• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dog Food

bigdog

I also go with Nutrisource. That's what my trainer uses and recommends so that works for me. I am not a fan of Iams since their humane society deal a year or so ago.

Diamond premium 9 months a year, still comes in a #50 bag and is less than the #40 bag of Iams, Diamond professional during the hunting season. Switched from Iams almost 10 years ago and I have had great results.

Good Luck!

Ken

Started with Eukanuba, switched to Diamond from a few recommendations but my dogs stools were not good with it. Don't know if I got the wrong type or what. Anyway, then went to Iams which is a little cheaper than the Eukanuba.

My breader said to use Eukanuba as well, but Mandy went through it so fast I was buying 20LBS bags every other week.
I did some searching and found a web site forum called Labrador Retreiver, on that forum there was a lot of info about the differant foods out there.
Some are mentioned here as well, but I chose Nutisource as it is made here in Minnesota.It also had all the same good ingrediants that the rest of the top mentioned brands did.
Mandy distributes good stools, and doesn't have to go every two hours either.She seems to have pleanty of nutrition as her vet said she is at an ideal weight for her size and bone structure.

I asked him about using the high protein premium Nutrisource but he said unless I hunt her every single week she would gain to much weight from it.

I too would say to stay away from Iams, not only because of their ties with the HS as they claim to no longer suport them but their food has a ton of fillers and chicken by products.

Those by products are all the intrails,beaks, bones, feet and what ever else falls into the mixer so I wouldn't feed that stuff to any animal.

Benny

I feed my dogs Nutrisource, Gander Mtn actually has the cheapest price on it that I've found. 35# for 24.99, dogs love it and their coats look great.

Nutrisource is what my dog gets, my trainer uses it and I like the way my dog looks on it. He is a gsp just in case you wanted to know.

Nutrisource all the way. In a previous career, I was very involved in pets and pet food. I've done the math a million times. Nutrisource is amazing.

Nutro Max here for all my springers. Pretty much the same as the above mentioned.

What does everyone feed there hunting buddies... I am feeding my 2 yr old lab Jack Iams. I now have a new lab in the fold so I was looking to see if there was a less expensive alternative but is just as healthy. I will not change just to save myself a couple bucks, I'm just looking around to see what's out there. I have used Iams since he was a pup....

JegerJack

------------------
"What the old man trade for these guys... A used puck bag..."

It's called precise I get it at chuck and don's pet food outlet.
$42 for a 40# bag

I haven't had any issues. parents feed it to thier golden retriever for 15 yrs

Start with puppy then growth then adult then senior

I feed my 6 yr old English Setter Diamond Premium. Pretty much always have and I've been satisfied with it. I've never had a reason to change. I did feed her Pro-plan when she was a pup, basically that was what the breeder was feeding.

I can't remember what the specifics were, but I thought there were some real negatives about Iams. I could be way off base on that one though. If so, my apologies.

HB

I just started my dogs on Nutri source too.
very high quality food, without the HUGE price.
$26.00 for 40# Super Performance.

Our chocolate lab pup also gets Nutrisource. She started on Large Breed Puppy and we changed over to Adult at six months, at the recommendation of the breeder and our vet. She is doing very well on this food which is made in Perham, MN.

Nutri source Adult, I was feeding Iams and find Nutri source as good or better at 24.95 for a 35lb bag, anybody out west you can buy it at Waconia Farm supply buy 12 bags and get the next bag free.

Science Diet, I like the fact that they have the different levels, Senior in the summer to help keep the weight off, premium during the hunting season.

Ok, I think I will go with Nutrisource I see gander has it where else can I find it?

Thanks, JegerJack

------------------
"What the old man trade for these guys... A used puck bag..."

My vet (Blaine Area Pet Hospital) recommended Eukanuba #1 and Science Diet #2. I'm using Eukanuba and have never had any problems - dog loves the food and her stool is always nice and hard.

I live in Grand Rapids and have recently aquired a new puppy and the breeder recommended either "Nutro" or "Canidae"
I chose Canidae and have been very pleased with it. Both foods are carried by the pet store here in town. Canidae is nice because you only have to use one food year round, just adjust the portion as the dog grow.

I feed four adult dogs and I have found that Exceed ...a brand that can be found in Sam's club is a quality dog food.

We like the Chicken formula best: 30% protein and 26% fat. They don't produce a lot of stools and the ones they do are of the "Tootsie Roll" quality.

Our dogs have lots of energy, nice coats and seem very healthy.

French Spaniel

Does anyone know where I can get Nutrisource around Grand Rapids. I looked at the website but the nearest dealer was in Bemidji.

bigwegs

WOW, this Nurtisource must be some good stuff! I've been feeding my lab Purina Pro Plan, large breed formula and he does just fine on it. It's about $32 for 37.5 lbs so not too bad. It does have chicken by-product I'm aware, but also lots of chicken meat. I may have to switch....he's a lab so he'll eat anything!

I was feeding my dogs Purina One, but my dogs were shedding a lot and I brushed them frequently. I just switched to Iams, so we'll see how tha goes.

Ole

I started my lab on Purina Pro Plan. After a couple of bags of puppy food, the supplier referred to Purina Pro Plan as "grocery store" food. She said there are better choices than Purina Plan Pro for the money.

YMMV. If your dog is doing fine on Purina Pro Plan, I say stick with it.

Marmot

[This message has been edited by Marmot (edited 10-14-2004).]

Hey Dano 2,

Do you think I should call the Exceed dog food company and shoot this commercial at them.

"Want your dog to have rock, hard, Tootsie Roll poop... Just feed Exceed." Maybe I have a future in advertising.

French Spaniel

Feed my 16 month old Britt Purina One. Started with large breed puppy formula when I got him at five months old - partially as insurance against accelerated growth problems occassionally seen when using puppy formulas. Just recently down graded to regular puppy formula since I believe he is fully developed. I will probably switch to regular Purina One dog food next spring and summer when he is less active, then back to puppy formula for the fall hunting season. Not sure if all this makes sense...but so far he is energetic, alert, coat looks great, stools are few & hard and he doesn't seem to get tired in the field...the few times I've been able to get him out. That's my two cents worth!