• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sturgeon Bait?

eyeballs

Okay so I hooked into my first big sturgeon this past weekend. For sure over 50in. i would have to say it was bigger, but it only came out of the water once, and man did it look huge at the time. I was walleye fishing and was using fatheads. I was wondering if anyone has a bait that seems to work better that others. I do know one thing, next weekend were fishing with muskie and cat gear for the wallies! I'm not loosing another one of those beasts! What a blast!

Last Saturday up at Taylor Falls some guy and my buddy were trying Night crawlers. two to three at a time. Ive also read same thing on here last year. In other places like Northern Calif. they use Shrimp. Have you been to Calhoun in a while?Evan though I live right down the street I have given it the year off.

I was just browsing through the regs. and noticed that the Sturgeon season closed yesterday on the Criox (not like I wanted to keep one anyway). Well I geuss I'll have to add a little fireline to the walleye rigs.

Hey, Dragon.
Long time no see.
Yeah I have been on Calhoun a little lately, but I have been spending most of my time on the Criox. Due to the superb fishing. Lots of bass and muskie going in the daytime and the walleyes are starting at Calhoun, but they aren't going too well yet. The walleyes on the Criox last weekend were on fire Sun. and okay on Sun. Lots of wh.bass and that honker sturgeon.
Good luck!
NIC......

Eyeballs,

If you wouldn't mind me asking... What were you using to catch the White Bass and at what depth?

Thanks,
BassPatrol

------------------
It's All About Finesse Baby!

Eyeballs; I had a similar first time sturge experience last spring on the Rainy river. We were walleye fishing but knew of the sturgeon potential, my buddy caught 2 about 38-38 inches before I hooked a big one. 90 minutes on 6 lb. test, landed a 53 incher, big fun. We went back up after walleye closed and landed 12 sturgeon in 2 days, 2 47 inchers were the biggest. Yes, we used heavy tackle the second trip! We baited with crawlers, 2 or 3 on the hook. I'll be heading back this coming spring, just love big fish!!!

Bass Partol,
I was in 17-25 feet using fatheads and dragging lindy rigs. The majority where nice fish 1lb-2lb. I'll be out and about Sunday in a little red Starcraft. If it goes as well as it did last weekend I'll be back on Monday. Oh yeh, I was fishing South of Afton.

Went out this afternoon (man what a zoo), and had a pretty slow day. Two decent wallies and a dozen or so wh. bass. We did however manage to get three sturgeon. The biggest was only 40in. Be back in the morning to try agian. All fish came out of less than 20ft of water.

eyeballs,

Thanks for the info. I will give the St. Croix a try this weekend.

-BassPatrol

This past weekend was really slow for me. How about everyone else? Dis see a 30+lb flathead caight on Monday. We also mamaged a 48in. sturgeon on Monday as well. This weekend however seems to be working in the fishermans favor. I will have to try it agian.
Now that I thinnk about it, I did see one guy trying to get reflex strikes out of the walleyes and was doing fairly well. I should give that a try sometime, but lack confidence in the technique.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.