Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
big drift

from bumpers to birds?

big drift

Have a 11/2 yrold male black lab that has a come a long way in training he is better at staying and heeling and swimming for the bumper. Needs time to improve on holding but i usually get the bumper right away and praise him. my question is what is the transition from bumpers to birds just experiance or is there a step i am missing. we played with dead ducks last falling just throwing around the yard but this will be his real serious first season out. he does not seem to be gunshy and he will start training w/ decoys out in the water and a bumper tonight. THought of going to use a dokken dead fowl w/ scent but not a lot of confidence w/ them yet. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

FOOT

Get some LIVE pigeons and clip there wings or tape one down so they cant fly.
The first dog I trained I thought I had perfect until that first bird was a cripple. She went out to grab the ducks and it flopped and quacked and bit her ear. That was it she wouldn't go near it. Ended the day and took her back. Worked all the next week on pigeons and she was fine by the weekend but it took a long time each of the first 3 days to get her to pick up a pigeon that was flopping around.

jlm

Absolutely! Work the dog with live birds before you go into any hunting situation or you may come away very disappointed. Most dogs will get the bumper but will be scared of live birds! I started with frozen pigeons and worked my way up to live birds. Worked great! Good luck!

idratherbefishing

Where does a guy buy live pigeons and at what age do you start working with them. My yellow lab is about 10 weeks.

------------------
"Fishing is a condition of the mind in which one cannot possibly have a bad time."
idratherbefishing

jlm

I am not sure where you can buy them in your area and I personally have never bought them. I go out and catch them, they are easy to catch at night. Get ahold of someone who has been infested with these nasty critters and ask them if you can catch them...they will beg you to get rid of them. Get a flash light and grab them off their perch or out of their nests. They will not fly away if you spotlight them! If you can't do that, shoot a few and freeze them to start with. When the dog gets good with frozen birds, take him/her to a shooting club and buy some pheasants, huns, or whatever and shoot 'em! This can be very helpful for the dog! Good luck!

duckbuster

It's never to early to start working with ducks, pheasant or some kind of bird with your puppy. The quicker you get them on birds the better.

Good Luck