Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
southerner

weekend report

3 posts in this topic

A couple of us were out Saturday early just north of Stillwater. We spoke with a fellow whose partner and he were out doing a bit of early season muskie fishing. I didn't think the season opened 'til today, but because I didn't have my regs handy and it's a border water I figured maybe the season opened early on the Croix and/or I was ignorant regarding the date of the opener. In any case, he stated they had good action working relatively shallow mud-bottomed bays, with several follows and a fish or two on the line.

OK, now my report. We jigged for 'eyes with some success (2 keepers) in 10-12' of water. Lots of sheepies also. Smallmouth were hitting cranks being thrown up to the rocky shores, but little luck using spinnerbaits in the same locations. Several swipes by rather large pike also, but nothing hooked for us. I'll try it again later this afternoon. Good luck.

Southerner

I was thinking about going there later this week. How is the water level and current? How far north did you go? I have a small motor on my boat and I can't go very far.

From the launch off highway 95 north of Stillwater you can go about 5 miles upriver to the train bridge before having to turn around due to Zebra mussel investation reasons. There's lots of backwater areas, chunk rock shoreline, and several good holes for walleyes. You shouldn't have any problem at all w/your 9.9. Good luck!