Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Jill

Lab's nose is turning pink?!?

Jill

I have a 2 year old yellow lab who normally has a dark black nose, but when it gets colder out it starts to turn pink. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this with their dog?

LABS4ME

This occurance is somewhat normal. It is usually caused be a Vitamin D (I think it's D) deficiency. They get this from the sun and with the reduced amount of sun in the winter they will develop a lighter nose. My female's nose goes from jet black to a grayish color, but I've seen them turn pink and/or a tannish color. Nothing to worry about, it will darken again next spring/summer...

Good Luck!

Ken

duckbuster

LABS: Once the nose has gone completely pink can you bring it back to black? I keep giving my daughter a hard time about painting her dogs nose black with a sharpie marker.

What do I need to do to reverse this ugly nose back to it's original color?

Thanks!!!

LABS4ME

They'll usually begin to darken up with the increased sun light amounts. By May my female's nose is black as coal, where right now it is a dead minnow gray grin.gif. i don't know if a D supplement will help retain the color or not.

A little more research and the tan noses will always remain tan as this is a chocolate factor breaking through in the yellow gene. These are the true "duddley" noses. Typically yellows that are bred with a black factor will recieve a dose of the dominant (=preferred) black gene and get their black noses, pads, lips, eye rims etc. Yellows bred to chocolate or blacks possessing chocolate or yellows possessing chocolate, can recieve the chocolate factor thus the brown (tan) shading.

It is real common for even the black noses to lose color through the winter though... maybe a gift of a 10 pack to the local tanning salon? grin.gif

Good Luck!

Ken

freighttrain50

just shine her nose with a flashlight for a while

lawdog

This is an interesting thread, must have missed it the first time around. My yellow pup has experienced the same phenomenon this winter and I didn't know what it was. Thought maybe he was growing out of a black nose??? This is good to know. I will watch him to see when/if it darkens back up. He's up to about 9 mo's old now.

O2BFSHN

Result from labs being too overbread.

You never know what you're going to get now-a-days with a lab.

Just my opinion?

lawdog

Quote:

Just my opinion?

I think that's a bunch of bunk. Do you have ANY evidence to support this claim??? My dog comes from real good quality animals and not any sort of diluted line.

duckbuster

Was your dogs nose blk and now it's pink? If so what have you done to change it back?

Thanks

LABS4ME

o2bfishn... not over bred, it has nothing to do with that... inside dogs especially will lose pigment due to lack of sun, outside dogs less. No different than you or I being lighter in the winter than the summer. The true "duddley" noses (tan) and lack of black pigment on the dog may not be desirable for most (usually not an accepted breed std), but is still not caused from "over breeding". Just not bred back to enough "black dominant" genes. Yellow either carries the blk dominant or chocolate mutated gene. Thus the deterimination in the pigment factor.

Good Luck!

Ken

duckbuster

LABS: Do you think because our yellow is in the house she will have the pink nose for the rest of her life? Do you think I should start working on my daughter about painting the nose blk?

Thanks!!

fishnhooks

My dogs nose gets pink in the winter and it goes back to black by summer. Nothing to worry about.

Just tell people that the black wore off from the aggressive hunting it did through hunting season grin.gif

"hooks"

Bushwacker

Quote:

Just my opinion?

I think this is very weak attempt at trolling confused.gif Labs are so plentiful for a reason!!!

lawdog

Quote:

Was your dogs nose blk and now it's pink? If so what have you done to change it back?

Thanks

249510.jpg

There he is the first day I got him, note the nose...

Now its pretty much pink, but the hair around it is still dark. I haven't done anything to change it, nor would I. It is what it is...

duckbuster

I just think that the black nose on a yellow looks a lot better than the pink one she has now. I am pretty confident that it will never go back to black. So I will just continue to give my daughter a hard time about taking out the sharpie. It is what it is.

duckbuster

Lawdog I didn't mean to use your catch phrase at the end there. Please don't take offense.

I think once they turn pink at 1 1/2 or so they will not change back. Where did you get your little guy or not so little guy any more?

lawdog

Quote:

Where did you get your little guy or not so little guy any more?

He's from AB Kennel in St. Peter. Pretty good dog so far, lots of drive and a good nose. If I get back to work on the training he'll be real good. And you are right he's not nearly as little as he was that day I brought him home. He's about 60-65 lbs now...