Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Badgerman

Quick tips near Hudson

5 posts in this topic

Hello-

I am planning on going out tomorrow or Thursday on the St. Croix, we are going to put in at Beanies and fish around the Hudson area. Any tips for me on where to fish for the 'eyes and associated techniques? We usually fish near the bridge and troll up the east side from below Hudson. Also, for live bait, what is my best bet, crawlers?

Thanks,

Badgerman,

I would give the channel and turn bridge a try with a crawler. May want to jig around turn bridge(snaggy). Go early in the morning to avoid traffic. You may also want to try catfish point with a crawler or three way with a rap. I have not fished the rocky point just south of beanies, but may also be worth a try. Good Luck to ya.

Badgerman,

20' of water has been good all year and spinners w/ (would you believe) minnows are producing well lately... Either trolled three way or on lindy rigs... Just launch and survey a likely area and work it well... good luck!
Keep catchin'
Turk
Croixsippi Guide Service
www.croixsippi.com

Was out on the lower Croix Tuesday, jig and minnows were the top bait with spinners and crawlers a distant second. Most of the action was in water less than 20 with the best action coming in the middle of the afyernoon! Go figure. Just when you think you got it all worked out.

All-

Thanks for the hints. We went out yesterday and did ok. Caught a handful of 'eyes at the bridge, all within 30-45 minutes of each other, from 10:15-11:00 using jigs and lindy rigs with crawlers. Also went north past the bridge and fished the west shore after the marina south of the andersen smokestack. Caught a couple of bass, crappies and a pretty big northern with a lampray sucking the life out of it. In the early evening we were trolling off the east shore just south of the 94 bridge in 25-35 feet of water and my electronics were going nuts. We caught walleye and white bass there, but only a few.

Since it was only my third time out on the St. Croix I was pretty happy with our day(just being on the water would have been enough vs work!!!). Thanks again for all your tips, hopefully someday I will have enough St. Croix experience built up that I can return the favor to a new person on the board.

-Badgerman