• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gander Mountain price gouging ????

big drift

Maybe I am off on this but I don't think so. Back in august went to GM to purchase shotgun shells for the upcoming seasons and the employees there said to hold off until just before season starts to get better buys. So i did and surprise i goto pick up shells for a No Dak pheasant hunt and the price went up from 5.99 to 9.99 a box with the old price still listed underneath. I asked one of the gun counter guys what was up and he said just a price change w/ season coming. Ok maybe it was just a fluke. Went back 2 days prior to goose opener and the shells for geese went up also 3-4.00 a box. These were on federal and Winchester xpert.
Again I was told that it was season adjust. Went back for duck loads and got some of the loads that did not go up in price but noticed that there were some that had and still w/ the old prices listed below. Went to ask the manager what was up if maybe I was missing something but doing what i do for a living i try hard to keep the facts straight. he was busy and kids were getting squirrley so i left in talking to others about they are saying the thing prices are not very consistent and the hot buys are not seeming to be so hot. Am i missing something or what. Not trying to start a s*** storm here but really wondering if this was fubar'd or what. has anyone else noticed this.?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

It's a good question Big Drift.

Also, for those of you who started another thread asking a question and then fighting about who was being rude. Please don't do that again. I just now saw it for the 1st time.

If you want to know what happenned with something, please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom. Putting a post up asking a question how the forum is run may or may never get you an answer depending on how lucky you are.

Thanks.

Now back to this very interesting topic. Keep it friendly and don't bash or attack, please.

I'm sure I'll be accused of being the one with a personal agenda, being an employee of the company, but that aside, I can assure you there is no insidious plot by a room full of fat balding white guys trying to figure out how to put the screw to their customers. Having many years of retail experience under my belt in many walks of life (including Ganders primary metro competitor) I can tell you that there is no different approach to how profit is made within this company compared to any other. The conspiracy does not exist. Businesses have a right (and an obligation to their shareholders) to make profit. So yes, you've probably seen a discrepancy here or there. It happens in the mom-and-pops, and it happens in multi-million dollar companys. I've personally witnessed a locally (within the state) owned hunting store that does not put pricing on thier guns (by haggle only, please) rip off a poor guy who didn't have any idea of the value of the gun he was buying. It would have been funny if it wasn't so sad.

I regularly watch people fume over the price of a box of shells, while pushing a cart full of 1lb propane bottles that we sell at 1.89 all day every day. Sams Club will burn you on price every now and again if your not careful. Want to save money? Shop smart! Margin on products is determined by lumping like items into classes. If the class is under-performing, good sellers within that class sometimes need to go up to improve the performance of that class. Walmart, Target, gasoline, Cub foods. It's all the same. Gander didn't get this big by being crooked, and they didn't get this big by being stupid.

BTW, I wasn't being rude in the last thread either. I've got a four year old boy that waits for no man. Someone asked why they could not find the post, and I said it was because it was moved. I'd have looked for the proper thread and linked it if I'd have had the time, but a certain 4 year old had other plans for me. Rude would have been to ignore the question had I known the answer.

I do not dispute the fact a buisness has a right to make a profit. However it should not flaunt it in their customers faces first telling them to wait for a sale that never came nor leave the old prices on the items and also the new increases. furthermore once this issue was addressed they finally go and clean up the price tags the very next day.

I just do not believe in taking advantage of folks for the sake of a profit. Especially in an industry that requires consistent support from these same consumers. Burn them to many times and the profits will be going away. Not meant to insult or attack just be responsible and respectful of customers/consumers.

I love Gander, they have a price match policy that is great. If another store has the exact same roduct for a lower cost, gander will match the price and give you double the difference up to $50.

I hope they overprice something, then I can get a deal on it. Here's a good example:

I bought a 11-87 12 gauge for my wife last year, the price at Gander was $625, but it was $575 at another store. They called the other store for a price check to verify it, then sold me the gun at $525.

Ole

good eye Ole. I did the same with a benneli nova a couple years back and got a steal. You just have to know your products and know your prices. Dont be in a rush. As a diehard hunter I know a good deal on shells when I see it. Buy by the case when you see a good deal they never go bad.

If GM has a good price on a product Wlamart,Fleetfarm and everyone else will have that same price.

Ron

Big Drift,

First, as a guy who spent most of the day today pricing Steel Shotshells in the Bemidji Gander, I can try to shed some light on your question and or statement. In years past pretty much everyone held a preseason sale on shells as part of a festival weekend or Hunting primer kick off of some sort. Then the manufacturers started the rebates and many stores advertised these prices as sale prices or incentive prices to show value, while keeping some margin in its coffers. But hunters are a smart bunch and now, most retailers set a price and then run to the competition with pen in hand and recorders in pockets and price comp. the local competition. Prices go up, it's a sad fact. Prices, as the competition is checked, often goes down or possibly stays the same. I know, I see all the guys come in the store and they all see me when I'm in their's. (I really get a kick out of one store that announces over the intercom that I'm in the store) With Ganders Price matching policy we have to keep up with the changes as best as we can. Carrying the selection of shotshells, centerfire and rimfire that we do it can be quite difficult to keep up on everyone of them. But I do assure you that we try to do our best. Tomorrow will find me back in the lead shot shell dept. restacking and pricing and straightening and organizing all with a smile because Friday morning i'm off to North Dakota to chase some Bluebills and Mallards, around the Rugby area. Six days of duck shooting! Man, I can't wait! So if your in town and want to chat stop in, I'll be there, Can't miss me, Big Guy, price gun and a smile. But after 5, and I'm gone.

Spike

Hey ya Spike,

Actually you have talked to me a couple of times. i can tell you that the birds are in in NoDak atleast south of I-94 down to 13 best area west of Valley city to medina. Not much in the feilds and we looked but the potholes are full. If ya chase roosters ya should be about right for crops to come off. now back to the issue i don't have an issue w/ competitivness i don't like to be told to wait for a sale that i never did see and then seeing the prices go up w/ the old prices still on the boxes and shelves maybe it is just me. I realize you are managing the store and doing the best ya can however when the store representatives (employees) tell us to wait to get a deal then the prices increase dramatically what the heck am i and others are supposed to think. i did try to contact ya but schedules did not work out or you were busy or either or the other of us was gone hunting or fishing. Please do not think I am trying to just target your store this was noticed in several GM stores from the cities, the north shore ( the river run is starting by the way), out to fargo. I am happy that issue has been addressed and the prices are better monitored. I still make some purchases at your store that I cannot get elsewhere. In fact we have recently purchased two of your firearms. Anyway I vented and this subject is getting old. I'll catch ya later.

big drift