• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

dam at Taylors falls

hulk

does anyone know if you can access shore
from the minnesota side, or if I can fish shore side of Wisconson with Mn.license,

You can not access the MN shore,but you can fish the WI shore. The MN side is all private. But remember nothing is open there, and the game wardens watch it heavy.

• 3 weeks later...

can you still fish above the ****? for crappies? i saw a boat or 2 out there fishing.

I just move to Lindstrom MN. I can't wait to tap the ST Croix. Were could i launch a 18ft boat?? Can I fish below TF dam in a boat? As you can see I need some help. I'm looking to track dooown those white bass and some walleyes. Any help would be great. Always Catch and release

Hey BigFish...

Welcome to the east side. You can access the St. Croix below TF @ the state park on the MN side off of highway 8, and there's also a launch on the St. Croix Falls, WI side. I just launched @ the state park this morning to test the white bass. The launch is fairly well protected from current so that helps when loading/unloading. My 16.5' Nitro got in and out very easily, though I've got a friend with a 17.5' deep-V Alumacraft which required a bit of maneuvering to get his boat on/off there. Overall, it's a nice launch. Probably 20-30 parking spaces also. Of course there's a $4 daily permit or $20 annual, but that's the standard. It's about 1 mile or so up to the dam from the state park. Maybe only half that distance from the WI side launch.

Regarding the white bassin', when I got on the river this morning I was shocked to read the water temp at only 41F. Last weekend on the Miss River @ Red Wing it was 49F. Yeah, it's been cold and rainy, but come on! Warm up! White bass start schooling below the dam at temps between 50 and 55, according to the fishing encyclopedia I have tucked next to the bed. So, I pretty much knew it would be a tough bite this morning. My suspicions were confirmed when in 1.5 hrs of casting I only saw two swirls @ the surface. It's just got to warm up a bit before they stack up in there. I'm going to give it another two weeks and then try again.

Regarding shore access (I can't remember who asked), on the WI side there is a park that people can shore-fish from which gives good access to the big eddy. Shouldn't be too much of a problem catching some quality fish from there. In fact, last year I got out of the boat and cast from shore with good results. I did see a couple groups of fisherpersons on the MN side right south of the two docked paddleboats. So, I'd say if you can find parking near the scenic overlook, you can probably shore fish the riprap/rocky bank in that area. In fact, every time I've been there I've seen shorefishermen. Good luck!

Transplanted Southerner

Never been to the dam, Is there any place to shore fish near the dam?

And how do I get down to the dam...I can see it from HWY 8 but never knew there was a way to get to the dam?

I've shore fished at the state park or rented a canoe and fished here and there but is there any shore access by the dam?

If anyone could give me directions I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

BigFish... You can go as far north as you'd like before reaching the dam itself. I'd bet you could make it right to the dam itself, not that I'm recommending it with the undertow and turbulence. Personally I'm not all that comfortable maneuvering in the turbulent water directly below the dam, so I stick downriver about 100 yards in the eddies. Really saves on the trolling motor battery too when not having to keep repositioning/holding in the flowing water.

Regarding shore access right at the dam, I really don't know. Again, on the Wisconsin side I've seen folks fairly close to the dam, fishing off the rocky bank. The only place I've seen people access the MN side is by walking down the grade to where the paddleboats are docked. There may be ways to get closer on the MN side, but in my opinion the fishing is just as good near the paddleboats as it is up closer to the dam. Not to mention it's easier keeping the lure down in the water column where there's a bit less flow.

Good luck!

The MN side is private property. So make sure you ask permission before you head down. You can get to the dam through the park on the WI side.

Here ya go...

Go to mapquest.com
pull up the map for Taylors Falls,MN
go to big map
zoom in on Walnut St
where in crosses Oak is where we used to walk down and fiah the MN side. A nice pool depending on water levels, but the walk back up isn't a pretty thing for one with ticker troubles, so I haven't been there in years.

For the WIS side, same map, you can see river st. takes you about to the power station.

Hey! Anyone out there going to fish above the dam on Sat. for Walleyes? I'll be there for sure. Say Hi if you see me (White BlueFin)

------------------
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

Southerner,
Have you actually maneuvered up through the swift water area just below the Highway 8 bridge to get up on the north side of that area? I have put in on the WI side many times (by the paddle boats), but have never ventured much more north than the sharp left turn just belwo the bridge. The water always looked a little too nasty, and I didn't know if there were rocks and stuff in there, so I have always stayed back. If it is a pretty simple run up through there, I might give it a shot. I am sometimes coming back way after dark - anything to worry about?

Hey I just picked-up my pass for the state park last weekend. I asked how far north i could venture with my 18 foot Lund. The guy in the office said you couldn't make passed the rapids By the pothole viewing area. Which is the area just south of HWY 8. I walked up that way and to be honest I did not feel comfortable make that run through th rapids. can you lunch north of 8 and still be below the dam??? Also looking for a area to lunch north of the dam. Any ideas?? see ya

BigFish,
To launch North of the dam go to Lions park about 1-2 miles north of St. Croix Falls.
They have a donation box. Beware of nail heads on the dock, put a nice 7'' gash in my Ranger a few years ago.You will find this an excellent launch with parking if you get there early enough.

No there is no where else below the dam. But there is also a launch on the MN side just north of Taylor Falls. It's a little more primative but theres always room for parking.

Hey Hammer... No, it sounds like I've made it just as far as you have below the dam. Once you round the turn where the rapids start, that's where I turn around. Again, I'm just not comfortable with the turbulence and the potential for underwater obstructions, not to mention all the logs and trees that I've seen floating downstream.

However, I did see a fellow in a 17'-18' deep-V anchored on the WI side right near the turn. Looks like he had to brave some of the whitewater to get there. I wouldn't recommend it to any one of my friends though.

Sounds like I'll be seeing some of you fellas up north of the dam this Saturday. Say hi to the younger guy in the white/blue Nitro if you're feeling sociable.

Southerner