• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Picking your pup. Did you, or the breeder pick out your pup from the litter?

The Yeti

I know theres all kinds of "puppy tests" you can do, but if it's a reputable breeder, did you let them pick the pup for you?

I let the person select the puppy. I give my input based on what they are looking for in a puppy and then try to steer people to a perticular puppy that I feel would be a good fit for them.

I am not real big on the puppy testing. You can figure out the temprament and things of this nature just by watching the puppies around people and around their littermates.

Brian

I picked my pups. Half the fun is picking them. Although there is some merit to your point if the breeder pays alot of close attention to the pups.

The breeder I went through lets the first male and female depositor have their pick pup, and after that, he picks the pups based on a list of traits you want your pup to have. I am absolutely thrilled with the one picked for me.

-Hossienda

When I place puppies with people it is just that. More of an interview process for their benefit and the dogs too. They eventually pick the pup they want but I do tempermat test and tell them the results and what I see each pup being. It is better to fit a pup with a person/family that is prepared for it than have to fugure out they have WAY too much dog and their needs were not met.

Now I am talking hunting breeds. If you want a pet puppy it is different than a possible top knotch hunting or trial prospect.

The people that seem put off by all the fuss usually do not know what they want or are just sooo sure they know more about your dogs than you do.

Let them pick but give them the information to make the best choice for them. There is also the case when a dog might be a breeding potential so conditions might be attached to the buyer to not spay or neuter until after 2yrs of age.

This time around, I had no choice. Since I was out of town the day of the pick, I had to send the wife. She picked and named our pup....and she did great! My advice would be to pay more attention to the litter you're picking from (the pup's parents, etc) and do your best from there...it'll all work out.

When my wife and I picked out our pup we happened to have the pick of two litters. The kennel had two litters within a week of each other, with the same sire. We took about an hour and a half and took all the females out. Then put some back and in and out. Finally we got it narrowed down and made the pick. We picked one of the younger ones out of the 6 week litter, so the breeder put red fingernail polish on her ear and painted it every couple of days to make sure we got the right one. He helped us along with our choice, but really it came down to the one my wife and I like the best. Good luck and have fun. If you have the right dam and sire, you really can't go wrong.

Breeder helped but it was from a small litter so I basically only had a choice between 2 females. It's a **** shoot at best sometimes. Especially if you have to pick them at 7 weeks. My breeder kept the one she thought was best. I hope mine is better!!

Suzuki - you hit the nail on the head. It is a ****shoot if you do your research on the breeding to make sure of no health problems in the past.

Someone asked Talbot Radcliffe(arguably one of the greatest springer breeders)on one of his litters which one was the best. His answer was they are all the best.

Brian

When I picked our dog I knew that I wamted a male. I took all the males out and put them in the middle of the barn and watched them for a few minutes. Eventually one came over to me and that was the one that I eventually brought home. I also agree that they are all great.

Having had several litters of pups over the years, I've learned that you eventually get to know their personalities, especially if its a smaller litter. You can tell the bully of the litter, the wimp, the inquisitive one, etc. so don't hesitate to ask the breeder. If its your first pup and its going to be in the house and you're not sure about training, ask him which ones are mellower. If you're a young stud and plan on busting lots of cattails with your dog, get the aggresive one.

Go ahead and pick the pup you want but ask your breeder for advice, it may help you in the long run.

I own a kennel that sells French Spaniels. If my customers know what they are looking for in a pup more power to them. I just observe and let them pick.

However, I see the pups and play with them all the time. I think it is good to tell the breeder ahead of time what you are looking for. Then they can watch for what they think is the best pup for your situation.

Also, don't pick your pup too early. Especially if you are interested in personality more than looks. It is amazing how much a pup can change in personality in a couple of weeks.

I always tell my people to come down a couple times at least and play with the pups. Then I ask them to wait at least until the 6 week mark before making their choice. I don't mind if the pick of the litter isn't made up until it's time for pups to go because I want them to feel they got the right dog for their family.

I think the gender of the dog is not as important as the personality of the dog. I had one family wait over a year because I didn't have a female for them. So they had the pick of the litter out of the next pairing they liked. However, when the time came they ended up picking a male because he had the most calm disposition.

Good luck hunting to everyone this fall!
FS

Well, we picked up our Golden Retreiver on October 2nd. We let the breeder pick her out. We named her Dixie. She's from field stock, therefore will be smaller than a show golden. Her mom was 50 pounds. Thanks for all your responses. She's starting to show really good signs during training. Good nose and she is very brave and tenacious. She's gonna be a good one..