to change it. As for Minnesota bass, I'd like to see them protected and undisturbed until after they spawn. Watch what happens to the bed when no adults are present to protect it -- there are other predators willing and ready to pirate the bass spawn. And, altho I "catch and release" myself, I can't make the claim that all fish I release will survive the catch, even tho they swim away with some vigor.

Good luck and good fishing.

I know it is hard to compare these two species, but idea remains constant.

Anyway, the season for trout revolves around their spawn, so to me, it only makes sense to protect fish during their spawn. Does that happen for all species??? The only one can think of is stream trout and stream smallmouth. Granted walleye opener reflects some concern, weather provided!

Come on baby!!!! Just a few more days!!

Jim W

Note to Clayton: Last week I was at a Bass Tournament in WI and my 5 fish were all pike using purely bass techniques. I even got a 7lb pike on a beatle spin. I didn't catch a single bass. What does this prove? Maybe those guys are smart pike fisherman. Everybody, including big pike are up on the weed flats early in the season and the cool weather is extending the early season. I once had a jerk on a dock tell me in no uncertain terms what he thought about me fishing for bass out of season with a spinnerbait. I happened to catch two pike that day close to 10lbs. I happend to catch a lot of bass too. Big Darn Deal, these bass are prespawn fish anyway at this point. 100 percent catch and release in cold water = 100 percent survival rate and no harm done during the actual spawn. Lighten up Clayton. WI opens their bass season up almost a full month before we do here in MN and by most accounts there lakes are just as good if not better than those of MN. On the Anndale lake I'm most familiar with (Sylvia, Twin) the bass openner usually corresponds about a week before the peak spawn and fishing for bedding and spawning fish is the rule not the exception for the first three weeks of the season. Are you going to try and tell me that Sylvia/ Twin suffers because people catch the spawning bass on that lake. Sylvia/ Twin is the best numbers bass lake in the Annandale area and it has it's share of big one's too. The MN regulation is as unenforceable as it is stupid. Bass fishing is good because bass fisherman let the fish go. Duh! Why is walleye fishing so good on Mille Lacs Now? A fish released is one more fish that can be caught again especially if hooked on artificials in cold water. Man give the other guys some space, if they get pinched than they get pinched, but most likely it won't happen because pike love bass lures more than the bass do in cold water.

I was out last weekend in a shallow bay, and the bass action was unbelievable. We were actually fishing for crappie, but a few casts of Mr. Twisters in the shallows had unexpected results of some nice bass! But back in the water they went! I can't wait for the season to open!

I say it was unbelieveable because I probably saw 9 or 10 10#+ bass jump all around me, plus I got to see a hawk dive-bomb from about 50 feet into the water after a fish. It was a beautiful time to be out on the lake, even if we didn't catch much.

One bass I saw had to be at least as long as my...umm....arm wink.gif It was amazing! Hooking that sucker has just become a summer priority!

So, Mr. Basspastor, you are saying it is OK to break the law.

As for pre-spawn, there are bass on their beds right in front of my property right now. I leave them entirely alone -- but big shot bass anglers (pig-n-jig, Power worms, Texas and Carolina rig, all "pike presentations") use their electrics and their polarized glasses to target those bass. I can hear them talking. Sorry, Mr. basspastor, I'll listen to my pastor when I want a sermon.

I am not going to get into the argument too far because I also throw spinnerbaits for pike and crankbaits for walleye this time of year. Both of these techniques are used for for depths from 1 to 15 feet of water. These are all game fish that eat the same things.....all you can do is either don't fish all together or be a good sportsman and release fish that are out of season. I caught more than 20 bass trolling in 12-15 feet of water for walleye with live bait rigs.

Last year on bass opener I caught a 15 pound northern on a plastic worm!!!!

Clayton, I agree that it is out of bounds to purposely target bass out of season but until the DNR defines a bass lure versus a walleye/northern lure there will simply be no way to enforce it.

You are typically one of the more intellegent people on the site in terms of the content of your posts and, as such,I am curious what your thoughts are on the best way of enforcing the issue.

------------------
John K., a.k.a. wastewaterguru
Prior Lake, Minnesota

Yeah, all of the tackle used for bass can be used for northern. If you're out after northern and catch a bass, well that's just the way it goes. But to say that everybody out there now is fishing for northerns just because all the tackle can be used for northern is STUPID!! I have two friends that have gone bass fishing in the last week, yes they went BASS fishing. I asked them if they knew it was against the law and they smiled and said "we were fishing northerns". Does it stress the fish and affect the spawn? I don't know, why take the chance? It is irresponsible to claim to be northern fishing just to get out there a week early.

Is it OK to rob a bank if you give the money back? Is it Ok to walk up to someone with a gun, point it at them and pull the trigger if it isn't loaded? Is it OK to smoke pot if you don't inhale? Life is full of rules, who are we to decide which rules MUST be followed while NOT following others?

