• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

3 pt rule

dwag70

The guys I hunt with (private land)are trying to deceide if we should have a rule of 3pt or 4pt on one side on all harvested bucks. I think the rule would be nice let the forks live and grow bigger. Take all the does we want. What do you guys out there think of rules like these. We hunt 90 acres and are going to try and recruit the others around us. Will it work on 90 or abondon it if it is only us.

dwag70,
Our neighbor and our hunting camp have agreed to let the smaller bucks walk and let them grow up. The problem we have is there are 2 other camps that aren't too far from us and they shoot anything that walks by their stands. Now that is their right, as long as the antler length is legal but we believe it sure limits us to having any of these little guy's grow up into big bucks!!!

The biggest problem I have is to hear them talk about how they "filled out", I love the taste of venison as much as the next guy, but I also love to watch a big buck come down the trail with his nose sniffing a doe's behind more.

Another problem we've run into, in the past, is road hunter's, we've had a couple of "conversations" with a few of them and they no longer drive up and down the road by our shack with an uncased gun and a 12 pack between them on the front seat of their truck.

Ole

jlm,

You're right, I'm sure I'll get my backside chewed out about how I'm trying to impose my thought's on someone elses rights!!!

Maybe I should have just bit my tounge.

Ole

Nothing was directed at you Ole, sorry if I gave that impression. I just know how this topic usually turns out! Lots of passion when it comes to big bucks and deer hunting! I am going to stay out of this one and watch in enjoyment!

We do 8 pts minimum on our 120 acres.

Just our own personal opinions, and our neighbors have no interest to join in.
Kinda stinks, but I have no right to tell them what I want them to do.

We started it 3 years ago, and in the last 2 seasons we have taken 3 nice bucks. Last year I got a 124 inch 8pt. Not huge, but the biggest I have ever shot by far.

90 acres may not be much, but if you choose to pass on some bucks, at least they have a chance to live. Shooting them all, gives no chance.

Also this year, we have planted 7 different food plots, in hopes to maybe hold deer close by for longer periods, versus just cruising through and getting whacked next door.

We have numerous other camps by use including on that have over 15 people in it. I realize what is going to happen over there. they will fill the freezer. (there right) I think all opinions can be expressed and no one should take offense.One exception to our rule if it goes through is that all the young hunters will be able to take any deer for the first 2 yrs they hunt. Get hooked so we can keep them coming. I am not a trophy hunter and have shot quite a few deer over the last 17 yrs but I still get shakey when the big one comes walking by. I do feel that to fill the freezer it does not have to have Horns to make it in there it looks and tastes the same when you pull it out HOPE I AM NOT RUFFLING ANYONE FEATHERS ON THIS ONE

By the way the land butts up to State Forest(some hunting pressure) and there are some aeras that tax forfieted
but there are still 8-9 camps close by and we might be able to talk the guys to west of us to join? (120 acres)...but the other two sides will not join in..

Dwag, I have a feeling if it's only 90 acres your plan may not work. I'm no expert by any means but from what I think I know about deer is they have a pretty good sized territory. If you can talk your neighbors into doing the same you have a much better chance.

For the record I really don't want to upset anyone, but myself and the guys I deer hunt with arn't out for the big bucks. The areas we hunt are our own land. We bring our kids with us. I probably get more shakey than anyone else on the planet when I see Mr. Big coming, but that isn't why I'm out there. For us it's getting meat, having fun, and teaching the kids.

The whole shoot em from the truck really bugs me. I hate it when people do that junk.

Good luck this fall to everyone.

90 acres in kinda small for your plan if it adjoins other good woods/land that is being hunted hard. About the only way it would help is if you didn't hunt it and the deer had a haven from the guys hunting around you.
QDM takes a good piece of land owned by one or several pieces owned by many in agreement which is not easy since it is completely voluntary. There are a milion different arguements from each side but as long as it's voluntary and legal every single person gets to make their own decision how they want to hunt.

