• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

DNR on Land?

mudman

What are the rules of the DNR coming on private land.
Is it true that if you have a gate at the access point on your property that they have to call and get permission or at least tell you that they are going to go on your land?
I thought there was a rule change a year or two ago?

I would think if they have a TIP or something, that is their legal entry point anywhere they want.

The rule change had to do with illegal searches of property I think.

I just don't worry about it.

The DNR can come visit any time they want on our land. Heck, I would love if they visited more often. Then we wouldn't have to worry as much about jokers tresspassing, poaching, etc....

Boy do I agree with biglake!!!! I have owned hunting property up north for 14 years, when we purchased it the locals were really upset because they hunted it and considered it their's even though it was private and posted. We also have a county road that runs through the property and the road hunter's are ridicules, in Aug. you see 2-3 cars per day driving down the road, from the opening of grouse until the end of deer season, there's 30-40 trips up and down the road. Most of them are the same guy's driving around, road hunting, on top of that, there are a couple of guy's that park there truck on a paved county road, load their guns and stand on the road waiting for something to run across. Any time we try to approach them, they get into their truck and speed off. We've called the DNR and complained, but the response we get is, "there's too few of us to go around and the person would probably be gone by the time we get there". So if the game warden made a pass or two by our hunting shack during deer season, I'd be happy to invite him in for coffee, any day.

Ole

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 10-01-2004).]

we had a dnr officer walking our back yard just after dusk with night vision binoculars,,watching people fish from shore,,now i dont mind some1 asking if i hv a fishing license, but i found this kind of extreme and uncomfortable with som1 walking around at night with night vision binocs.

I agree that they are welcome anytime they want, however. I do not enjoy them walking up to me on private land locked land (private land surround by private land) at 6pm on a thursday night asking me for my licenses and if this is my property.
Which it was and I have the 3 season $79 2 deer licenses.
I asked him how he got on my property and he said he opened my gate and drove in.
Of course I didn't argue with him but it made me think.. mmmm?
That might be kind of pushing their limit

[This message has been edited by mudman (edited 10-01-2004).]

mudman,
I would agree, if he came up to you while you were bow hunting at 6:30 in the evening, you have every right to be %$*&$ed off!! He could have waited for you to finish your hunt before checking you.

Ole

They can come any property they please in some cases. However, they can't just wonder on to private property unless they know someone is fishing or hunting there. If they see you hunting or fishing, they can check you with no probable cause. They have much more power than a regular police officer. I do not know of any CO that would walk out and interupt your deer hunt unless they see you doing something wrong (I am sure there might be an exception out there). Most are polite and do their job well. They are welcome at my place anytime and we do have one that stops for breakfast from time to time!

I once had a game warden walk in my uncles cabin and announce Freezer Check! Scared the heck out of me. This wasn't my place and I had no idea what was in my uncles freezer.I thought to myself this is not a good way to start the week at deer camp!!!!

Come to find out the game warden was a friend of my uncles and my uncle was playing a trick on me..

Thanks all!
For some reason I thought the law changed and made the DNR have to make an effort to contact the land owner.

Oh well to some extent I am glad he was out there but there the other side of me that says that too much government control.

I got a good one for you all.

I haven't hunted ducks in years but I used to hunt quite a bit in western MN, around Hoffman/Herman areas and also on Marsh Lake on the western side of Lac Qui Parle. When ever we hunted Marsh lake, we landed at the access that dumps into the MN River, when we would return to the landing, the game warden was always there to check out what we had shot, our license and if we were using steel shot. He was a very nice older gentleman with white hair and he loved to BS with all the hunters that came in. I also think he must have been a trainer for the new DNR officer's, because he always seemed to have a new young one with him each time we were there. One particular hunt we came into the landing and one of these "rookie's" came running down to our boat and he jumped right in with us as soon as the boat hit the sand. Of course the bottom of the boat had some water in it and he slipped and fell on his, you know what, knocking decoy bags and ducks flying all over. I could see the badge on his jacket, so I knew who he was, but I said, "who the --ll are you", he tries to compose himself and say's, "I'm the game warden". I asked him if it wasn't proper procedure to announce himself before jumping into the boat, he just layed there staring at me, he didn't know what to say. I look up at the oldtimer with the white hair and he's just standing there shaking his head. I ask the warden laying on the bottom of my boat, exactly what do you want and why did you need to jump into my boat? His response was, "I need to check you out before you can hide anything", my gosh, were at the landing in plain sight, what were we going to hide??? I walked up to the oldtimer and he just said, "I'm sorry, I guess he's a little over anxious", and he continued to stand there shaking his head.

