• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Turk

01/18/04
The bite on the St. Croix River’s Bayport area keeps improving for crappies. A fairly consistent bite is occurring in the morning hours and to some extent in the last two hours of the day as well. The best news is the size of the crappies, overall size has improved and notably a good amount of 14” plus slab are being iced. Crappie locations remain over the deep basin in 36 to 38 feet and bobbers with crappie minnows is the best approach. Plain hooks or jigs are both working and some days the jig hooked minnow is a better presentation. Unfortunately walleye and sauger have not been mixed in at the usual rate. Trucks are driving on the ice and crossing the Andersen “Bridge”.

Keep catchin'
Turk
Croixsippi Guide service
www.croixsippi.com

[This message has been edited by Turk (edited 01-18-2004).]

Turk,

I live close by and have not fished the Croix in the winter. Where do you access the ice in the Bayport area? Would it be a long walk out to the 30-40 ft depth? I want to give it a try but also want to leave the truck close to shore/ on shore.

THanks in advance,

MK

Well if you leave the truck on the shore you'll get a ticket.

You can park on the ice though as it is public property.

If you are leary about vehicles on the ice as the ice is a frozen river just park in Bayport Park and hoof it...the walk is easy by my account. Let us know about the results!!

Keep Catchin'
Turk

Turk,

Thanks for the reply, I'll post anything interesting, just love those thick shouldered river fish!!

MK

I've been down between Afton and Prescot a couple times in the past week with very poor results. 8 hours between the 2 days and the best I could do was drown a half dozen minnows. I'm begining to wonder if there's a gamefish left in the river. The ice down there has really freaked me out, the place where I was the first day had about 5" of ice. Went down river a mile or so the next outing and found almost 10". Not more than 200 yards away from me a guy was driving his truck. I think I'm going to have a hard time driving on the river again.