• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St. Croix, Grantsburg area ?

Uncle Bill

I fished it 7+ years ago, fished under the bridge. Caught some small cats and a couple smallies.

Anyone else have any other info they could share????????????

I have fished it in the summer. I've only floated it in a canoe. It can get pretty shallow. It's good from smallies. I haven't caught walleyes up there. I'm sure there are a few in there. I would think the middle to end of May would be a good smallie time.

I know there are walleye in there. This past winter Ice fisherman where "hammering" the walleye out from the rasberry landing on the Wisconsin side. I've not fished that part of the river, but I know some that do. Mainly they fish for smallies, but I know there are walleye too.

That's a nice area for smallies if you can navigate it. Where the Snake River dumps is which is only a mile or so up, it's really shallow and rocky. I haven't been up much further than that.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I've canoed the river a bunch of times from Norway down by the St. Croix state park on the MN side. Can't remember the other landings along the way. I've made it a point to fish the river this summer though. Some areas get pretty deep w/ slow moving current and then there are good stretches of rapids and rocks with 1' of water that bang the crap out of the canoe. I've heard rumors of nice walleyes & muskies. Guess there is only 1 way to find out.

To find bigger eyes - 3#+ - try from norway point and go north to the island around the corner. Watch out for those stinkin big muskies. They get in the way. Especially on the outside corners. Eat,kill,eat - is all they do... You can drift/troll this area. Nevers Dam has eyes, deep dark waters, but be careful - people have drowned down there. Some of the fast rapids do not get fished. Find the deeper churned water in the rapids, pitch a shad or whatever and hold on.

If I don't miss my guess, the littletroublemaker would like all of those pesky muskies to dissapear. They just get in the way of eyes.

littletroublemaker,
I know that area of the river and where that island is at. Just never have had fishing stuff with when I've been there. Gonna have to check it out this summer. Those pesky muskies don't bother me. I've never caught one before and sure wouldn't mind hooking up with one.

On a side note, I've never seen more Bald Eagles in my life than along that stretch of river. Just amazing.

We canoed through it last year, but didn't get to fish due to the unbearable moosquitoes and a small lightening/drenching we were experiencing. BUT, I love the Norway point to hwy 70 stretch for the beeutiful scenery, history, wildlife, and variety of water. It is realy a tough stretch to beat! This year I would like to give it a try on the Mem. weekend. Am I foolish? Will the competion for camp sites be too much? If so, maybe a day trip will do. That stretch is easily canoeable in a day. Two leisurly days fishing and exploring our way down sure would be fun though. What are some of the hot colors and differant types of presentations you regulars like to use for walleyes and smallmouth?

You make find a lot of people on Memorial Weekend. But there are a lot of camp sites. Just don't wait until 6:00 PM to take one. Take it early. I usually throw rapalas or mepps for the smallies. There are a lot of shallow rapids so it's tough to use jigs. Spinner baits are also good. If you can fish from your camp spot, toss out a crawler or other live bait. Never know what you'll catch. My biggest smallies are taken from camp using live bait.

Snagger has got the picture. I would try the color when you mix yellow and red. Take out that color wheel.. Top water, and stay away from the shore. They spook easily. Camping can be tough, because of the carp cops watching your every move. Check out the dnr in G-burg, because there are secret camping sites that are allowed. And when you catch those legal teeth, have a fish fry. Great tasting. That is what all my buddies say. For skeeters I use Skin-So-Soft, when I start shaking from using too much Deet, or is that the alcohol..