• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grouse, Phesant, Deer----will they survive?

Swill

It anyone else getting worried about the lack of snow and very cold temps hurting our game? I know soft deep snow is important for grouse survival in the winter and maybe phesants too...

Just wondering if grouse hunting will get any worse next year and if the deer will still have good numbers...Swill

Oh yeah they will be fine. They all are loving life right now. They dont have to dig through snow to find food. Cold weather doesnt bother them, deep snow cover is what kills them, they starve and run out of bedding ground when it all turns white.

morriscode

Yeah but can't snow cover provide like a 20 degree difference in temp? I know 2 feet of snow makes it hard to find food but man they must be freezing their tails and feathers off!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The grouse need snow to roost in at night. These cold nights will really hurt them.

The deer and pheasants are doing just fine with lackof snow.

Most definitely Grouse needs snow. If the temps stay extremely cold and we do not get enough snow for them to roost it's going to be tough on the already low grouse population.

Ruffed and spruce grouse: deep snow for roosting (not so for sharptails).

Deer: less snow the easier it is for them to get around and reach browse.

Pheasant: usually use heavy grass/brush/cattails for cover, not snow.

Too much snow as I understand is a big killer of pheasants. When the wind starts blowing the pheasants suffocate in the snow.

u guys hit it on the head the deer and pheasents are doing great but the grouse will suffer big time. There is some snow in the backcountry of grand marais but it is no good for grouse plus we have lots of hawks and owls around because of high snowshoe rabbit population.And they kill grouse while they roost and bud. And most grouse that make it this far through everything are usally a good breeding stock so if the preadators get to them it could mean bad news. but u never know when i was out trapping marten fisher and bobcats i flushed lots of grouse in thick spruce swamps. but also thats where the 4 legged predators are so hope for the best.