Ole

I would welcome the sight of a DNR officer on my land. I have been hunting the same land for 19 years and have never even seen one drive down the road, let alone get checked for a license.
I do not know how the laws pertain to the DNR officers, but as long as they don't interfere with a hunt ( during prime time )unless they have probable cause.
I would have no objection to it.I can understand them not waiting around for 2 hours for a person to get back to their truck to check them. As one officer said "there are only so many of them and many miles to cover".
There's my 2 pennies

Splittin hairs!!

ole- I think I know who that "older" game warden that you were talking about. His name was Steve, he was a pretty nice guy. IF we are talking about the same guy, he retired a few years ago.
I was checked for a license once while bowhunting, but at least the officer was nice enough to wait till after shooting hours to approach.

A CO can legaly go any where they want to go, they are imune to the search and sesure laws.
That's why the cops use them to raid a house, they send the CO in unannounced and follow right behind him as he calls them for back up.
Then any thing they may find is evedence againt you regaurdless of the search and sesure law.

It is up to you to prove your legal and up to the judge to dismiss the case if they have one.

The legal system does not work in your favor at all if your inocent,it just cost you time off from work and money to prove you are legal.

The law that made them stop and ask permission was over turned because Minnesota government was loosing to much money from our court fee's we have to pay if your issued a ticket or arrested.

Benny

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 10-03-2004).]

I am not aware of a conservation officer ever pulling something like you described Benny. They only enforce game and fish laws and other infractions like DWI. I seriously doubt the CO will charge into your house to arrest you for murder!

I've had nothing but plesant experiences with CO's. Of course I've heard many others complain about the ticket they got, but I say if ya got a ticket, you were doing something wrong.

My .02

I think the same!! the only ones you hear complain are the ones getting caught

I was just wondering what happened with the laws?

I have NO problem with the DNR I wish there were more of them to help get rid of the bad apples that ruin hunting and fishing for the rest of us.

Well believe what you want, I have seen them do this before in person.I grew up with a lot of people who decided to become peace officers and CO's, I often have a beer and chat with them about thier adventures.

They have termenduos power to do thier jobs with, don't think they are afraid to use it either.

And by the way, who said any thing about murder???I only stated they are used by the cops to enter the house,it is not the CO who makes the arrest unless there is a game or fish law broken.

Benny

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 10-04-2004).]

I do agree with you, they have a lot of power, more than a peace officer. However, despite their power, using a CO to enter a house for a crime that is not related to a fish and game violation or a crime that the CO had not directly witnessed would never hold up in court. It would be an illegal s & S. If that is happening, they should be fired for abusing thier power! The cops should as well! Just my opinion!

Gentlemen,.....where do you get your info? A C.O. does NOT have the right to enter your house without probable cause, and will not likely be the first in on a high risk entry, unless on the highly trained Special Entry Team.. He IS a law enforcement officer, and so, YES, may arrest you for any crime you commit against Mn Statutes. There must be "probable cause" that a crime has been committed. He has jurisdiction over the whole state, but does not have more "power" than a police officer as you suggest.

They do have waay too much power though... they still shouldnt be able to come to your house without a warrant at least or something..

its funny that they need a search warrant to get in my house if im cookin crystal meth, but if i had an extra deer in the freezer it would be all over....

[This message has been edited by Nitebiter (edited 10-10-2004).]

Learn the MN statutes. A CO still needs probable cause or reasonableness to enter a private residence. People are still talking about the old days of doing things.

No Law Enforcement officer would hopefully do something that stupid. W/O proper clear and articuable reason ie. documentation, witnesses testimony or physical evidence would they enter a residence.

If your so concerned or confused call and ask. And yes calling in a tip line does give them some authority to act same as using a confidential informant. Enough of this topic.
big drift

I've hunted deer, grouse, and duck in Alida (Near Itasca state park) on Upper Rice lake and the DNR officer in that area is great! A friend has had his place broken into a number of times and the officer and local police officer have said to get an alarm system that alerts him at home when the home is broken into and he will respond in minutes. (He lives like two miles away) I thought it was a great gesture for a DNR officer and local cop to team up to catch a petty criminal. There are also poachers that have come by and shot deer in my friends field and left them for dead! I would love to by a DNR officer. I would respect the good hunters and ruin the bad ones!

[This message has been edited by buzzsaw (edited 10-11-2004).]