• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Building an in the garage dog house

bmc

I've got my dog door installed and the kennel outside. Now I need to figure out what I need for a dog house in the garage. The garage is insulated and sheetrocked, but won't be heated this year. I'm planning on getting heat in there by next winter though. It's only a one stall garage and the house will be in the southeast corner. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Let me know.

Brian
bmc2680 at yahoo dot com

If it's in the garage you probably don't need to insulate it, but I did anyway. I got my dog house plans off the internet several years ago and souped it up. I'll see if I can find the plans and post them. It's the most over engineered dog house ever. I call it the Dog-Mahal. It has a divider in it that acts as a hallway to the main compartment to keep the wind out. It looks sort like the one in this link only not as pretty.

http://www.northernterritories.com/dog_houses.htm

I did the 3 years ago for me German Shorthair. I built it into the corner of the garage and used a dog door. I used 2 layers of styrofoam insulation ont he floor anfd then covered it with 1/2" plywood. I also made both sides and a lid out of plywood. I did not insulate the sides at all and my garage is not heated. I used a light fixture that I bought from menards. it looks like one that would be used in a warehouse. It was like a jar with a wire basket around it. I put a 100W light bulb in it and fastened it to one of the side walls about 1/2 way up. I figured my dog could move closer or farther away as she needed the heat. She does just fine in there and never comes in the house all winter. I also have a heated water bowl for her. I did end up cutting a hinged door on the inside of the garage so that I can clean it and change light bulb etc. That was a plus for sure.

holy **** Bryce, thats about exactly what I have been trying to plan out for mine. Thanks for the picks that'll help. but one question is, how is the chain link secured to the floor in the garage, I have some basic carpentry skills but have never done anything with concrete.
For now my dogs have been out most of the time, except real cold winter days, and then in there kennels in the basement at night, but its too much of a hassle, the in and out thing, and the shedding on top of that.
I need to get my fence extended from the back to extend up along side my garage, then I'll put a door in the side of the garage in to the area the kennel will be, then continue from there. Should be good for winter, cause they should get their winter coat like there supposed to, compared to now going in and out, their coats probably dont know what to do. Then a decent fan blowing in that area on hot summer days should be ok., but sometimes I think I spil them too much and worry about their comfort level, but, I guess thats ok.

Bryce, what kind of flooring do you have inside the houses for your dogs.
thanks

The inside portion is just fastened to the wall. The outside is fastened to the slab with tap-cons. Built spacers out of pvc tees to get it off the ground. Would be able to get by attaching that to the walls also but panels are the cheapies found at home improvement stores. The inside is from the Mason Company and will never buy a kennel panel anywhere else. Good service when ordering and even the light duty that I bought makes the outside feel like plastic. The kennels are from Deer Creek. They make the nice boxes that you see in the back of pick ups. They come insulated and we add shredded cedar for bedding. Believe the doors are from Johnson. Plexiglass with metal edges = chew proof. Will take some pix this weekend of my truck set up for traveling. Will give you some more good project ideas.

------------------
IBOT's # 17 & 248

I'm not sure this will be any use to you....I have a kennel that is 6x6 and about 4 or 5 feet high. If you want it you can have it...Located in Shoreview. Reply back on here and leave a e-mail or phone # if you want it.