Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CAB

Beretta Extrema...Slugs?

11 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a Beretta Xtrema 26" shotgun mainly for turkey hunting but was wondering if anyone has had any success shooting slugs through one with any accuracy.

[This message has been edited by CAB (edited 10-14-2004).]

Never used the Xtrema, but my bud has an older Beretta semi auto with 28" bird barrel with IC choke and it shoots rifle slugs with the best of them. At 50yrds 3 shots into a softball and 100yrds into a pie plate with no problem.

[This message has been edited by Mr Special (edited 10-15-2004).]

It's a back-bored gun. DO NOT SHOOT SLUGS!!!!!

Just wondering what a back-bored gun is? Never hear the term before.

Thanks

After the forcing cone, the barrel is opened up wider than the diameter of the shell/slu. The slug would wobble down the barrel. Imagine what that would do!

A 3 1/2" slug would pound the **** out of you. I have found one other site on the net that mentions where slugs might be problematic with a backbored barrel. This to me is just opinion.

To get the definitive answer the best thing to do is call Beretta USA and ask them if the backbored barrel is safe for slugs.

gspman

Thanks guys never knew that. I guess that could be very bad. Do you know if all Beretta's were made that way. Just wondering if my bud knows and if his gun is the same. He has used it for a couple of seasons now though.

Thanks

Not all are made that way. I have an AL 391 Urika which shoots slugs quite well.

GSPMAN, the Urika and the Extrema are two different guns. The Extrema is back-bored, the Urika is not. Apples and oranges.

A slug in a back-bored gun performs poorly at best. At worst, it's dangerous.

A 3.5 slug would be insanity. The ballistics comparison between the 2-3/4 and the 3" are minnimal enough to not warrant the abuse. The 3.5 would be just plain foolish.

Irvingdog, Thanks for the warning!
At this point I think I'll hold off on the slug idea. Maybe at some future date Beretta will make a slug barrel for this gun. A 3-1/2" slug would be pretty cool.

Yup, I know they're different. The thought of setting off a 3.5" slug gives me the willie's. I'm not man enough for that kind of beating.