• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anal gland surgery

BLACKJACK

My vet has diagnosed my 7 year old lab with an anal (thats A N A L, in case that word gets blocked) gland infection, its been a recurring thing where he'll prescribe antibiotics, it clears up, then 2 months later it comes back. Now he wants to operate and remove them. The possible consequence of the surgery is incontinence - lack of bowel control. He said it may be temporary or it may be forever. Pretty hard to have a hunting dog thats crapping all over, but it seems like the infections keep coming more often, so just biting the bullet and getting another antibiotic prescription isn't the answer.

Anybody else had this problem with their dog? What did you do?

Frankly I'm kind of bummed. The new hire, my seven month old pup, is coming along nicely and will be able to hunt this fall, but the older dog is such a good pheasant dog! We could really use her when we head out to South Dakota.

My last Brit had that surgery because her glands kept getting clogged. We were never told that it was that it was that major of a surgery. In fact, the focus of complications was on the spaying that was done at the same time. Removing her glands never seemed to bother her or slow her down.

I'm guessing he's just letting you know the long shot possibilities of problems, but I'm not a vet.

Evenflow

I don't know the situation but I would definetly get a second opinion before any major decision. I once had a vet tell me my dog needed a 900$ surgery, I got a second opinion and the second vet suggested 6 weeks of limited mobility. Long story short the dog turned out fine and have never had a problem in the field. The situations may not be the same and maybe this is the only solution but if a vet wanted to take my glands out I would check around for alternatives. Good luck.

Who are you using for a vet back there Blackjack? If not Dr. Jane at Green Lake, I would suggest a second opinion from her. If I wasn't stuck down here in the sillies, she would be my full time vet. Still do some of my vax there and the vets I use down here was in her wedding or vice versa. By the way, get in with PSEGRIZ and get an IBOT #.

IBOT # 17

The second opinion sounds like a good idea. I have an appt at the U in July, but maybe I should try a different local vet. Bryce, I go to Dr. Sanford at the Willmar Pet Hospital. As far as an IBOT number, it seems like when I get up to Red, by the time we have the pre-game warmup and then the hot bite and then fish cleaning, I'm not in any shape to wander over to the Westwind and get the clamping done. Some day.