• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

looking for a scope

sunrise lipripper

I am looking for a new scope for a 30-06 Rem. 7400. When it comes to scopes, I'm not very savey... I hunt in an area that my shot will be around 30-150yrds.

I would like to stay aroung $100-$125

Does anyone have any suggestions?
thanks for the advise..in advance...
SL

Sunrise,

I'm sure you will recive a variety of opinions on this subject, here's mine.

I have 5 high powered rifles with scopes, all are Bushnell, I can't remember the model name, I think it's Sportsman. All are 3-9 variable, 2 have bullet drop compensators. The first one I bought was WAY back when there was a Labell's store in Richfield, I paid $35.00 for it. I have it mounted on a Rem. 700 BDL 7mm Mag, I have shot this rifle many times and the scope hasn't given me any trouble. I have since purchased the remainder of the Bushnell scopes I have and I don't think I've paid over $60.00 for any of them.

Ole

I would dump an extra $125 and get your self a Leupod. It will be the last one you buy. 3x9 adjustable with the antifogging glass should do the trick.
I bought one 5 years ago for my 30.06 and love it.
You have to have confidence when shooting. the last thing you want is to second guess your shot.
I put all 5 rounds in a golfball size circle @ 100yds

You should also take a look at the Leupold VXI 2x7 power scope. It would be a fine fit for you 7400. The 2x would be great for the under 50 yard shots. Gander has them for $159 and will mount and bore sight it for $18.

I have a 3 X 9 Weaver that was somewhere in that $125 range I think, on my model 7400 30.06. I've never had a problem with it & it will put them right in there too. I bought mine at Scheels in St. Cloud when I bought the gun 6-7 years ago.

I have both Bushnell and Leupold scopes.
Both are very good.

I have the Bushnell 3 x 9 Trophy scope ($109.00) and It is perfect. It is one awesome scope for the money. It hasn't given me a problem ever. -6 years so far and counting.

My leupold is also very good, but is out of the price range you are looking for.

Great hunting.

Fishfanatic

I guess I have a question for everyone. I have had my original Bushnell scope for 23 years, it's as clear today as the day I bought it for $35.00, why would I want to spend... $250-$350 for a more expensive scope? And my 7mm Mag. groups are the size of a silver dollar at 100 yards.

I'm not looking to get anyone in a huff, I'm just curious.

PS I bough the Bushnell to replace a Weaver that was only 3 years old and it went bad. Fogged up on the inside.

Ole

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 08-31-2004).]

When shooting during mid-day, all scopes are pretty good. Shooting in low light conditions is a whole different ballgame. Cheaper scopes (I am not knocking them) will not perform nearly as well as more expensive glass. You will notice a night and day difference with a Bushnell scope and a Nikon scope. The same can be said when comparing Nikon to Swarovski. Another major consideration is high recoil rifles. Some cheaper scopes will not be able to handle the recoil and will throw off your accuracy...if not something worse. Just something to consider!

jlm,

My brother-in-law has a hand made Golden Eagle 7mm Mag. with a Swarovski on it, we have compared my scope to his in low light conditions and neither one of us could tell any difference, besides, I have great clarity until legal shooting time is over anyway.

As for big recoil rifles, my 700 BDL is about as abusive as I want to shoot, and I've had no problems with it. In fact when sighting in the last 3-4 years, I haven't needed to even make any adjustment.

Sunrise, like I said you'll get a variety of opinions here.

It reminds me of the days when I worked in the corporate world and we had a company trap league. I would shoot my old camo 870 next to the corporate bigwig shooting his $3500-$5000 special made trap guns and I'd run 50 straight and they'd maybe get 42-46. It used to really burn them up.

