Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
B. Amish

Cover Scent

B. Amish

ANybody out there ever try making their own cover scent by heating pine needles, leaves, acorns, etc in water, then straining it into a spray bottle?

bigbucks

Sounds like a lot of work to me. Scent block or killer works fine & is pretty cheap. I rub my hands or clothes in leaves, grass, or dirt sometimes. If you're in a cow pasture step in a fresh pie on purpose.

Dan Thiem

I'll purposely step in deer poop and sqiush it around a little.Just to get it stuck in the lugs of my boots.

jlm

I usually collect deer tirds throughout the Winter and freeze them. Come fall I add all the tirds to the bath tub along with some nice hot water. I let it marinate for approximately one day and then add pine needles, some dirt, a road kill skunk, and some salt. I usually let this soak for about 24 hours. Next I put all my gear on and slowly lower myself into the tub. I back stroke for approximately 2 minutes or until completely soaked with marinade. I am then off to my stand. Repeat this process if winded! LOL! Had to throw that in. I have never made my own either, I usually use fox or skunk urine!

bigbucks

jlm, I was going to ask how many minutes from the time you started brewing your concoction in the "bathtub" until your wife's lawyer showed up?

I use coon scent as a cover scent generally, sometimes I don't use anything, but scent blocker. I don't want them to associate a certain animal with actually being me either.

Dan Thiem

Speaking of cover scents, I was wondering about the fox, skunk, coyote,etc.urine.
Do they have a shelf life? I thought that the urine has some sort of ammonia or something (I'm no chemist) in it.Wouldn't that start to spoil or get kind of rotten in some way ? Start to break down.
Also, I don't see alot of fox or skunks or even coyotes in my area so I wonder if a urine cover scent would be a bad thing to do ?

thore

I believe in no scent is the best scent. Get a pair of rubber boats and a scent blocker outfit use a little carbon spray and hit the woods. Using cover scent doesn't mask your scent. It just put two scents in the air yours and the cover scent.

PerchJerker

I'm with thore - no cover scent, just scent control products. But during the prerut/rut I might use doe pee as cover scent, or doe pee or one of the estrus scents as an attractant.

EXTREME

I only use scent spray and scent lok suits. Good rubber boots are a key. Also, use gloves when climbing and putting up tree steps. It makes a heck of a difference when direct sweaty palm scent is not on your steps. Deer seem to be completely oblivious to your presence....knock on wood! Good luck this season!

dwag70

try that earth scent stuff I use it with great success smells just like wet dirt and moss shot the last deer in deer season 5ft out while sitting in my stand and had to let it move from the left to the right right infront of me and never looked up at me 6pt buck too.

Stratosman

I like to store my garb in a plastic bag and throw a couple of those H.S. Scent fresh earth wafers in there, that and I wear a fresh one on me while I'm hunting, between that and controlling my owm scent I have had good results.

dwag70

That is the spray I use H S earth cover scent. I could not remeber the brand name yesterday. Stuff works great!!!! Wont stain the hunting clothes and it has never discolored any of my leather stuff either

H S makes some good stuff at resonable prices Like the True Talker best grunt tube out there (I dont work there even though i sound like there salesman) Just like stuff that works!!!