• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Potlatch land leases

Crappie Kid

The public land is going to be even more crowded this year. Potlatch has leased out massive amounts of land in central and northern Minnesota this year. If you normally hunt some of this land I would go check it out to see if it has been posted. It is too bad that "free trade" hurt Potlatch so much that they had to resort to this to pay the bills.

I talked to potlatch about leasing some land.They have some reasonably priced stuff out there. He said one major reason thier leasing is to stop the destruction of thier trees by hunters cutting shooting lanes and leaving garbage around. This will inconvienience many but there is still a ton of public land in the areas that they are leasing in. I bet many who have huntted thier land can't honestly say they havent ever cut a potlatch tree and this really is the same as shoplifting.

Well, I'm proud to say that I have an 80 acre lease of potlatch in Northern Minnesota near Park Rapids. I share the lease with my Aunt and Uncle. It is in a very good area with lots of Deer. My Aunt and Uncle looked at a lot of Potlatch that was availible to lease. After looking through a lot of it they found a couple that looked nice and put in and we got it. I think this is a great oppurtunity. I am not in any shape to buy land at this point in my life and this gives me an oppurtunity to have my own place. I have hunted Potlatch before I had the lease and have always respected the land. I think its a great idea. I'm just curious why "Crappie Kid" is against this...So CK if your out there speak up.

I am in agreement with Mayfly on this. I also am leasing from Potlatch in St. Louis County. We've hunted "public" (actually non-posted private land) for many years, but have always been interested in getting a parcel of land that we could call our own. The cost of doing this was fairly unreasonable for land that would only be utilized for a couple months of the year. I think the Potlatch lease program is an excellent way for hunters to obtain their own piece of property, to manage for wildlife and to hunt, and to work cooperatively with their neighbors! I know for sure, that I've already made good friends with surrounding landowners, and I'm looking forward to meeting others that hunt on nearby public lands.

Cashcrews

I dont see a problem with people leasing land and *posting* it for their own, or family and friends use. If I was comfortabe enough financially, I would lease some myself. Most the time the land is posted *no hunting without permission*.. In the northern part of the state people are still very good about giving permission to hunters, unlike anywhere near the metro.

There is tons of public land in the northern part of the state... state land, county land, etc. Do some research, ask locals from certain areas, land will pop up you never knew about.

Cash,
Not trying to start a war here, but isn't Non posted private land in my county is still private land?
I Hope you were getting permission all those years, cause if not, you were trespassing, and are one of the hunters many have grown to hate.

------------------
Takin it easy! & if it’s easy, I’ll take it twice!

sandman,

You are correct that non-posted land is private land and still requires permission. We had hunted it for many years (since the 1930's)and not realized it was private. In the late 1980's we got a plat book, made the realization, and got permission from the folks that owned it. These were people that lived elsewhere and had inherited the land.

The best bet is to ask for permission in any case. I think people reading this forum might like to know that you can oftentimes ask a private landowner, and get access to great land without having to put much monetary investment into it.

Cashcrews

Plat books are not available in Lake County, and figuring out who owns what can be nearly impossible. In addition, try and find section corners in some of that country! That's why the trespass laws discriminate between agricultural and non-agricultural land.
"Up north" land has historically been considered to be open unless posted otherwise - due to the large amount of State, County and Federal lands, as well as the vast landholdings of mining and timber companies. Its only in recent years since folks have started buying up land that was basically worthless (no real market interest) that we have begun to see "No Trespassing" signs popping up. Guess its just the changing times.
I remember when we were just kids, tromping around after partridge on a series of logging roads. Being young and foolish, we had brought no water with us, and the afternoon heat had the predictable effect. Eventually we came out on a cabin road leading to a small lake, so we followed it down to the first cabin, which happened to be occupied.
The owner was a little peeved, asking if we had seen his sign back by the blacktop. When we explained how we got there via the logging clearings, he invited us in, gave us all the water we could gulp, and told us we were free to use "his" road on the way out, and could shoot any birds we saw. For several years after, we made it a point to pop down there and say hi when we were in the neighborhood. He eventually took his sign down - explaining to us that at first he was worried about the "local rednecks" shooting up his place, but after having met a number of folks he decided that he had nothing to worry about from the hunters.

