Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Mayfly

Any Gun Experts??

Mayfly

I went to sight my 30-30 today. I took a few shots at 100yds and was tight low and right. I moved to 25 yds and shot two. the same thing, low and right. I fixed it at 25 yds and hit the dead center. I then went to 50 and my pattern broke a bit. I was shooting a little high. I was out of shells so I left. Will go again tomorrow hopefully. My question is I guess, If i'm hitting bullseyes at 25 yds should I be hitting them up to 100 yards?? Hope I can get some help here....Thanks!

Crappie Killer

I'm a little high at 100 yards also. The way the bullet drops after 100, it's not bad to be high at that distance.

huskminn

I am by no means a gun expert, but you need to know the ballistics of the round you are shooting. Perhaps being dead on at 25 yards means that you will be high at 100 yards, but right on at 150.

The suggestions from the others here are good ones, although the trajectory of a 30-30 is not that similar to a 30-06.

I would sight in for 100 yards if you won't see any shots over 150. Take breaks to allow your barrel to cool while sighting in and, by all means, use the same shells to sight in as you are going to use while hunting.

Good luck!

Benny

Well I help out at Beaverbrook rifle range each year for the annual sight in.I can tell you this, a 30-30 is not nearly as powerfull as a 30-06.If your dead on at 25 you will be just a 1/4 low at 100 yards.A 30-06 dead on at 25 is 1inch high at 100 yards.

Now given that info you must also stay with the same brand and weight bullet.DO NOT switch weights now after shooting up that last box,a lighter bullet will not give you the same results.
As for brand do try to stay with the one you just had, as each manufacture uses differant propellants and they may not be the same as the one you used first.

I doubt you will find a range open this late so you may have to stay where your at for now.But if you do get a chance to shoot again remember to keep the same sight picture and fire three consecutive rounds at 100 yards.See if all are grouped close then adjust from there if needed.
Remember to lightly tap the scope after each adjustment to settle the gears in to each other so the next adjustment will not have any slack to take up as you move the windage dials.
If you have a side mount scope then you may have to settle for close enough as they are more tricky to get zeroed.
A 30-30 cal. is a fine close range weapon for whitetail, but don't expect perfect bullseyes at 100 yards unless you spend a LOT of time shooting that weapon at that distance.

Good luck, Benny

Mayfly

Thanks for all the info guys! My problems are solved, my questions are answered, and I should be golden. See you at the municipal in Nevis, MN. I'll buy you all a beer!

'EyesonU

I think given the trajectory of the 30-30, which is similar to a .30-06, what your seeing is accurate. If dead on at 25 yds, the bullet is still rising, so by the time you move out to 100yds your going to be high.

I tend to site in at 100yds and then move out from there.

Scott Steil

If you were on at 25 and high at 50, I would think you should be where you want to be at 100 with a 30-30. If you are still a little high at 100, I would shoot 150 before you adjust anything. You may be right where you want to be already.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com