Boilerguy,
I understand your point. The nice about this rule is the exception for the kids. We are not gettin' any younger and can use the new recriuts to the sport. It is alot of fun to come back to camp and see the smile of a 12 or 13 year old that just got their first deer

Dwag, I totally hear ya. My youngest boy shot his first deer last year. Sure, it was a little bigger than my dog, but it was his first deer and I don't think I've ever seen the little feller so happy. My oldest boy shot his biggest deer the same day. It was a 4x3. I don't know which kid was smiling bigger. It's these kinds of days that remind me what it's all about.

Dwag,
I hunt in a group of about 11 and we hunt private farms in southeastern MN. A lot of the people that live in the area don't shoot the smaller bucks. I have shosen not to shoot small bucks even though some of the guys in our group shoot anything they can. I just think if I let it live there is a chance. The more people do that the bigger they will get and the more there will be for the next year.
There will always be those that like to shoot anything and those that will pick what they want to shoot. With the numbers of deer we have in MN I think that is just fine. Our group talks about it and it is about half and half, we let each guy do what he wants. We are not down there to just shoot deer, we are down there to have fun with our relatives and we have a blast every year no matter what we shoot!!
Some guys just like to shoot holes in the sky!! They never get a deer. What do you guys think about those hunters?

I would like to propose we stick to the question and the reason this topic was opened, versus making this a big whining topic. I am not raining on the parade, but too often the topics are lost in follow up issues.

The original question is in regards to personal choice QDM of sorts, and what our experiences may be to help out in the area of interest.

BIG TROPHY RACKS are for the wall.

Does are for the freezer.

All others bucks just need time to become BIG TROPHY RACKS so they can assume their rightful place in infamy.

So then, if we have 90 acres of private land and numerous acres of shared land that recieves some pressure but not heavy(most camps hunt close to there camp) is it a good idea to start a QMD program on limited land. There are pockets that are inaccessilbe land that can serve as a haven to deer. If the neighbors across the road join us, the total acerage could be 210. but if not we are back to the 90 original acres we know the rule can be enforced. would it work???

As I stated earlier, 90 acres isn't much, but you gotta start somewhere.
A small dead buck can't get big.
If you guys are serious, pass the small ones, and hope they make it to see one more year.(or two)
If you want meat, take the does.

I say why not try it out for a couple years with your party. You will still be able to take does for the freezer if you wish. Maybe you'll see some results, maybe your neighbors will notice bigger racked deer. Might be enough to convince them to join in. Or it might not. Guess you won't know unless you try.

Doesn't make sense for me to shoot a forkhorn or spike for meat when the DNR is letting us buy 5 management tags for antlerless deer in my zone.

I just picked up a roll of film from a trail camera.

47b4d635b3127cceb41b8fc7dc950000001610

dwag70,
If you let em live, they can get just like him. I am pleased to say, it is very possible he is a buck we have passed for a couple years now. The photo on line is a bit fuzzy, but on my picture, I think he has 11 pts.
He's a shooter in my book. Bring it on.

Nice photo biglakebass!!! I'm starting to get the lust!!!!

I think Suzuki said it best - "as long as it's voluntary and legal every single person gets to make their own decision how they want to hunt."

I'll pass on small bucks early in the archery season but by mid-November, if I don't have a doe in the freezer already, that good tasting forkhorn will be going down.

As others have indicated above...90 acres isn't all that large when you consider the area or range that those deer may be traveling. However, once again as stated above, you have to start somewhere and if you take out that 1 1/2 year old buck it obviously won't have a chance to get larger.

I would be careful in your thinking of setting up a 3 or 4 point/side rule. You may not be accomplishing what you are setting out to do by still shooting 1 1/2 year old bucks. Chances are a good portion of those 6 pointers are 1 1/2 year olds and I have seen plenty of little "basket racked" 8's that are 1 1/2 year olds as well. These deer may have the best chance (genetics) to be trophy's in the future.

