Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
wormfood

Crate pads

wormfood

What does everyone use for a pad in a dog's crate? We've used old blankets and I've purchased pads in the $15 to $30 dollar range but they just don't stand up to a 5 month old lab who likes to chew on everything. It only takes her about 1/2 hour of 'quiet' time to chew a hole in the pad cover and pull out ALL of the stuffing.

What I'm looking for is something that she wont be able to chew through as quickly and will fit in an x-large crate.

SCAT

Wormfood,
I use carpet samples that you can pick up for very cheap at just about any carpeting store. I use two in the winter for more insulation. I also put a couple in his outside kennel. Helps reduce kennel elbow and he thinks he is laying in the living room! My lab has never used these as chew toys, but my dads will turn them into confetti in about 15min.

metrojoe

Give her a nice big rawhide bone to chew on.

Gill

My GWP pup chewed through four different crate beds in just a few months. Every time I began to trust her with the bedding, I left her alone with it during the day and it would be shredded when I came home (the presence of chew toys made no difference). So, I went to Mill End and purchased a couple yards of thick outdoor boat canvas and made a cover for the next bed. I've had it about 6-months and there isn't a single hole or tear. (BTW, it was sewed such that the opening is on the bottom and folds over so the dog cannot get at the bedding inside)

Bushwacker

After going through crate pads I bought my 6 month old lab at the time a Shadow Grass pillow from Gander M for $20. Now Libby is 11 months and the pillow is 5 months old. It is sewn pretty well and she loves it so much I think that is the reason she doesn't chew it.

wormfood

Well, I tried the carpet sample and overnight she didn't touch it - hooray!

Then I get to work after the 'beast' has been in her kennel for an hour and I get a call from my wife saying "It's shredded. There's not a piece bigger than 4 inches left!". Back to the drawing board.

The trainer at our obedience class mentioned cutting a piece of peg board for the bottom of the crate and use that without a pad. Anyone ever try that? Thanks for the ideas so far, it seems like I'll get to try them all out before I'm done.

wormfood

Gill

I tried carpet too... wink.gif

wormfood

Hey Gill,

Did you knit the canvas together yourself or did the mill do it for you?

Thanks,
wormfood

Gill

I used a sewing machine and heavy-duty thread.

uncrichie

I had the same problems. Throw the tray away. Take a piece of 3/8" or thicker plywood the size of the tray. Wrap it with a tough piece of carpet. I used berber carpet. You must wrap it around and glue it with construction adhesive or long staples. Be careful with staples so the dog can't get them. Now flip it right side up and put it in the kennel. My lab has not been interested in it at all. PS, keep it vacuumed to remove mites, excess hair etc. Uncrichie...