Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  

Must have colors

I have been shuffling through my catalogs trying to get ready for this seasons fishing.Now I want one of everything in every color pattern but I just don't think my budget will allow it(or my wife)If you had to pick just three color patterns to do the best to cover most water conditions what would they be?

Black/black, pink/yellow, white/white.

Those are my minimums...However a little purple in the box helps quite a bit.

PCG

You need to be more specific on type of lures and for which species. For example, in days of yore, I sought northern at every chance I had (I lived in Missouri then, and we didn't have them there). Why, I do not know, but red/white Dardevle would always out fish the same lure in black/white -- yet, today I use black in most other types of lures much more than red -- contemporary exception being steelhead.

The old argument of fish being color blind has long since been refuted -- by on the water experience for guys like us, and by controlled lab experiments by scientists.

I was intentionally vague to get more responses for all species.And to let this thread go where it may.I also don't want to limit it to just one type of lure becuase we use all types of lure for the same species.
I know that certain species favor certain colors.For example I have never used pink when targeting walleyes but when fishing for crappies I would not be with out it.
I am also looking for the visibility factor.
I understand that in certain water colors,clarities certain colors are more visible.In turbid water(the water I fish most)I stock up on high frequency colors like neon yellow,flo orange,flo red.
When fishing clear water I typically go with natural colors or patterns,(perch shad)Stained water I usually go with golds and and low frequency reds.
Deep water(30ft+)I typically don't fish because of mortality rates but if I did I would use something with light blue on it.Why do I go with these colors?,it just because I have either had luck with these or have read that these are colors to use in these conditions.What have your experiances been?
I have fished certain lakes also where a specific color seems to be the best.Such as on more than one occasion fishing on Leech the only way to get pike was to use a lure that was mostly flo red.It didn't even matter what kind of lure,just that it was flo red.
On Vermillion I have seen where size and action was a key also,but without a specific color pattern those were useless.
I am just trying to get a discussion going on colors/patterns and the best applications for them.
So what are your "go to" patterns/colors for your favorite species in various water conditions?

[This message has been edited by fishhead (edited 03-24-2002).]

Rippinlip    0
Rippinlip

Boy oh boy,
Where to start,
Maybe I will shoot by species:
Bass: Jigs, black,black-chartreuse,black-red
Cranks, crawfish,silver,chartreuse
Spinnerbaits, white,yellow,black-orange
Panfish: white,chartreuse,pink

Walleye: spinners, chartreuse,red-white,hammered silver
cranks, silver-black,firetiger,crawfish
hooks, just the bleeding red.

Northerns: red & black, silver, white.
(all lures in this combo)

guideman    119
guideman

Hi Guys,
Color choices, can vary even between anglers on the same body of water. If
only one pattern was catching fish the
number of successful anglers would be
mush less.

Muskytom and I both fish Vermilion and we both have success. I throw alot of the bright colors like firetiger, red, pink, white, and chartruce.

Tom on the other hand, throws alot of
natural colors and is very successful
with them. He has convidence in that
pattern and it works for him.
What I'm getting at is, color is more of a convidence thing for the angler. It you believe in it, use it!

I believe in certain colors and those are the ones that I throw the most. I in turn, catch more fish on those colors, than I do on colors I use less often. smile.gif

So no matter what the reason is, if you believe in a color use it. Convidence in your presentation is a big factor, in becoming a successful angler.

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
aceguideservice.com

[This message has been edited by guideman (edited 03-24-2002).]

On a specific lake for patterns on Crappies: Tea colored water;

For three weeks after ice out: white on white

Spawn through June: Pink on Yellow

July through October: pink on chartreus; black.

For clear water on constantly use white/white and black/black, and pink/white.

For dark water: Pink/yellow, Orange.

Winter I consistently use glow jigs and ratfinkie jigs...Colors include purple, pink, black, and graphite.

Some best success for finicky fish comes on a plain hook with a sinker crimped to it. I use this as a "strike" lure. That means that even if I detect no hit from the fish, I automatically set the hook when the signals meet on the locator. Teardrop shaped glow jigs also work excellent for this method.

In the winter I seldom stray from Maggots. They work well and are easier to keep then minnows. They also seem to trigger a quicker bite then to let a fish "take" a minnow.

In the spring/early summer I use Crappie minnows tipped on feather jigs. This is about the only time I use bobbers. Adjust-A-Bubble.

July through October I use plain 1/32 oz. maribue jigs free casting in open water.

I have never used different colors for different depths. I have found on certain lake that different colors trigger different size fish though. Also, at certain times, different jigging techniques bring in different size fish also.

For example: plain hook on minnow suspended under small float = 1/2-10oz Crappies consistantly.

Vertical jigging with feather jigs and wax worms = 1lb and better Crappies consistantly on the same lake at the same time on the same spot.
Different size fish are attracted to different baits and actions at certain times.

Just a few patterns I use on a regualr basis.

thanks much and good fishing!

PCG

My confidence colors that always seem start on the line are;
Walleyes = gold or orange
Crappies = white or pink "glow"
Muskies = Black

Of course all other colors are patiently waiting their turn in the tackle box, but the most battle scars are on the colors mentioned above " my bread and butter colors"

Time-on-the-water!