• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Game Fair coming

Bushwacker

I have never been to the Gamefair before but I am planning on going this year. There are a couple of events that look like they would be fun to run my lab in. Does anybody know if e-collars are allowed in the events. My dog has split personalities. I don't even have to use the collar on her, but if she has it on she all of a sudden understands English. It would be fun to see how she does. She is 9 months old an primed for her first hunting season.

It would be fun to meet up with some fellow FMers down there sometime. Anybody have any ideas?

Gamefair is fun but it's like every other sporting show... mostly the same stuff, just a different year. I don't take the dog(s), it's too much of a pain.

I think it's a tremendous place to take your kids. You can educate them on just about anything related to the hunting sports. Show them all the dog breeds. Watch the dock dog events. Watch John Satterwhite shoot everything he tosses up. See the raptors. Watch some poor schmuck miss everything at the sporting clays course. Buy them a $5 duck call and teach'em how to use it sort of 8^). It's a great way to get them all jacked up about the outdoors sports.

I took my son last year when he was 4 years old and he was so excited he talked nonstop the whole time we were there. He mentions it about once every 2 months. That's how much of an impression the game fair made on him. I'll be taking my son who is now 5 and my 6 year old girl this year and you can bet both of them will be begging for a new duck call. Those $5 calls don't sound that bad either.

My hunting buddy and I can hardly wait!! He has been practicing the dock jump just waiting for the day. Can hardly control him waiting while waiting for his turn.. he loves it so much. and yes my hunting buddy that I am talking about is my Lab. HE HE.

Yes you can have a collar on your dog. It is usually very hot too so think about that when you bring you dog. They have water around and hoses too.

Also I would not take any dog there that does not have all its shots. Most people are nice but many are also unattentive to where their dog looks and sniffs. There are disagreements at times so watch your dog as others do not.

I met Ken Nordberg there and got his bear hunting book signed. As GSPman said it is a great place to bum around and look at stuff. Yes it is the same stuff year to year but we all go to the State Fair too, right?

What are the dates for the Game Fair. We can stay at a Cabin for a week each year and it seems that it always falls on the Game Fair Dates. What are this years dates.

A second question. Can anyone tell me when the Jake and Jennys day in Rochester is. That is the single best day my kids have ever had in a hunting /fishing situation. It is a great deal. They spend all day at fishing and hunting lessons. They shoot rifles, shot guns, Bows, they fish and learn about dogs. Plus they get to eat and get a darn nice door prizes for just a few bucks. If you know the dates let me know. French Spaniel

Well it is only a couple of weeks away. Game Fair. Anyone going? Anyone work their dogs on the fun stuff? My wife likes to go and see her dog jump off the dock. Yup her dog when it is fun, mine when it is work.

It would be a good place to meet a lot of FM'ers.

I saw a couple posts about the "dock jump". Can someone give me some more info on this event? What is a good distance for this event also?

Mayfly,

I have let the Monster jump off and make her big splash. Her first time she went about 15 feet. Not too bad for a Chessie. The record I saw was something over 20 feet. I think 21.5 won last year. There is two catagories, lg and sm dog.

I am going out this Sunday to check out any deals on shells and collars.

Anyone else?

Any Fm'ers want to meet up on saturday or sunday? Not sure which day I'll be there but if anyone wants to meet up let me know.

Sure I would like to meet up there.I am leaning toward Sunday late morning to get there,I will have the FRS radios as well as the cell so getting ahold of me would be easy.

I want to run the dog through a trial or two,maybe shoot the sporting clays range, and get with a few retriever clubs to see about memberships.

Also need to check out some dog training aids, need a collar very soon.

Benny

superfish,benny,mayfly,

Sunday is the day I will be there too. I am going to get a dogtra collar and load up on a couple of cases of shells for goose/duck hunting. Parking can be a hassle sometimes but where do you want to meet and at what time? I will not be there too early in the morning but hiope to be by noon or so.

swampscooter, I too am going for the Dagta collar, maybe we can swing a deal from some one there if we buy two at one time?

Email me and I will give you my number so you can call to see where I am at.
Same for you superfish, just send a note and I will reply with number.

benstackle-at-netzero-dot-net ,
I added the dashes and the words for . and @ to foil the web bots that search out e-mail address to spam.

Benny

Benny,

Good to hear. I think we will get a good deal. You have mail. Mayfly, superfish, et al. I plan on being there before 1pm. Hoping for noon. I sent info to Benny and will contact him when I get there. Any one else going?

I am two with 1 Chessie.

I will there but I don't know if will be saturday or sunday. Depends on my buddy, or actaully my buddies girlfriend. But if you see a guy with a red sox hat on with a choclate lab it's me.

Will be there Sunday morning. Look for the choc lab that looks like she's ready to squat down and start shooting out pups.

------------------
IBOT's # 17 & 248

Swamp Scooter and I made it to the fair, what a blast running the dogs in the informal competitions.
I see my dog needs work to get her hunt test certs, but at least I know she will get the dummy and bring it back once she realizes whats going on.

Scooters dog did real well, he has some time into training that dog and it shows.
I hope mine will respond after this year of hunting.

We checked out everything, even got RFG to sell us a pair of collars at a discount.

I recamend you bring lots of water for your dog,there are lots of watering places set up but no one was taking care of them.The dogs didn,t want to drink out of the buckets.

I used a water bottle and poured water out so she could drink it.

I seen a small basset hound puking up foam, I tried to tell the owner there was a pet vet just up the row aways.
But the owner just shruged it off as to much collar strain.
I feel sorry for those small dogs, they are way closer to that hot paved walk way and absorbe more heat off it.

Well I can't wait till next year now.

Benny

Yes Benny and I went and gave it a go. As all dogs do they try very hard to embarrass you while still having fun and that happened often.

I did report to the cops that I saw a man sitting behind a peice of plywood on the side of the road and behind it were two very young and very sick lab pups. They were draped over a water bowl but both were lifeless. I hope the pups got the care they needed as the person wathcing them was not interested in doing anything for them. Just limp and lifeless young pups. I hope it was a good ending.

Benny's dog really came around as the day wore on. His little Mandy did very well. I hope more FM people go out and enjoy the day. It is fun to go even without a dog.

It is a great place to show off all that your dog can do when off leash in front of a crowd! The best part is everyones dog does something different and no matter what, the handler is left there holding the leash and whistle just shaking their head.

Good deals on some things too.