• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rifle Scope Suggestions

marine_man

I recently ordered a .270 WSM rifle and am starting to look for a scope for it in the 200 - 275 dollar range

The two that I am considering are a Nikon Buckmaster (3-9 x 40) and a Leupold VX-II (3-9 x 40), but I am open for suggestions... Anyone have any experience with either of these two or another brand?

Thanks!

marine_man

[This message has been edited by marine_man (edited 10-14-2003).]

marine_man,

I decided to replace the straight 4X scope on my 30-06 two years ago. I was looking in the same price range that you are and I came down to the exact two scopes that you are looking at.

I opted for the Leopold for a couple of reasons. First, the name and associated qualtiy. Second, in side by side comparisons, I just thought the Leopold seemed a little brighter. That could have been just biased, wishful thinking on my part, but I felt confident in my purchase.

I have been extremely happy with the Leopold both on the range and in the field.

All that having been said, I have thousands of dollars worth of Nikon camera lenses for an old Nikon camera.....Nikon historically has been near the top in glass quality and I swear by that brand of camera lense (notwithstanding the Leicas and Zeiss' of the world). However, they don't make their scope glass the same place they make their camera glass. Because of that, I couldn't personally vouch for the quality of the Buckmaster.

One thing that I know about Leopold scopes is that there are four coatings on their lenses, which help reduce light lost through refraction. I know Buckmaster scopes have coated lenses, but I don't know how many times or to what standard.

Don't know if I helped much...perhaps someone out there has some field experience with the Buckmaster and will comment.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by huskminn (edited 10-14-2003).]

A few questions for you;

• Where do you hunt?
  • Heavy brush or wide open shooting?
  • How far could your longest shots be?
  • How long are the majority of your shots going to be?
  • Do you do drives for deer?
  • Do you want or plan to mount over-under scope rings?

The reason I ask these questions is because so many people just go out and buy a 3-9x when it more often then not is not the right scope for the conditions they hunt in.

I hunt in semi-heavy cover and we do drives quite often. I bought a Bushnell Elite 4200 1.5-6x36 for under $300. At the lowest settings I can pull a deer into the scope during a drive quick and easily. And even on 6 power I am very comfortable shooting up to and beyond 200yds.

Another thing many expert shooters have told me, is that you should make the choice between shooting a scope or shooting iron sights. If you feel the need for over-unders your scope is not the right scope for the type of land you hunt.

Good luck, if you want more details on some of the places I looked to purchase my scope let me know.

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 10-14-2003).]

I like the Loepold. It's been on my 7mm for about 5 years and it does the job well. Possibly the most popular quality scope out there. The comment about making sure you need a 3x9 is a good one. I like the magnifacation on my 7mm, and use it on stand or anytime I expect long shots. But I have a second, and third, gun for drives or bushwacking. A lower power scope makes good sense in a lot of situations.

I wouldn't be affraid to go with the Nikon. In fact you'll find the the Nikon is more fogiving in the eye relief and if I'm remembering correctly Nikon's warranty is a dealer replacement not a mail in if you ever have a problem with the scope. I have the 3x9 buckmaster on one of my hunting rifles and the eye relief of the Leupold is why I opted against it on my varmint gun. To me it just seemed like you had to be in exactly the right spot to see the full view of the Leupold. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Happy Hunting!!!

[This message has been edited by Flashman (edited 10-14-2003).]

Grabs,

Thanks for the questions.. here are some responses:

Where do you hunt? - I will be hunting in ND for the first time this year, but have hunted in MN for the last 10 years and hope to return to MN sometime soon...

Heavy brush or wide open shooting? A little bit of both

How far could your longest shots be? 250 yds would be the longest I would feel comfortable making a accurate shot

How long are the majority of your shots going to be? 125 - 200 yds

Do you do drives for deer? Yes

Do you want or plan to mount over-under scope rings? No - In fact the gun I ordered doesn't come with iron sights.

Now what would you suggest?

Thanks everyone else for the opinions.. keep them coming!

marine_man

Well if your shortest shot is going to be 125 yds, I would go with a high end 3-9x. 3-9x are a bit more affordable because it is the most highly purchased scope power offered. Look for one with the largest amount of eye relief because at 3x on a drive your going to have a hard time putting that deer in the cross hairs. Or have along a second gun for drives, one with just iron sights.

More often then not my quality shots are all going to be inside of 75yds, with a few long range shots well out there, but at 6x I feel comfortable with those shots. But for you a 3-9x is probably going to work out just fine.

Just to give everyone an update...

I purchased a Leupold VX-II on Friday and did some sighting in on Saturday with some respectable results. Thank you for all your input and help in choosing a good scope.

Thanks again!

marine_man