• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

rifle and scope suggestions????

SouthernMinnyRookie

Fellas, I think I have the "better 1/2" convinced to buy me a rifle & scope for our 10 year wedding anniversary. How you might ask? Well, I told her it was the only way she was getting the anniversary band to her wedding ring! smile.gif

Anyway, I'm looking for a quality rifle ansd scope but would like to stay under $1000 - $1200 for rifle and scope combo. I'm leaning towards a 7mm or a .270. Also, after 2 years of borrowing a bolt action, I really must say I like this better than a lever or semi-auto. I've also heard a clip is the only way to go. Lastly, I don't know anything about scopes so any help would be appreciated.

Would like to hear what others have to say.

Thanks,
Jason

Good question - sorry about that.

I will primarily be hunting deer.

southernminnyrookie;
I just purchased a Tikka T-3 with a Busnell firefly scope. Excellant rifle and scope combo. Rifle will run you around 450 and the scope will be around 230.

I'd look at a browning a-bolt. stainless/synthetic stock. Or blued /w wood stock if you prefer. Clip fed, quality rifle. Any of the favorite calibers are favorites for a reason, cause they work. 270, 30-06, 7mm, 308, all good choices. Readily available ammo in plenty of different loads. Scopes, buy quality. The rifle should be aroun 600, leaves you plety for good glass. Leopold is hard to beat, vari-x 2, or vari-x 3 if you have the budget. Redfiled, Nikon, german names, all good choices. I'd avoid Bushnell, Tasco, and Simmons. You can do better in you price range. Probably a 3x9 variable is the most popular choice, again for good reason. If you expect to do a good amount of long shooting, you could bump up to a 4x12. Don't skimp on the scope.

That Browning A bolt in the short mags is an awful nice unit. The invoation of these short mags is real nice in the bolt action. I handled the 7mm-08 this fall and really liked it. The gun is very short and light to carry.
You are right, the bolt is the way to go. I am not knocking the semi but if there is real cold weather and alittle dirt it can jam. My favorite cal. of all mine (30) is the 7mm. I hand load and find it is excellent for moose and then I down load it to about a 270 for whitetail. I know alot of people use factory loads in their 7mm for deer but I have the reloader and just like to play with it. If you have a chance to look at a synthic stock it wouldn't be a bad idea.

If I had the opportunity like U have right now I would go: A bolt, synthic stock in a 7mm08 and put on a fixed 4 power Leopold. Good Luck.

Hey Cannuck,

My father-in-law has a 7mm-08 and the other guys I hunt with have a 7mm. What specifically is the difference? I know the shell on the 08 is smaller. Do some 7mm guns allow you to shoot both the 7mm and 7mm-08 shell?

Also, you mention a fixed 4 power Leopold. What does fixed 4 power mean?

Sorry, just new to this rifle thing.

But thanks for all the help!!!

I've been carrying a custom built Mauser for 30+ years in a 7x57 Mauser caliber. If I were buying one today that would be the only centerfire I own, it would be a Ruger Model 77, in the 7mm/08 caliber, with a Leopold 2-7 power scope. They will handle any game in Minn. or the Dakotas and the recoil is much less than the 7mag. The Ruger Mod.77 is a quality, solid, accurate gun. I've got one that has gone a lot of miles with me and I haven't had any reason to ever not trust it.

7mm-08 I believe is the same cartridge as a .308 (what I shoot for deer) with a 7mm bullet which is I believe a .28 caliber (as opposed to .30 caliber on the .308) you can not shoot the 7mm Remington Mag in a 7mm-08 or vice versa. The 7mm-08 is by some people considered the perfect deer round. There are a lot of perfect rounds if you ask around. .308, 30-06, .270, 7mm to name a few. The 7mm-08 will have a lot less recoil than the 7mm Rem Mag. Re scopes, two types; variable which you can increase and decrease the power or magnification. With increase mag come decrease in field of view (or area you can see) I use a 2-7 on my .308. A fixed is just that fixed, for example 2.5 or 4 power. I'd get a variable. My tip: when you check out the various bolts, check the bolt/safety combination. Some allow you to unload when the gun is in the safe position (like Remington) most make you put the gun in "fire" position to unload. I don't like that. Also, some bolts will move up and down while in safe some don't. Some rifles don't fire unless the bolt is all the way down. Nothing like catching the bolt on some brush without knowing it and going to pull the trigger and nothing.... I'd bring these questions to a good gun salesman and then decide. Good luck.

Thanks guys!
I've heard others say good things about the A-bolt as well as Leopold and Nikkon.

I think I will likely encourage this in a 7mm for her!!!

What are the different features of a scope other than 3x9 or 4x12? Is there anything else a guy should look for?

Also, does the scope come with mounting brackets?

One last thing, any good places to purchase from? I live in Owatonna and can easily get to Cabellas but I have heard they are pretty expensive.

I own a 270 short mag, Browning A bolt, Staniless/Syn stock, love it. I am not the greatest shot, but I achive great groups with this Cal. You should look at Burris for optics, the Red Dot is an awesome feature.
The short mag bolt, very quick.

