• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Weekend Report

southerner

One nice 17" walleye yesterday evening at the powerplant, caught on a swimming glow jig tipped with a fathead. Not much action on the vex.

Anybody else?

Southerner, I was down there today from around noon to 7 pm.Caught five catfish at first.Two were pretty big.The others were 2-3 lbs. After that I caught three walleyes,only one was legal.As I was packing up my bobber rod was still in and the bobber went down and it was a 13" crappie.All the above fish were caught on a yellow 1/4 oz. jig head with a tail-hooked fathead under a slip bobber.I couldn't coax them into taking spoons,raps or anything.Time is running out on the season.I think my wife will be glad.I tell her it keeps me out of trouble.But wait,crappie never closes..................Good Luck Fishing!!!

Hey Guys,
How do I go about acessing the Powerplant area? Those cats sure sound like alot of fun.

I was out on Saturday AM until early afternoon. Fished North of the open water and point. A few crappies and a handful of smallies. The wind wasn't blowing too hard and the sun was shining. Perfect day.

Doesn't sound like a bad weekend overall, fellas.

Mr. Special, there are a couple ways to get over to the powerplant (that I know of). Most folks driving trucks out there will take the plowed road north from the MN side. The access is on the south side of Bayport, south about four blocks from the Bayport beach. I don't know the road name, but turn off 95 toward the river at the first "road". You actually drive in and through a townhome community on a windy road. This is the road that leads you directly to the ice road going over to WI. Once at the river, instead of going across to WI, head NW on the plowed road. It'll take you within 300 yards or so of the open water near the powerplant discharge. Pull off of the road (where the other vehicles are) and hike the last 50-100 yards to the "thin ice" signs.

Another option that I've used is to park at the north Bayport Beach parking lot (big dirt lot) and drive down the paved trail on ATVs. Just follow the existing tracks down onto the ice.

Maybe others can elaborate a bit more on my directions. If you can find the ice road then you're in business. Good luck!

Thanks Southerner,
Maybe I'll see you down there sometime soon. If it was for this whole job thing I'ld be down there right now.

Hey Guys,
Thinking of taking off work early Thursday to fish out the last day of the season. Would anybody like to join? Any company will be greatly appreciated, especially since I've never fished there before.

Good luck

As in your case, Mr. Special, that whole work thing gets in my way. If I get out of my last meeting early then I'll be out there, but I'm not counting on it. If I'm there, look for two guys on a Polaris ATV pulling a green ATV trailer. If I'm not there, good luck!

I'll be in a red cherokee, I'll have a purple barraucuda auger and two man otter.

Hope to see you there.

Should I bring my bigger walleye jigs, spoons and bobbers? Is current a big factor or can I go with a regular crappies setup? Which usually is a glow jig, snapshot, and icebuster bobber.

Thanks and Good luck

Mr. Special, the current is a big deal.I have a folding,two hole portable.What I have found works is that you have to have a hole downstream from the hole you are jigging in to put the flasher transducer in so the lure shows up.If it's in the same hole you're jigging in,the current takes the lure out of the cone.Getting back to the shack:what I do is jig in the upstream hole,looking at the flasher and the downstream hole has the transducer and the deadstick rod in it.Usually you can keep the lure on the screen.Hope this helps.

Thanks Sinker,
So other wise your setting up parrallel with the current. Thats a neat trick. Will you be down there tomorrow?

sinker, i will be down there today friday and saturday. i think i'll give my shack one last try brfore i pack it up. stop by maybe we can have a couple cold ones. if anyone else is around stop by too, my shack is the pink one all by itself 200 yards south of the main colony on the wisconsin side.

Thanks Sinker,
I'll be down at Bayport on the MN side tomorrow between 2-8pm. Anyone stop by and say Hi if your around.

Good luck

Mr. Special, that's exactly what I'm talking about.It seems the heavier the jig head or lure,the better.Have to experiment to see what stays on the screen.Like the Angel Eyes seemed too light and had too much surface,so the current just swept it out of the flasher cone.Also when the baitfish come through and clutter the screen,your lure usually disappears from the screen because there isn't enough signal coming back to show up.Yeah, I should be down there sometime Fri. and Sat.Good Luck Fishing!!!*********TRZ, I'm sure I'll bump into ya'.Last week I caught some real nice crappies directly out from your house.It seemed farther out on Sunday.Did you move it?Can't seem to connect with the saugers in that area lately.Was real good a month ago.Anyhoo, I'll see you down there.Good Luck Fishing!!!