• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

questions about dog eating habits

simcox282

I have a choloate lab that is a little over two yrs old. OVer this last summer she has started to not eat. Usually she would do this when she was really tired now she appears to be doing it everyday. Saving her food until ????? I do not know when. She has just gotten thorugh some ear mite problems. do not know if that affects her. She is kept inside during the day and is pretty much outside all night long either playing,laying around, or running with me. We have switched dog food twice before because of this problem but this time it seems different. any help would be welcomed. also I need to find a vet as I do not know of any around the coon rapids area. Thanks
Terry Simcox

Is she free fed? Meaning food always available? I've schedule fed all my dogs for the past 30 years, and I have yet to encounter a eating problem. Those dogs literally wait by the shed door for their food. I feed once a day within an hour of the same time each day.

I had a friend who had a Choc. that would not eat when we went out hunting. We started bringing Hienz jarred gravy with and we'd put 1/4 cup in the kibble mix it up so it was all coated well, let it sit for 15 minutes to absorb in the food and then he'd at least make a go of it.

Since then he's gotten another dog and switched to schedule feeding (and switched to Diamond green bag) and he has not encountered one problem. I don't know if it's the schedule feeding, the fact there is now competition for the food with another dog or the smaller size kibble (vs. IAMS) that has made the difference, but he looks better now at 9 than he did at 5.

Good Luck!

Ken

Labs4me is right on the money. Feed only once per day and then around the same time. It is easier to plan for their going outside too. If you feed them in the evening they are ready to go in the morning and then can last all day without a break.

Hunting can take the appetite out of most any dog. Sometimes it is hand feeding just so they eat something at the end of the day but once they cool down they go back to food.

By chance is someone feeding treats too much too? A few big dog biscuits will cut down on an appetite fast. Especially if they know they are coming...why eat the regular stuff?

I can sure help finding a GREAT vet.

I also live in Coon Rapids and have a BIG male choc lab (137lbs and NOT fat!).

The ONLY place I'll take my boy is:

PineRidge Pet Care
2172 Station Parkway NW
Andover - 763-755-5321

Dr. Sheryl Fonseth is GREAT

They are about 1 1/2 miles west of Hanson off Bunker Lake Blvd.

I used to go to Coon Rapids pet hospital, our regular vet, Dr. Eva Mosey was great, but she moved south - didn't like any of the other vets much. My dog had a real big problem that was mis-diagnosed by Coon Rapids PH - he almost died! I took him to Affiliated Emergency Vet and they fixed him up.

If you EVER need EMERGENCY VET CARE I HIGHLY recommend:

Affiliated Emergency Vet
1615 Coon Rapids Blvd
Coon Rapids
763-754-9434

they are just East of Hanson on Coon Rapids Blvd.

I also tried Foley Blvd animal hospital - if you have a greyhound, they will love you (they do greyhound rescue), any other dog seems to be treated as an "evil necessity" to support their greyhound rescue.

Hope this helps.

she eats at the same time everyday -- has been doing that ever since we got her back from school ( over 1 year ago). thanks for the information.