• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any Mushroom Hunters out there?

Thats what I like to hear! The moisture is there, it is just a matter of getting some sun and some temps over 45 degrees!! Burrrr

While I was out ice fishing last night I thought I saw some Morels on shore, after careful inspection they weren't grin.gif
ScottS

Thanks guys this is all good news, they are getting closer. I should be able to start looking next week, even tho it's snowing right now!! Thanks again and good luck this weekend. -nunzio

hey im from des moines,ia and we are having an excellant year with morels. ive already froze some for our trip up north on the 17th of may. i would gladly share some mushrooms for a walleye honey hole. im going out tommorow for the last time before our trip, but we are still finding fresh ones(yellows) and a few greys.

I had to go out and look anyway.... The blood root and wild violets are up. There are alot of Devils Urn out. so I hope this is a sign for a good year. If only this weather would cooperate, there's still frost in the mornings. They're getting closer!!!! -nunzio

I will be checking tonight as well as Wednesday. You know the saying,"Check early, check often" It is getting close to that time.ScottS

TNT, I really doubt if you found a patch of false morels. They don't grow the way morels do and they are solid. Even though there are different types and colors of morels, they're still all morels. Morels are hollow,but if you find them when they first come up they can look to be solid on the inside because the haven't had a chance to grow and expand. If they are real small and look fresh and you think no one else will find them(always a clear and present danger)I'd let them grow a couple days, then pick. If the weathers right morels can grow to well over a pound.

Went back out tonight and found quite a few more of the grays and some are starting to stretch out. Also found more of the others, the largest were eight inches tall and over two inches wide on the caps.The caps on the largest are up to two inches long with six inch stems. I have the National Audubon Society Field Guide and the Wrinkled Thimble-cap resembles them the most, and it does say that they can be stuffed or hollow.Am going to check with a neighbor to see what he thinks. Some of them are starting to die and dry down, but there are hords of them. Some of the grays are in amongst them. Bodyman thanks for the info, time to clean and cook.

Went out last night for the first time this year and came across some, was quite surprised to find them this far north already. Found a few places where the grays are just starting to come up, but also found areas where there were alot of others coming up. Being fairly new to picking wasn't sure of the kind they were. They look like they could be the Half-free Morel but also could be the Wrinkled Thimble-cap, the color varied a little from my field guide to what was out there. The caps were attached only at the top and the stems were stuffed with cotton like material. Only picked a few to observe, but there were alot of them up. Might have been some type of false morel. Was down in southern minn. this weekend and stopped in Elba to see how the mushroom festival was going. Most reports were that the shrooms were just coming up in that area. Will be looking the next couple evenings also, the ones I had for supper last night were wonderful. happy picking.

You may want to tell your neighbor you found them "down south" in case they turn out to be Morels. I too doubt they are false Morels, I have never found that many falses together. Maybe one here or one there. Sounds nice!!

Nothing in Central MN yet, that I have found atleast. The rain last night should have helped. I will check again Thursday.ScottS

My neighbor Tommy (Monstercat) did hit the friggin motherload! They're poppin for sure near Belle Plaine.

He came by the river where my son and I were fishing and gave me a few....I fried um up last night in butter,lemon pepper, and salt....Oh ya!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

The conditions are perfect in Central MN right now. A little rain would be perfect yet. If you didn't get a hard frost in your area this weekend I would get out and check. I have a cabin up North and it is still to early up there. I would say by the weekend it should be really good in Northern MN. Keep us posted.ScottS

I'll be in Bemidji in a couple of weeks. Will that be too late to find some morels?

Been finding a few this past week in the Rochester area.

Just one here, one there, I haven't heard of anyone hitting the motherload.

But today my gal, Leah, and her brother found about 2 pounds, I will be eating very well tonight!!!!!

With the rain and warm nites we're getting now, look for a good weekend of picking. I hope it doesn't freeze again.

Fishing is Life

My boy and I picked about 4# tonite. Most were very fresh and nice size. Left quite afew small ones behind. If you live in the metro area you should be out looking this weekend.

Finally.... Found a few small ones north of Grand Rapids. A couple of them were frosted on the tips. We need more rain for things to really take off. Good Luck to everyone and enjoy your harvest. -nunzio

basshunter, I look for dead elm trees along the roadway,tons of them in the metro. Parks and hiking area's to. I don't know what it is about them but morels love dead elm trees.
Good luck

i used to pick some wild mushrooms a few years back...shaggy manes ..and chantrells..shaggy manes were the easiest for me to identify...chantrells were trumpet shaped and had an "apricoty " smell...anyway ...little old italian lady showed me the shaggy manes...fried up with onions on a sirloin..awesome!....thanks ...jon

I found another 6# yesterday. 3"to 9" and most of them fresh, but some were drying out.We're in the middle to the end of the season in this area. As long as this rain comes thru we should be able to pick thru the weekend I think.
Is anybody else having luck??

We finally got some rain in out area (St. Cloud) If you haven't been out yet this is going to be your last chance. With the lack of rain we have had things have been pushed bacak considerably. This is the weeke to find your morels if you haven't. Today should be good but tomorrow should be the best.

Bodyman, good to hear you are finding some. We have been so dry here that the little ones I have found have been so few and far between it has not been worth mentioning. Things seem to be perfect right now.ScottS

I found some morels in the St. Cloud area last night. We had a good rain two days ago and that is what brought them out. These were big yellow morels, so I would guess we are pretty much done now. Maybe Northern MN will still produce this year.ScottS

Scotts, Glad to hear you found some. The big yellows are great for stuffing. I'm looking one more time this weekend. Maybe heading north 100 miles or so looking for low lying areas and north hill sides. Anywhere that stayed cooler the last few days. Then the wait till next year and back to fishing.

HAS ANYBODY FOUND ANY MORELS AROUND THE DULUTH AREA? I'M NEW AT MOREL HUNTING. I CAN SEE A DEER SLITHERING THRU BRUSH AT 150 YRDS.,A GROUSE IN THE WOODS DUEING 50 DOWN A DIRT ROAD, BUT I CAN'T FIND A MOREL!!

I was up at Vermillion last weekend and things looked perfect for Mushroom Hunting. You had some rain on Sunday evening I think so you should get out and check. It is getting pretty late now. I am done for the year. The dry weather in out area made it a bad year for mushrooms but a good one for the pheasants. I would bet you could still find a few in the Duluth area.ScottS