• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Caught a sturgeon!

blacksportsman

Hi-

Well, we had our first ice fishing trip to Bayport on sunday. Got there at about 4:00pm and fished until 7:00pm. We had set up over 28' depths and were using fatheads on a variety of presentations. A few light bites here and there. At about 5:30pm (using a fathead on a plain hook) hooked into something substantial. Fought the fish for 15 minutes before I caught my first glimpse of it, a flash of its tail before it made one last run. About 5 minutes later got the fish up to the hole. Looked down the hole and I saw that I had caught a lake sturgeon (first one I ever caught). Took some maneuvering to get it to come up snout first. Measured 34" long and had a blue and silver ice jig in its snout with a short length of line trailing from it. Removed the jig and gently released it down the hole. Exciting stuff! Thanks for the info on Bayport. We'll be trying it again soon!

Manny

Hey Manny, that's my jig rolleyes.gif just kidding. Good job on the prehistoric fish. I always wanted to catch a sturgeon on the croix but never was that lucky. I bet it was one heck of a fight thru the ice. Get any pic's?? again, good job and good luck.

Fishing is Life.

[This message has been edited by Bodyman (edited 01-06-2003).]

I'll bet the light bites were mud puppies. . . you have not been fully "Croix-ized" until you have caught one of those four legged ugly things!

Anything else besides the sturgeon (congrats, by the way!)? How was everyone else doing?

Hiya folks-

No pics this time. I usually keep a Kodak disposable on me, but haven't purchased another one yet. Won't forget next time! It was just my buddy Mark and myself (blue clam junior straight off the beach 100+yds) and the sturgeon was the only fish caught. According to the flasher, we seemed to have been marking baitfish between 14' and 22' off and on with an occasional stronger mark cruising around the same depths.

Sturgeon46, I think you're right about the mudpuppies. I've caught them before on pool #2 of the Mississippi river while slip bobber-ing for walleyes. Well guys, thanks for the replies. We'll see ya next time...

Manny