I would also suggest looking into a .270 Weatherby mag, it is a beautiful gun that performes even better than it looks. You might also want to look at the 7mm mag, .300 mag, or the .257 mag. All great guns for sure. Great investment to! On the scope, I would recommend a Nikon without question. Unless you can spend big, Nikon is the best bang for you buck! Good luck and great wife!

Yes the 7mm Reg Mag is a different cal than the 7mm/08 and U can NOT switch bullets. The 7mm/08 is basically a 7mm necked down to a 308. Leechlake brought out a very good point on the safety and the bolt. I believe the Browning A bolt has solved this with a half setting allowing you to open the bolt without an accidental firing. That 270WSM is a very nice unit too.

I mentioned I would go with a fixed power just because I would rather put my money into a better quality of glass. I presently have a 3 X 9 and very rarely crank it up and the most I have ever cranked it up is to 6 power, I carry it on 4 right now.

I have a Ruger Model 77M in a 22-250 and it is a great gun but it does not have a clip, just a drop plate, not a big problem but I prefer a clip. (Dropped too many bullets in the snow.)

A hint, you will get so many different sugguestions and they will all be good but go pick up several different rifles and get a 'feel' for one that 'fits' YOU.

Thanks to all who responded.

I will be heading to Cabellas this weekend just to do some window shopping!

My wife and I went down to Grand Forks for a couple of days and spent alot of time in Cabelas and Scheeles in Grand Forks. I am sick. A Browning A bolt, stainless with a synthic stock for $600 US at Scheeles. They had a7mm, 300, 25-06 and a few others. They would have been short one of the 7mms if there was ANY way I could have purchased one. They can not sell them to Canadians not even through a broker. That gun in Canada is 12to 1400 and would be the ideal moose gun for me as we hunt alot out of the boat for moose. Cabelas had some A bolts for sale but they were not synthic stock. Sugguest U check both locations out.

I live in Owatonna and used to work at the Cabela's rifle dept. I would say the most popular gun would be the A-bolt. it is a very nice gun.

Personally, I have shot a Ruger .280 since I was a little tike and have excellent luck. Some things to consider also is what type of land you will be mostly hunting if it is thick heavy woods vs long open shots. Most of the guys at Cabela's are pretty knowledgeable and just give them your thoughts and see what they think!!!

I shoot a .280 also (Winchester Featherweight) with a Simmons 2.5x8 Whitetail Classic scope. Very light, very easy to shoot. Handloading is very easy with a long neck and 7mm bullets as well.

I too am a proud owner of a Browning A-bolt synthetic / stainless in a .270. Great gun. I do own one gun that I like better than my .270 A-Bolt, and that is my Ruger .25-06 Heavy Barrel. If you don't mind carrying a heavier gun around, give it a try. Like most people have said, get good optics. It doesn't matter how good a gun you buy, if you don't have any faith in your scope.

My opinion is a Browning A-bolt with either a Leupold VX II or a Nikon buckmaster scope. Both scopes are very affordable and reliable. I myself have use a Browning A-bolt White Gold Medallion .270 with a Leo VXII 3-9. I use in both the woods of Minnesota and then the open area out in ND. It has proven to be very versatile for me in where I hunt and it also have been very successful I have shot 4 deer in the last 2 years with it include my biggest buck to date so I am very happy with it. There are several other cheaper options out there that will work I know that. But I like the action of the a bolt it is nice and tight and not sloppy like many other brands it has a shorter throw so that it is quicker to operate these were deciding factors for me. Just a couple some things to consider in your shopping.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

• 4 weeks later...

The hunt is over...I've made up my mind on what I'm going to get.

Browning A-bolt Stalker - 7mm (black stock w/stainless barrell). I've been quoted a price of $719. Is this a good deal or should I continue to shop around????

Also, sounds like Leupold is coming out with a new model of glass soon. I've seen the Vari-X III on sale. I was looking at the 3.5x10 - regularyly $459 on sale for $379.

Thanks again for all the help!

Before you put money on a 3 - 10 scope, I must inject 2 cents worth. I have a nice leupold 3 - 9 and it is set on the lowest power and rarely moves up to 9 except when I'm sighting in. If I had it to do over, I would get a Burris 1 - 5 with the red dot illuminated. All the hunting I've done since I went Leupold has been shots under 200 yds. and while still hunting(stalking) I wish I had the option of an illuminated red dot for those quick shots you get when jumping bucks from their beds. TALKOOOOOOOO!

We all have our own opinion on guns and scopes and that comes from what we use and what our hunting buddies use. So here is my opinion. If I had to choose a gun that could do just about anything I would want I would choose it in the 30.06.You can buy rounds for this gun anywhere from 40 grains to more than 200 grains. As far as what make. I would look at a Winchester Model 70 featherweight, or a Ruger model M77. As far as a scope goes I really think Leapold makes one of the best. Look at the 3 to 9 VariXII. Under 300.00 and a scope that is great under lowlight conditions. This is just my opinion.