Maybe incorporate a width element into your points. Wide as ears, almost as wide as ears, etc. Basically trying to differenciate between a 1 1/2 year old and a 2 1/2+ year old.

I think the comment about size is right on. A majority of the yearling bucks I see are at least 6 pointers & several are little 8's. The wide as the ends of the ears or close guideline, seems like a decent indication along with head width of knowing if the deer's at least 2 1/2. You can't always tell that if you're shooting at a running deer or taking a longer shot picking an opening in trees or something.

I shot at a doe last year shotgun hunting, thought I had missed, & then shot at the yearling doe behind her & dropped her. They were running through trees & brush & I was shooting in 10-20 yard openings. When I got down there the yearling doe was a 6 pointer, oops. Incidentally I could then see that I'd gotten the real doe as well.

I agree 90 acres isn't much, but I'm trying to do the same thing on my own 50 acres & also the neighbors 70, which I basically am the controlling hunter on. It only amounts to 25-30 acres of woods, but if a small buck gets in there during the 1st weekend in our area, which gets probably 75% of the pressure, it's got a really good chance of making it. If just one little basket racket stays there for two days or even one of them his odds of making it go way up.

We hunt 40 private acres and probably an additional 300 state. We cover at least 300 total with our 8-9 member party. We started passing on all bucks smaller than 6 pts about 3 years ago. (no bucks taken since) We do have a clause to the rule.. Any whom have not taken a buck may shoot any buck. The rest of us have taken enough forks in our lives where we would like chances at something nice. I feel that (like some have already said) if you pass on a small buck it no doubt increases it's chances to become a large buck. You shoot it and there is no chance. I say it can't hurt. I am hoping qdm will start to pay off soon. Like BigLake.. We are starting some plotting this year as well. Cant wait!!

Nice pic biglake!! My bud from ND called last night and counted 24 bucks in the 3 areas we hunt. Had a dandy 12 laying under one of his stands. 17 days and a few hours and we'll be in our stands!!!!!! oh ya

So it it pretty much clear that every one feels it is a matter of personal choice on what to shoot but how do you feel if the state steps in and gives all hunters a rule (like penn.) 3 PT on a side. Remember that we do not have the right to hunt but it is a privledge given by the state you live in.

I will not express my opinion on all of this but I would like to say one thing. A recent poll in Penn. showed that the majority of hunters are now against the point restriction (prior to this, most favored a point restriction). Many are calling for Alt's (I think that is his name) job as a matter of fact. There is a movement out there to boycot doe tag licenses as well. Sounds like a lot of problems exist. If anyone is interested, I will try post it here if I can dig it up!

It will be interesting to see what happens in Pennsylvania!!! Its the only place with a deer hunting traditions and lots of whitletails where a whole state is REQUIRED to follow the minimun. If they continue with the rule long enough it should prove whether a 'minimum point restriction' is all peaches and cream like the QDM guys claim or whether its a bunch of malarky. Better them experimenting than us!!

Dawg, I hope it doesn't come to that, where a vocal MINORITY is able to set the hunting laws (or any laws for that matter - Thats why iniative and referendum is a bad idea, a vocal minority can have undue influence, but thats another subject for another day.) In DNR surveys, the majority of the hunters are happy with the way the deer season is now.

What will I do? Follow the law, of course. Its either that or go out of state.

I just read an article in Deer & Deer Hunting that seamed to indicate the state was pretty happy with the results of the antler restrictions in Pennsylvania. I don't know if this is the case of the biologists seeing it one way & the other hunters another?

It did talk about the fact that since so few yearling bucks were killed that most of them were displaced anywhere from I think 3-6 miles by the mature does in the area driving them off. I don't know what the significance of that is, as I would assume where some are driven out, others are likely driven in.

I definitely wouldn't be in favor of the point restriction myself.