Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scotteye

crappies

9 posts in this topic

Hello all, I am wondering if anyone can give me information regarding catching crappies this time of year and/or early spring. I just started fishing the river last year, but I have been unsuccessful catching crappies. My boat is at Sunnyside Marina (Stillwater,OPH), but I am willing to boat either north or south. I have taken my dad out several times looking for crappies, but no luck. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Scotteye,

I would recommend fishing the wisconsin side under the lift bridge. I have pulled several crappies out from underneath the bridge between the cement piler and the rocks. I also see alot of people fishing around the 94 bridge just off shore. I hear they do well there, unfortunately I mainly fish the river for walleye and Musky. Hope this helps a little.

Early in the season, try tucking right into the eddy formed by the point on the WI side that supports the lift bridge.

just as sturgeon46 said, just off the current break south of the concrete support pillar. i grew up in hudson and thatis a awesome night time spot for crappies.
Try slipp bobbers/7' rod fished with colored gamakatsu hooks 1 to 2 ft.below suface..Right on the edge of the current.
I usually am on shore when i do this, there is a large light on the bridge that shines there, it really attracts baitfish during certain times of the year.. good luck!

In addition to this good info the crappies like to spawn over soft bottoms areas of the river that are out of the wind and current.

Also the suspended idea is right on, but I like the half way point between surface and bottom.

Keep catchin'
Turk
Croixsippi Guides
www.croixsippi.com

Turk- There seems to be a lot of stucture North of Stillwater that would be ideal for early season crappies, but I was unable to catch any. Muddy bottom, warmer water tempt, but I didn't find any fish. Have you ever caught anything North of Stillwater, or would you concentrate South?? Thanks for any information.

Scott

I love fishing for crappies on the St. Croix i usually catch them under the bridge in prescot. if you put your line down right on the line where the missippi and st. Croix cross you are bound to catch some of the biggest crappies of your life.

Scotteye,

Sure north of Stillwater can be great, finding crappies on spawning sites can be hit and miss, but the area is definately worth checking out for cerappies and walleyes. Each year is different with different water levels and where the crappies will spawn , and that factor is why it not always a slam dunk, Use tiny twister tails to find the active fish.

Keep Catchin'
Turk

If anyone wants to go crappie fishing this spring, let me know! The boat is always ready to go.