Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Catching anything?

9 posts in this topic

I know the post is pretty short and lame but I was re-entering my password and wanted to see if it worked.Planning on fishing the river this weekend.Anyone doing any good?Later.

I fished from 8AM to 1:00PM. It was really dead in 32' of water. I have to admit that on a day like today, I was not very portable. I set up the shack and got kind of lazy about moving again. I marked lots of fish and had a few "follows" on the vex, but you never know what it could have been down there. I hope you guys on the WI. side did better.

Hunt4food, yeah I agree that when it gets cold and windy,it's definitely harder to move.Auger blades get encased in ice and it doesn't want to cut very well.Tonight I ruined my minnow bucket because it was wet on the bottom and instantly froze to the ice when I was bringing everything into the shack.Couldn't budge it.Ripped it all to heck.I tried a spot on the MN. side tonight.Got skunked.The flasher showed baitfish coming through alot so I thought,"good deal".Didn't get a hit.Yesterday I did catch some fish out deep.Two saugers,14" and 15".They were caught on a small gold swedish pimple and minnow head.Couple white bass and a small crappie that I let go.Then I went in to about 24' of water around 4:00.Caught and released two pretty nice smallmouth bass right away.One took a minnow on a green jig and the other took a gold angel eye spoon.Then at 6:00 I finally caught a legal walleye-15 1/2".Also released a smaller one.They were on a orange glow rattlin' spoon with minnow head.Keep in touch.Good Luck Fishing!!!

Hey nice tips, thanx!

I know the word gets pretty quiet in the winter, nice to hear of some success out there.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
/
<The Sucka{
\

Sucka, that's what I look for on this forum.There is alot of river down there and I crave any info that might help.I really like to see reports on here about how people did,good or bad.Both can help you plan where your going to go before you even hit the ice.Turk was always talking about moving in shallower for walleyes in the late afternoon.I started trying it this year because I would get a walleye only once in a while out deep.It works.I've caught and released alot this year.One keeper but alot that were real close.I know they are there,it's just a matter of figuring them out.Good Luck Fishing and let me know how you do.Later.

I haven't been down there much this year. Do most of my fishing in the river during open water but am heading down there on Friday. I will certainly post, good or bad. I've got a couple ideas where to start out, but I'm sure things will be slow to moderate as they have been all over. You can always count on some nutso pike to blast your lure, but it's gonna be some finesse work til late ice comes around.

I think Im gonna get the Mr Heater and the sleeping bag and spend the night on the floor of my boat tonight. Sweet dreams...

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
/
<The Sucka{
\

do any of you gentlemen know whether or not people are driving cars/trucks out on the river.... going from the MN side to WI side near bayport? i'm looking to move my house tonight. thanks!

Sucka, can't wait for that open water,eh? I love ice fishing but late in the winter you do look forward to break-up and warmer weather.Later.