• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

LOOKING FOR 12GA BLANK LOAD RECIPIE

FISHER ED

Does anyone have a decent recipie for loading 12ga blank loads so I can use them for dog training? I reload all my own trap shells and tried to load a few blanks using the same process, minus the shot, with no success. Looking for pointers. Do you increase the powder charge and if so, to how many grains? I load with both Red Dot and Clays. Thanks in advance. Ed

I think there is something that might go inside of these shells. My basis for this thinking is the cost for these shells are darn near equal to steel shot when purchased at a sporting goods store.

I would be interested in knowing how you do it once you perfect the recipe.

What happens when you fire the load?
I don't see how it would fail as the shot really has nothing to do with the fireing of the round.

Unless the wad is getting stuck in the barrel.
Maybe place a wad of paper in a few and try that?

One more though might be to cut the hull down to just above the powder, then place a paper disk ofr the charge and then crimp.
This would require you to re adjust the loader to that length of hull though.

Benny

When I loaded just a powder load with a regular wad, the wad would get stuck right at the end of the barrel. I also wouldn't get much of a "bang" either. I'm sure it was because there was no back pressure since the shot weight was missing. I think a little larger powder charge and some felt/paper wads instead of a regular plastic wad might be the trick. Anyone else know from first hand experience? Thanks.

Be sure not to over charge the load, you risk blowing up the breach if you have to hot of a load.

One thing I would also like to point out is that you really don't need the load report to get the dogs attention.
It can hurt there ears as well as yours by exposing them to gun fire.A simple starter pistol will do just fine, save the load bang for shooting a bird down for the dog.

Or shoot blank .22 out of a handgun.

Benny