• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Poll:

Are you right or left handed_______

Which hand do you reel with for spinning reels_______

Which hand do you reel with for bait-casting reels_______

Thanks to all who participate!

Right
Right
Right
P.S. What's weird is that I cast the bait caster with my left hand and the spinner with my right!! I think it's because growing up my old man made me fish one side of the boat and I had to cast one of those old "Plfuegers" left handed!! They were the only reels he owned and still fishes with today!!

I think it's time to get you guys back on the water! smile.gif
I am right handed....I cast with either hand...and use left handed spinning and
right hand baitcasting. However, I have
left hand retrieve on my trolling rods.

Pretty interesting stuff. smile.gif

------------------
Terry Sjoberg
Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
aceguideservice.com

Scott,
Just what GuideGuide said. I really can't explain why (must be a Norwegian/Swedish kind of thing). I cast with my right hand doing 95% of the work involved. The left hand just hangs in there on the cast.

CD,
Can't be a Norweigian/Sweedish thing cause I'm German/English...lol
I don't have an explanation either, I've just always done it like that. Maybe because whith a spinning reel, the rod is in my right hand which is my power hand and most reels can be switched so you can reel on the left, while most baitcasters are right-hand retrieve, even though the rod is held in the weaker hand. Just a thought.

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/gullguide
Brainerd-Mille Lacs-Willmar
Bemidji-Ottertail

RIGHT LEFT RIGHT

THE LEFT HAND IS FOR HOLDING MINNOWS AND BEER STEADY...OH AND FOR *********ING!

WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH GOING ON.

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

I am right handed. Reel right handed for both spinning and casting. I cast with my left hand mostly. the right hand rides along. I used those spincast reels when i was younger and they were always right handed. I just made the jump to a right handed spinning reel. I like the topic. people say i am wierd for reeling a spinning reel right handed.
bf

I fish out of the left side, tiller control with left hand, am right handed, left for spinning, right hand for bait-casting. Am a swicht hitter with landing net. (lol) good topic looks like most fisherman ambidextrous. ricbak

Right
Left
Right
I have used a left handed baitcaster and it was kinda nice not having to switch hands after the cast.I have been thinking about getting a few.

Eat left
Throw right
Bat right
Write left
Tennis/ping-pong left

Spinning reel -- Right
Baitcaster -- Right

Hold rod -- Left
Most lefties I know fish the same. And, remember, only lefties are in their right mind. :^)

This is in interesting cross section of handedness that we have going here.

Had to think about it for a minute, but...
Right
Left
Right

What's the poll going to be used for? Product development or just the entertainment value?

As I write this the poll is split like this.

Switchers - 63%

True to one side - 37%

Spikeroberts,
I did the poll because I wanted to find out if how we reel was a learned behavior or something we chose on our own. Even though I didn't directly ask that question I new some of you would voice your thoughts.

Another reason is to use the info to better prepare for the demands of customers. These results will be in the back of my mind as I pick up some new equipment in the near future.

Thank you to all who have taken part thus far. Folks please keep the stats coming to make for a more accurate poll!!

Right, Right, Right.

Occasionally I do switch to the left, just for practice. I never know when I might lose some fingers doodling for catfish. wink.gif

Left
Left
Right

I'd have to call myself an ambi...cast w/either arm, write left handed, throw w/right arm, kick w/left foot, bat left handed (right eye dominant), shoot right handed. I wrestled years ago and could perform most all moves either way.

FLB