Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
huckfin

Cleaning Bullheads

huckfin

With the nice weather we are starting to get, I was planning to take a few kids out fishing for bullheads this week. Hopefully we will be able to get a few for the smoker. I'm getting forgetful, I had a guy show me how to make one cut and pull the guts and the skin off all at once. I couldn't beleive how easy it worked. I'm hoping some one can refresh my memory on how to do it.

------------------
Huck

fishinphyl

Hello Huck: Years ago my grandmother who loved to fish use to cut a slit through the skin and around the entire body of the bull heads just below the head. She would then nail the fish to the garage wall and pull the skin off with a pair of pliers. She would then cut the head off. I am not sure about how she got the guts out though. All I remember was how mad my grandpa got everytime he caught us cleaning fish in his garage.

------------------
Phyl

I've seen them cleaned just like a Walleye and it worked pretty slick, when he was done he had 2 nice fillets and no bones or nothing
Jason

------------------
fishing fever guide service
fishingminnesota.com/fishingfever/
phone 218-327-2191
e-mail boser@grandrapidsmn.com

nunzio

huck;
Cleaning bullheads is fairly easy. I spent a winter working for a company that netted bullheads through the ice. A buddy and I cleaned a pick up box full every night. We started off with a pair of those cotton gloves with the little beads on them. These provide a good grip. We also had a pair of spring loaded pliers with a small triangle of hack saw blade soldered to the pliers. Any way, pick up the fish by the head (use the fins/barbs for "handles" for your finger and thumb), make the cut behind the head. Grip the skin and pull the skins all of the way off (back to the tail). Then use your thumb to remove the insides. Snap the "neck" and pull off the head. Then you are ready to wash. Make sure that you make the cut behind the head long enough or you will pull off the belly meat (the short cut will remove most of the insides with the skin/belly meat). Be carefull of the barbs, the produce a nasty wound that gets infected easily. I hope this helps. -nunzio

NINETOE

nunzio , I hope you got paid real good for that job!! I dont even want to imagine doing that kind or amount of work smile.gif

------------------
...the MYSTERY is abound...

curt quesnell

Nunzio...

Must have been in Browns Valley, Bullhead
Capitol of the World.

Curt Quesnell

nunzio

Actually it was a small fishery in Squaw Lake Mn in the early 80's. Paid the bills for a winter. -nunzio

huckfin

nunzio;
Your method sounds as close as I can remember. Do you cut about 2/3rds the way down? I'll have to get out and try to get a bucket full for the smoker, and give it a try. Sounds like alot more fun than cleaning a truck load !!!!!!!!! THANKS EVERYONE

------------------
Huck

[This message has been edited by huckfin (edited 04-19-2002).]

nunzio

Huck;
That would be about right. From fin to fin.
We used to get $2.50 per 30 lb can. It still makes me shudder just thinking of all those bullheads. Lots of free trap bait tho smile.gif -nunzio

MnSportsman

Same way as other fish, just watch the spines .
It definately stings like heck, if ya poke yourself with one.

[This message has been edited by MnSportsman (edited 04-21-2002).]