• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Should I go?

Dave

Was thinking about going up to Mille Lacs on Thursday morning. Is it worth the trip? How's the walleye bite going?

I can let you know a report from the South end on Wed night. My roommate is going up tonight and coming back on Wed night. I will post a report here on Wed to let you know what is happening.

It's definitely worth it. The walleye bite has been really steady and the perch action is heating up. The deep edge of the gavel and the deep edge of the mud flats have been kicking out plenty of perch. The mud has been the place to be for walleyes.

Super Ron

------------------
Ron Anlauf's Guide Service http://fishingminnesota.com/ranlauf/ Phone: 320-396-2133

SuperRon, when you say the deep edge of the mud, are you saying the the bottom of the break that is off the top edge of the flat, or are you referring to a transition area slightly away from the deep break? As you can tell my experience on the mud is limited, but I am looking to learn to fish the mud, and actually get out there and do it.Thanks.

Dave: Myself and a friend fished Millacs Lake Friday and Saturday iced 26 walleyes. We managed to catch a few slots but most of our fish were big 20-25 inches. We fished the mud-flats. I also managed to catch a 26 and 27 incher. The fish made for great catch and release photos. The key depths we hit fish on seem to be 27 ft on the edge of the flat. The best presentation for us was Buck-shot spoons and Jigging Rapala's. The colors that were the best was the perch patterns. The reason the walleyes are keying in on this color is that there are tons of trout perch [1-3 inchers] cruising on top off the flats.

Well the south end it a dead sea! I was up there last Friday through Sunday and only got a few perch and a by-chance 28" eye. My roommate was up there from Monday until Wed night and they only caught 5 perch and one small eye the entire time! Every one they talked with is seeing the same thing,...little to no action at all. Good luck to anybody going up this weekend, but I think I am going to take this weekend off and get ready for Gull next weekend!

Hey Dave, did you make the trip up the the Pond this last weekend? If so, I'm curious how you did. I'll be heading up on the 27th. Just one more weekend away from the ice.

No, I didn't go up. I went to Independence instead and didn't do well during the day. Couldn't spend the evening either. frown.gif

Huskminn, I was up on the north end this last weekend, but it was pretty slow I ended up keeping 6 decent perch. I fished the contest at Banacles on Saturday no bites, but I saw the 2nd and 3rd place eel pout being caught.

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like typical mid-winter fishing, but I'm still going because there's gotta be feeding fish somewhere out there.

I'll check back as it gets closer to the 27th.

Good luck.......