Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Lunker

Squirrel Hunting

Lunker

Okay, I hunt just about everything. But I have never hunted squirrel . I would like to give it try this fall, for not only myself, but to maybe introduce a couple of people to the great sport of hunting. I was wondering where with about an hour of the cities would be a good place to hunt squirrels, or if a landowner is reading this, maybe let me hunt the little chatter boxes at your land? Just thought I'd throw it out there. Also, how far out of city limits do u have to be to hunt? I thought of maybe going out somewhere near elko(where my gun range is) and chat up some land owners to see if I could, but dont know where it is legal since there are farms all over. Thanks

knoppers

sherburne county has lots of state and federal lands, and with all the oaks here, I would think it is a good place to start, I would let you hunt my property, but since I am in the city limits, I think its not a good idea. way to many tree rats and rabbits.
I have had two squirrels come down my furnace exhaust, what a friggin' experience.

Gissert

See if you can get permission from a farmer. Look for corn fields that have a woodlot along the field edge.

set up a few yards inside the woods, and sit quietly. Sooner or later the squirrels will become active, working back and forth from the woods to the corn.

My dad and I used to hunt squirrels a lot this way when I was a kid. Great memories, and great eating too.

CornPirateKiller

Glad to see there are others that still go for tree rats out there. I don't get to hunt them much any more because my wife and kids won't eat them and I can't eat all that I could shoot. I still take a few a year for fun and memories and then have a private feast when the family is out.

Check out the woodlots and hillsides beside fields. Most farmers don't mind rat hunters. Sitting works best for me. Find a comfy spot and sit still near the edge of te trees. After about 15 minutes or so, they'll get curious and start rooting around looking for food. Sometimes a good spot will yield three or four without having to move.

Good Luck!!

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Lunker

Thanks all. The DNR and maps of ranges says that there are fox squirrels in the state as well. Living in the cities and hunting up north I have never seen one. Where are these usually located?

Rick

A fox squirrel likes edges a bit more than the gray squirrel. Grays will normally be deeper in a wooded area while fox squirrels will tend to be on the cornfield edge of a wooded area. Southern Minnesota woodlots, especially oak, near cornfields are usually decent spots. Hilly hardwood areas adjacent to cornfields are also good. Especially in SE MN

Lunker

Thanks Rick, do u think the elko area would be too far north for there to be any fox squirrleys?

Rick

Around Elko shoud be great.

Remember, farmers woodlots around corn usually work out the best for those chunky foxy's.