Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Steve-O

license question

Steve-O

If you are a Wisconsin resident and bought a non-resident Minny license can you legally fish the 'Croix? This guy told me that if you are a resident of WI you need a resident's license to legally fish the boundary waters of WI/MN.
Anybody know for sure?

CrapMan

you should be able to fish from either side of the river with either license.

crappie getter

Crapman is right it doesn't matter where you are from as long as you have either MN or WI fishing license and you can fish from either shores!

crappie getter,

------------------
Chris's Croix Guide Service
http://fishingminnesota.com/stcroixguide/
(651) 458-1899
arndts@tcq.net
St. Croix River

Bodyman

I wouldn't count on that being right. In the Wis regs book it says under the WI/MN boundary waters section."Wisconsin residents need a Wi.License and Mn residents need a Mn. license to fish in these boundary waters."

While being checked by the Mn DNR on the Croix I showed him my Mn non-resident license and he said I had better have the Wi resident license also, which I did or it would have been a fine.

Information that could lead someone into getting a fine should be checked out before posting.

Fishing is Life.

[This message has been edited by Bodyman (edited 05-28-2003).]

shale

I asked the DNR this same question a couple years ago and at that time you needed a licence from your state of residence.

southerner

What sort of illogical thinking is that?! Though nothing is ever as easy as it first seems, it is my opinion that if an angler has a license from either state, irregardless of their state of residence, then they have paid their dues and may therefore fish the border water. Aren't these rules designed and put into place primarily to protect the fishery? I fail to see where this rule, if in fact true, even hints at this goal.

I believe it was one of the Lindner boys who stated that "It's barely legal to fish in Minnesota". Must be the same case for Wisconsin.

Maybe there's something I'm missing here, but nothing's come to mind. Does anybody else out there have some insight to share with us?

Southerner

Coach

I was also told that if you only have a Minn. license you can only fish the Minn. side, is this true?

crappie getter

I will figure out the problem with the DNR will post on thurs.

crappie getter,

------------------
(651) 458-1899
arndts@tcq.net
St. Croix River

Turk

Steve O,

Here is the deal, at least for boat fishing

You NEED a license for the state you reside in!

Plenty of folks get in trouble with the following scenario.... they have a WI cabin, and live in the Twin Cities, but assume that since they have a WI license, and the Croix is a border water that they should be ok to fish the Croix. Nope, you'll get a ticket..right or wrong you choose but that's the deal....

Keep catchin'
Turk
www.croixsippi.com

shale

You can fish from either side as long as you have a license from your resident state.

STILLNOFISH

I have a quick question then. I took my sister and her husband out last week on the river. They live in minnesota and have a cabin in Wisconsin. They decided to buy a seven day license for non resident in Wisconsin, so they could fish the lake their cabin is on over Memorial day weekend. We were stopped by the DNR on the river and he checked their non resident license and said everything is ok. Was he wrong?

WALLEYE HUNTER

I call MN DNR info and they told me that you can fish from a boat on border waters with either license but you must be licensed in the state you are fishing from if you are shore fishing.

crappie getter

I called the DNR this is what they say. If you live in either WI or MN you need to be licensed in the state that you live in to fish the croix. If you are not from either state you need to buy a nonres license from the state that you will be staying in!! So in short if you live in WI you have to have a WI license to fish the croix a MN nonres license will not work! If you are from Florida and are staying in a MN hotel you need a MN nonres license. I was suprised by this. You can fish either shores with the right license. Meaning if I live in MN and have a MN license I can fish on the WI side shore providing I am in the boundy water areas. I think they have a problem with this! I assumed that either license would work. I never seen any rules on a non-res license. Pretty confusing!!!

Good Luck with this!!

crappie getter,

------------------
(651) 458-1899
arndts@tcq.net
St. Croix River

G_man

Here is a quirk I thought about this year. As my Dad lives in WI and I live in MN, we tend to fish the croix on the WI and the MN openers. He purchases a resident WI license and I purchase a resident MN license ...

Well, during the WI opener, when the MN fishing season is still a week away, I am fishing with a MN license -- and in that state, you can't be legally fishing for game fish yet.

I didn't call but I reasoned that while the inland waters of the state of MN are closed the week before the opener, the border waters with WI are open according to the MN rule book. Hence I didn't call the DNR, but I hope I don't ever get a fine for doing this. I know plenty of MN-ites that do the same thing I am doing.

I guess it is just part of the goofy situation ...

crappie getter

G Man,

Your all good as long as you have the right license ( you live in MN and have a res MN license )The boundry waters of the St. Croix opens for both states on the first saturday of may!

crappie getter,

------------------
(651) 458-1899
arndts@tcq.net
St. Croix River

STILLNOFISH

I am still curious as to why the gamewarden let my sister and her husband go, when they only had non resident licenses. The warden may have even been confused about this rule.

crappie getter

I think alot of people are confused by this rule! I know I was.

crappei getter,

------------------
(651) 458-1899
arndts@tcq.net
St. Croix River