Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
esoxguy2004

Ammo

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys, last night we held our annual Employee Hunting Seminar at work (Joe's Sporting Goods in St.Paul). We talked about all the new hunting clothing and accessories. We even did something that in their 30 some years of business they've never done before. We cut open a shell from every brand of 12 Ga., 3" Steel cartridge we sell. The difference in components and bb size and quality was unreal. I've never been able to compare them side by side like that. The owner, who is an ammunition guru, takes ammunition as sort of a hobbie. He showed us so many differnces in each shell and noted every quality aspect so that we can better educate the consumers.

After comparing side by side all of the different brands of shotgun shells, I can honestly say, Federal makes the best shell. I'm sorry if I offend anyone out there, but their bb sizes and shapes were perfectly round and consistent. The powder was fine and didn't clump together, which allows a better and faster burn process. Overall, it was a better shell compared to the rest.

After seeing the differences in each shell, we are trying to figure out a way to build a display so when customers come in, they can see for themselves the differences in quality. So in a few weeks, hopefully we will have something people can take a look at.

Also, I must note Sept. 11th & 12th is our annual ammo sale. Watch the Outdoor News and local newspapers for ads. Apparently,a single box of Fedral Speed Shok in 12 Ga., 3" Steel shells will be $6.99!! At that price and quality, you just can't get any better. Hopefully you all take advantage of our product knowledge and come on in and chat with us. After last night, we are all so excited for this years hunting season!

Wow, that is really interesting. That display would be something to see but I'm willing to bet some manufacturer's might have an issue with that.

Anyway, I've shot Federal shells for a long time and just seemed to have better results with them. Every now and then we'll have some Winchester shells around and they just haven't worked as well. When I'm talking about shells working better, I'm talking about more ducks dropping out of the air.

Maybe its a superstitious thing, maybe a confidence thing, I don't know... but whatever it is, I just seam to hit more ducks when I'm shooting Federal shells. Go figure.

Did you guys cut open any Bismuth or Tungsten Iron shells??

Esoxguy,
When is Joe's going to open a second store?, they need one in the West Metro? Like Mayer, Waconia, Watertown, or Delano just to name a few places....

(LOL... Wishful Thinking on my part.)

Unfortunately, they probably won't. Joe's has been family owned since the 1930's. It started out as a small bait shop and expanded into skiing and outdoor equipment. I know it's probably a drive for ya, but it's worth it.

If there are any Filson clothing fans out there, Filson reps from all over the state are coming out to display all of their products. Joe's is the largest Filson distributors in the country. The reps are bringing atleast one of every item in their catalog and selling them at special prices. The event is Aug. 26th at 7;00 PM. Originally, people who came to the grand opening of our new store last year and registered for gifts recieved flyers for the Filson event. We are asking that people who are interested in attending call and RSVP for the event. There will be snacks and refreshments for everyone who attends. Please RSVP if you plan on attending!!

Esox,

I'd be very curious about the lead results and if the Federal shell is better in that category as well. Good to know info.

No, we did not. We did however cut open some lead. We didn't get to analyze it as much since we spent so much time on the steel. We have another seminar in about a week, so maybe we'll look at it then.

Shorelunch,

We are still waiting for the Federal Pheasants Forever load to come in. We did look at the Federal Wing Shok and the Game Shok. The copper plated pellets in the Wing Shok looked very consistent. The powder was fine and dense, and the buffer was also fine. I'll let you know how it compares to the Pheasants Forever Load.

If you are looking for any Upland Hunting Clothing, holy cow, come into Joe's. We've got a ton of quality products.