Bass fisherman(and I'm one of them) get a bad wrap already because of the big fast boats and fishing right on top of peoples docks and bouncing jigs off their boats. Lets not promote breaking the law also!!

9 or 10 bass over 10 lbs!
What is the state record?
It sounds like someone has bass fever.
Tully

I look at it like this......

Let's say there's a posted speed limit on the highway of 55 mph.

Let's say the police have no speed traps or cars for that matter and have admitted to not being able to enforce the speed limit.

Are people gonna drive 55?????

No.

I for one agree that the law should be followed as a rule, but the general population simply isn't gonna comply unless there are defined and enforced consequences. You can't blame people for bending the rules when there is no way to enforce the law.

Each of us needs to relax and focus on the regulators and not the lawbreakers. Keeping people from fishing for bass out of season is like telling your 2 year old to stay out of the cookies then putting the jar on the floor and leaving the 2 year old alone with the cookies. When the kid eats all the cookies you wouldn't be a good parent for blaming the child......you should blame yourself for not defining the consequences and enforcing the rule.

Don't get mad at these people. Just be a good citizen and call the TIP line and go about about your business. Always think twice or three times before instigating a conflict with someone you know nothing about. Are you willing to bet your health and property on the fact that they will just say "OK" and stop fishing?

They simply need to do a better job of defining and enforcing the problem. Yes better enforcement costs all of us more money. I am willing to pay for it....

is everyone else?

By the way.....if I was sure there were no consequences......you're darn right I'd rob the bank.....

If I didn't, somebody else would.

------------------
Prior Lake, Minnesota

[This message has been edited by wastewaterguru (edited 05-22-2002).]

[This message has been edited by wastewaterguru (edited 05-22-2002).]

Clayton,

What do they tell you when you call?

------------------
Prior Lake, Minnesota

Wow.

So what's the point of the rule.....maybe they should change it to catch and release until the opener. Either that or they really need to come up with a better way to enforce the law.

Maybe we should draft something to send to the DNR and get FM members to post on it to show their support....a petition of sorts.

I would be curious on Ricks position about something like that.

------------------
Prior Lake, Minnesota

There is no such thing as bending the law, either ya break it or ya don't. And when it concerns Game and Fish laws, if ya break them, I consider you a poacher. It's too bad that humans are such a greedy species, always figuring out a way skirt the law or "bend" it. Is it really that tough to hold off a couple of weeks before chucking a rubber worm on a bass spawning bed? I guess it is for the "I gotta have mine now generation", which I consider worse than the "Meat Hunter generation". You know the ones; guys who have NEVER released a fish. At least the Meat Hunters are starting to die off. I guess the Me, Mine, Now thing, is just a reflection of society these days, which is a shame.
Whew, I feel a little better now. Just try and respect the resorce, respect the people around you, and try and keep it legal folks.

Wow Duffman,

I guess you're right. We should always just do what we're told and never question authority. So then my question is....what is your proposed solution to the problem?

------------------
Prior Lake, Minnesota

Keep voicing your opinion until those that bend the rules get the message!! To sit here and talk about not being able to enforce the law is ridiculous, peer pressure does wonders. Set examples, in the army I believed that the best leaders were those that lead by example. If everyone that believed they were doing right by following the law stood up and told those that bend, how wrong they are maybe we can get something done!! Let's try policing ourselves, we don't need violence just peer pressure!!!

Stop talking about HOW to make a difference and start trying!!

Good Fishing!

[This message has been edited by Fishin'Bemidji (edited 05-23-2002).]

WasteWaterGuru...
Both you and I know there is only one true solution to this. And that must come from the inside of each individual fisherman. It is their decision to poach or not. Enforcement will never be the answer, not enough resources to protect the resource. Authority these days is taking a major hit, from the church to the government. Always question it, but that doesn't mean to blatently violate any rules that you don't think should pertain to you. And that is not a shot at you in paticular. Hey, I speed every day to and from work, but thats just to keep up with the flow. Should I then go after them Hawgs protecting thier eggs cause I've seen quite a few people doing the same? My preference is to not. I am a legal eagle when it comes to fish and game laws, if more people could find it within themselves to be the same that would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

[This message has been edited by Duffman (edited 05-23-2002).]

So here's the situation....

You're out in your boat and you see some guy flippin a worm into some shallow weeds and you open your mouth and tell him he's an idiot for breaking the law......what's gonna happen next?

A. He's gonna say "yes sir, you're correct. What was I thinking." Then he packs his rod and goes home nicely.

B. He's gonna say "f*** you azzhole." And you and him get into a heated argument until you both yell yourselves out of breath and he keeps flippin his worm.

C. He's gonna say "f*** you azzhole." And you and him get into a heated argument until you actually piss him off and he kicks your azz. Then he keeps flippin his worm.