Ole

Ole; I used to do the same with my old Wingmaster...sure chapped the big wheels at the trap club. Using a "trombone" vs a double barrel.....they say I had no chance. smile.gifAs far as the question at hand; I think what you are paying for in scopes is quality. You have obviously had good luck with your Bushnell....that is awesome; but I guarantee you that not everybody else has. You pay money for clarity of lenses, parts that don't fall off, and most important; they don't move when you are shooting a 300 mag. I have also noticed that when you are sighting them in the cheap scopes say "1/4"" per click....it seems more like 10 clicks to move a 1/4 inch. A very important thing to remember; your scope is only as good as your rings. You must have good rings or you are wasting your time....my .02 cents...good luck!

I agree with the guys in favor of the Weaver. Tough to beat for that price range you're interested in. My father, brother, and self all own Weaver V10's. However, I upgraded to a Burris Fullfield II, which runs about $200, on my deer rifle. I'd say the difference is easily worth $75, but that depends on your budget and how much you hunt.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I see that I have a little homework to do. I will be looking this weekend and hopefully finding one that I like. I am one that believes you get what you pay for. So I might have to open the wallet a little more.

thanks again...
SL

Besure to look at the eye relief on the less expendsive scopes (or any scope), some are not that good. At greater powers, the relief will become less on most scopes, some stay constant.

Here is a good article about scopes.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/product_features/buyers_guide/pages/hardgoods/optics/riflescope_711020.jhtml

Ole, I am not knocking cheaper scopes at all, I own a couple of Bushnell scopes and other products. I also own several other brand scopes and have compared them in low light conditions. I can say without a doubt that my more expensive scopes are much better in low light. Particularly if you have it cranked up to higher magnification. Isn't a 7400 a semi-automatic? Regardless, you are happy with the brand you have chosen. That is great! I however have not had that good of luck with cheaper scopes. Maybe I am just unlucky, I am not sure.

I had a less expensive scope, a very low budget Simmons, on my Browning .243, it would fog up after I would look through it for awhile. It sucked if I was following a deer as I waited for a better shot in the woods and then my scope would fog up. I would let it unfog a little then have to rush my shot so I wouldn't have to worry about the lens fogging up. The was a pain! After using that for 3 years, I bought a nice scope.

It is nice to buy something with a lifetime warranty. Most brands have this if you buy from a certified retail of theirs (some on ebay don't count as a "certified retail", but a great place to find a good deal on new stuff; like save 20% or more and no taxes).

Leupold is a great brand name with a great warranty as most are, they start at about 160 or so. Nikon to me, seems to be brighter lens during the low light. But any of the scopes mention should do the trick, Weaver, Bushnell, Weaver, Nikon, Leupold, etc.... Most brands have less expensive models for a reason. There is a difference between the $50 Bushnell and the $200 Bushnell, or the $400 Zeiss and the $1200 Zeiss. It would be nice to have the money to spend $1200 on a Zeiss, but it won't help you anymore than the $400 Zeiss. So why spend that much.

Something like the 2x7, 3x9 (most common), 3.5x10 will do the trick for you. Pick your price range and compare the different scopes. You don't have to break the bank to buy a nice scope for deer hunting in MN.

Cheers!!

Ole, Sounds like you are a good shot. It just doesn't matter what type of gun your boss would shoot, he won't beat you! He doesn't do the gun justice, but it probably helped him a little. If you had a $4000-5000 custom trap gun, it would help you a little I'm sure. Take your camo 870 to a very competitive trap shoot league and see how you do. There must be a reason people spend all that money on a custom trap gun?

Willow,

The guy's I shot with needed them for their ego, they were pretty important, in their eyes.

Ole

• 2 weeks later...

elite 3200 on my 300 mag. 3-years and no problem with recoil. Have leupold on my 7mm which is also good. 3200 is as clear as my leupold in the early or evening hours. very good scope for the money

------------------

I go with echotrail. Leupold VXI 2x7 is the way to go.
I had a Bushnell Whitetail it was a nice scope but it fogged up all the time. Oh and the low light thing. Go to the store and compare. You'll see what we mean.
Some people say you should spend at LEAST 1/2 the cost of the rifle on a good scope!

[This message has been edited by Red_Ball (edited 09-10-2004).]