Mayfly I am not against this practice but it is just sad that there is less land to hunt and see now. And those who can't afford to buy or lease their own land (and don't know anyone that has land they can hunt on)will be more crowded on state property. Just less land to freely roam around on.

Crappie Kid - Potlatch only leased out a small portion of what they have. I mean a very small portion! There is still tons of it around, more that enough. I wouldn't be discouraged. What area of the state do you hunt?? I could point you in the direction of some very nice stuff!!

Plat books are the way to go. Glad to see that most FMers are ethical.

Crappie, if you're not willing to put forth the effort to get permission to hunt, then that leaves us that are, more land to hunt peacefully and you get stuck with the public stuff. I ask permission all year long for the following season. Next time you go fishing or on a trip or whatever, just casually ask people (gas station attendant, bait shop owner, campground owner, etc.). You will actually be surprised at how many people have land, and if not, know someone you could call.
There are very few people that will deny permission when you ask politely.
A plat book is the easiest way to go about it, but it's all public record, so take a couple hours or a day and spend it at the courthouse, land office, or wherever for the county you hunt, it's pretty **** easy. & some even have the info on the web.

------------------

[This message has been edited by sandman469ss (edited 09-16-2003).]

I am not sure if I am confused or what but I always thought that you could legally hunt wooded properties that are not posted. Ag land is considered "always" posted and so is CRP. However, wooded land is open to anyone as long as it is not posted. I would agree however, asking permission first is the best thing to do!

jlm,
This issue has always had too much grey area.
You are wrong. Private land is private land, and without permission, it's trespassing. Whether they can pursue any legal action because it's not posted is the question. Notice how the regs say "verbal notice given to TRESPASSERS", not verbal notice given to hunters.

Regs:
--However, land that is brush
or trees, including CRP, CREP, and RIM Reserve that is brush or trees,
(except short-rotation woody crops as defined above) does not meet this
definition and must be posted or verbal notice given to trespassers for
criminal enforcement to occur.--

I think they need normal people to write these things, so normal people can read and understand them without question. If you do have questions, just email the DNR. Maybe if enough people do, they'll start making stuff easier to understand.
Have you read the deer regs?? Guess I can't complain after reading through Alaska's regs. Glad my brother can understand them.
------------------

[This message has been edited by sandman469ss (edited 09-18-2003).]

I agree, the rules and regs are sometimes very confusing and very gray at times. I wonder then, why do we need to post our wooded land at all? If it is considered private and already posted, why do we have to put the signs up? I would dispute what you say. I believe you can legally hunt on wooded land that is not posted. Correct me if I am wrong, but, what I think you are saying is that it is private so it should be considered posted. However, if the land owner has not posted it there is not much legally that can be done. IS that what you mean?

Yep. As far as I know, if they don't have it posted, all they can do is kick you out, but it is private land. Think of it this way. If you had a cabin in the woods, and didn't post the land, would you still consider it public, not in a million years. If I had a wife, would I have to post that too, so it's not public? grin.gif
I guess I never hunt anything I haven't asked permission for, so I don't worry about it.

------------------

Sandman,
Yes you do.....called an engagement ring!!! I know, I'm being a smart butt.

Good point. I've gotten permission more times than not, and every time they say no, they are very kind and thankful for you asking. This will go along ways, because maybe, just maybe you will come along behind me someday and he will say yes!!

Ok, I understand what you are saying. I agree completely. I should note that any standing structures such as houses, barns, etc. are considered posted as well by law. The land around them as well up to a certain distance...500 feet I think? IN my opinion, everything should be considered posted unless otherwise specified. Written permission should also be required as some states currently require.