D. He's gonna say ""f*** you azzhole." And you and him get into a heated argument until he pulls out his handgun and blows you away. Then he goes home and goes back the next day to a different lake to flip his worm.

E. You do what the law tells you to and contact the proper authorities instead of trying to take the law into your own hands and all is well.

Is A gonna happen.....I think not. Should you assume that D isn't gonna happen.....I think not.

Yes we need to worry about how to enforce the law, because suggesting that people confront a lawbreaking criminal in the act of breaking the law is simply NOT a good idea. Let's use our brains here.

I agree Duffman that each person has to decide for themselves......

But I just think there needs to be a better enforcement policy to create some consequences that will make people think twice about it.

------------------
Prior Lake, Minnesota

[This message has been edited by wastewaterguru (edited 05-23-2002).]

Fish and game management is useless without a corresponding arm of enforcement. Both Minnesota and Wisconsin have left CO posts open on retirement or other reason for vacancy. Think of this one -- Wisconsin puts 700,000 hunters in the field for deer opener. If they took every single CO (field and office) they'd have an enforcement contingent of 170 officers.

Most counties in Minnesota are served by one CO. Face it, we need to make noise. We've got needs in the MDNR that are going unfulfilled -- no matter how you cut it, that's false economy.

I'm glad to see the controversy, I've stired up. Note to Clayton. I do not advocate breaking the law. But when I was out fishing for pike with that spinnerbait and the guy on the dock said something to me, it was him breaking the law and not me. Angler harrasement is against the law and far more common than fishing for bass out of season. In fact, I think I could make the case that saying something to the "lawbreakers" is angler harrasement and also illegal.

No one seems to be challenging my contention that that fishing for bass on the beds does not hurt the fishery if they are immediatly released. Note to one of the posts: The hawgs which are females do not guard the nest or fry, the smaller males do that. Females will lay eggs with several males throughout the spawning area. Some of those nests will be in deeper water and in area's you would hardly expect. And I think it a true statement that most of the actual spawning activity takes place under cover of darkness.

There was an In Fisherman article a while back that referenced a study about fishing for bedding bass. The study found that in most cases if a male bass was immediatly released back into the water. The nest would most likely go undisturbed unless a pack of preditors were already agressively hounding the nest and ready to pounce.

No one challenged my true assertion about Sylvia/Twin where the bass start bedding and spawning after the season opens. That lake is phenominal for bass, how can that be?

Clayton's remark about the WI muskies is irrelavant to a discussion on bass. Totally different species and dynamics. Bass are far more prolific, adaptable, hearty, and catchable.

The law is a "bad" law in that it protects little, is unenforceable and therefore not worth the CO's time, and I would say it unecessarily burdens my "right" to hunt and fish which is constitutionally guarenteed in MN.

I hope anyone pinched for such a violation will be willing to hire a lawyer and challenge the law on such grounds. I think with a good lawyer, it would be a winner and then I would not have to go to WI to fish for bass in may.

A note to those who called this practice "poaching." I think you are using the word in an unwarrented manner. Actually keeping fish out of season would qualify, but you are saying that catching a fish out of season is to "poach."

I will not let you weasel by saying the poaching is in the "intentionality" of the angler. All anglers intend to catch whatever bites the lure or bait. Now you may be targeting a specific type of fish, but you are still after fish and must be aware that there is no surefire system that limits the type of fish that may be caught. This assertion of mine is proven daily and hourly when a fisherman catches not what they are after.

Here is an interesting dilema to think about? Are anglers on Mille Lacs poachers because the vast majority of the fish caught are not in the slot. The shear percentages and numbers of fish caught through live bait tactics almost certainly dictate that at least as many non-slot fish will die as slot fish. Those terrible walleye fisherman, don't they know what they are doing to the resource by skirting the law over agaist protecting the fish.

To those who are not blockheaded, the analogy is pretty good. A dead walleye is a dead walleye whether or not it's on your stringer. A caught fish is a caught fish whether or not you intended to catch it or target it or not.

One place where the analogy breaks down is that the slot is actually enforceable as that a fish can be measured, where what the fishman wanted to catch with that plastic worm cannot. At least with the slot the Co's are not hamstrung.

Poaching is not applicable if you throw the fish back and some other fish is in season.

BassPastor....

"Angler harrasement is against the law and far more common than fishing for bass out of season."

I Doubt it.

"In fact, I think I could make the case that saying something to the "lawbreakers" is angler harrasement and also illegal."

They are not fishing, they are poaching

"The law is a "bad" law in that it protects little, is unenforceable and therefore not worth the CO's time, and I would say it unecessarily burdens my "right" to hunt and fish which is constitutionally guarenteed in MN."

Where is the burden? Other than you don't get what you want and when you want it.

You ever watch the bed after you hook into one of those males? Or are you to busy having fun landing the bass. Don't take long for a bunch of sunnies to fill themselves up with eggs and fry. I've seen it firsthand, and yes, it was after the season had opened.