Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
liphooked

launching a boat on St. Croix

14 posts in this topic

Where is the best place to launch a boat to get on the St. Croix? i used one last Saturday on the Minnesota side just south of I-94 and it got very busy (especially getting off the river!). is there anyplace cheaper than the $12.00 charge i had to pay?

Looking forward to trying the St. Croix again soon. How busy is the river on weekdays (like Thursday or Friday?) as compared to Saturday morning?

There's a public launch just North of Stillwater. It's about a block North of hwy 95 and hwy 96. It's FREE.

There's also a very nice triple wide in Bayport $8 for fishing boats. It's called the Beach House Marina. Turn East at Woody's bar on Hwy 95.

Further South is the Bluffs regional park So. of Afton hwy 21 I think? $20 for the whole year. Another awesome launch with dockage and a harbor.

Ferny

If you like the south end like I do, Bluffs Regional park can't be beat. The public launches don't have enough parking, the pay launches are really expensive. Bluffs is $20 for a year - - from the month you buy it, not calendar year. The launch is fantastic and there is at least 50 parking spots.

I've also heard that there is a pay launch near the public launch north of Stillwater on 95. Does anyone know where that is (north or south) in relation to the public launch, and how much they charge?

GreyGoose,
Bluffs regional park is between Afton and Prescott. It is on the Mn side on St. Croix trail. I see you live in Eagan take 494 to 61 south past Cottage Grove look for 95 north (stop light on 61) take left onto 95. Go about 1 mile or so and take right on the first blacktop road. Stay on this road and it will run into St. Croix trail (3 miles) take left park is on the right (1 mile). Hope I didn't confuse you to much !!!???

Perfect place to put the boat in!!

The first Tuesday of every month is always free to use the park so check it out!!

crappie getter,

------------------
Chris's Croix Guide Service
http://fishingminnesota.com/stcroixguide/
(651) 458-1899
arndts@tcq.net
St. Croix River

How do I get to this Bluffs regonial park you speak of? Sound like a good deal.

------------------
God Bless America
Please Practice Catch and Release

Thanks for the directions crappie,
This sounds like it's a little closer than driving to Hudson too.
Now, I've never fished this section of the river much, mostly to the south of there and up to Hastings and up around the Hudson area. So where should I start looking for Mr. Walleye? I still need to get a good map of this river, any suggestions?

------------------
God Bless America
Please Practice Catch and Release

Swede, There is another pay launch by the Stillsville public. It's called Rumpf's Dutch Harbor. I don't know if it's still open it's been a couple years since I used it. It's located at the jct. of Hwy 95 and Hwy 96 instead of going to Wolfs Marina you take a right to go to Rumpfs.

Ferny.

Kinnie Narrows is great - always. Afton area is good too. Sept-Oct is fantastic.

greygoose,

Check out the prescott no wake area and the kinni area. These are the most popular areas in that section of the river. It's decent now but will be better in early october. Good luck!

crappie getter,

------------------
Chris's Croix Guide Service
http://fishingminnesota.com/stcroixguide/
(651) 458-1899
arndts@tcq.net
St. Croix River

Thanks Ferny

Be careful launching at the BLuffs, its a very steep and deep launch, MANY people have torn up their trailers with the low water... the bottom rocker guide catches on the concrete when taking boat out, not putting trailer in...

Makes horrible sound... when they ground the bottom plate on the launch... urghhhh

I've heard a few really scrape pretty good on the way in too. Really hurts to hear that sound. The problem is the access drops off significantly and we are a foot or so below that. The back of your trailer is in much deeper water than usual because of the dropoff. The trailer catches on the top of the dropoff. That and when take the front trailer hooks off the boat goes quickly into the water. I have seen a few almost take water in the back of the boat.

Newer trailers seem to have it worse as they have a larger hump (the bottom rocker guide) with less clearance. I'd like to shake the hand of the guy that engineered that! frown.gif

I had my fishing partner use his truck to get my boat out as it has higher clearance and we used a higher clearance hitch. The drop hitches are bad news now.

We need rain bad!!!

[This message has been edited by walleyehawk (edited 09-02-2003).]

Also WATCH YOUR FINGERS... I almost lost mine when the boat launched down the hill when I released the chain and latch...

Wally