• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cooling water temps...

I sure love this time of year. Put on the rain gear and get some hot action in cold water! Landed 3 sturgeon last night in the crappy weather. Eventually it got the best of me, but I put in a good 2 hours. One of the fish weighed over 14 lbs! Still a dink by sturgeon standards, but it sure didn't feel like it on my walleye setup. 8lb mono and a spinner harness/crawler.
The other two were under 5 lbs. Caught two walleyes and one big ol' sheephead too. Haven't shore fished for a while, so it was kinda nice to sit back and just watch rod tips for a bit, even if it was raining and cold out( so much for the fire).
Caught everything on worms at around 8ft of water. The shallow lanes are starting to host some migrating sturgeon so get your lines in 'em soon!

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
/
<The Sucka{
\

Sucka,

Would you be willing to suggest a couple of shore spots to fish? Got home from work last night and my six year old catfisherman,
who has a slight cold says, "lets go fishing." Ya gotta love it. Catching a sturgeon even a small one would round out his season. Fall is a great season to fish, the smell of fireplaces, color changes and crisp air. What a great life.

Thanks,

dadandsonfish

Sure. A couple of spots that are easy to get to and have what I call "lane access" are, the Wisconsin side of the Stillwater bridge ( kinda snaggy though, use no-snag bottem bouncers for weights, or bullet style).
The Osceolla Park fishing pier is good too. Cast off to the left and let your bait sit at the top of the ledge. There is also a backwater behind the dock that holds fish all year.
You can also try right off the park in Stillwater. I have seen some nice fish pulled up from there at night. (The south end of the park is very snaggy so watch out).

Hope you have some luck out there. Let us know how you do!

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
/
<The Sucka{
\

The Sucka,

Thanks for the tips, it is very much appreciated. I think we'll stay close to home around the bridge, although Osceola sounds good. I assume crawlers would be the bait of choice and is there there any particular time that would be better than the other to fish? If you're out there, please stop by and say hello, we welcome company. I'll be the guy who is being outfished by my miniature clone.

Thanks again,

dadandsonfish

I'll put in a second on the dock at Osceola. Sturgen, walleyes, Crappies, Sunnies, Mudpuppies, should all be in there right now.Crawlers and minnows would be the bait. Fat heads would be the smallest I would bring. Cut bait for the cats there. The key to this spot is to stay after dark. I used to fish alot of lighted bobbers there for eyes and crappies. Fish on the bottom for the others but stay after dark. You might not catch anything during daylight. I was taking a few legal eyes off the dock last year at this time of year bottom fishing.
Good luck

Sucka,

Thanks again for the info. It sounds like Osceola is the place to go. We'll probably head up there after dinner tonight, dependent on weather. Would you suggest Osceola as your first choice or the Stillwater area. Since, this is our first shot at this, I'm open to your advice/suggestions. If you're out, please stop by, visit and we can chat over a coffee or soft drink.

dadandsonfish

As a long time "lurker" to this forum, I finally decided to belly up to the bar so to speak. So now I can offer some advice to this shore fishing topic. First, as of last night (10/10)the St. Croix water level is very high again, so fishing at the Stillwater bridge isn't as "snaggy" as when the water is lower. Having fished that area for a number of years I can honestly say that while this time of year that place can be super productive for walleyes, it isn't right now. wait until the water goes down. The other thing about that area is that it isn't a real large area to fish, and fall seems to draw quite a few people. Now, since I am a Hudson resident, I can offer some other great spots for shore fishing. St. Croix Street. At the old train bridge looking out at the bay is going good right now, on 10/9 I caught 4 18" to 22" eyes in about 1 hour starting right at sundown. From there you can walk out to the swing bridge (never mind the signs that say R.R. private property, they don't seem to mind fishermen) try the north side of the bridge, another great spot. And lastly, the spillway (dam)where the Willow dumps into the Croix another truly productive spot, however, that area gets a lot of people and as I stated earlier the water is high and the dam is open so the current right at the dam makes it pretty tough to fish.

All of these places are normally quite good when the water level is normal, but I think this is the 5th time this year that all this rain has screwed up the fishing.

Hope this is helpful

Wow, some nice tips from a new guy! I might have to follow some of those ones! grin.gif One spot I forgot to mention, but it may be just as well now that the water level shot back up again is the Boomsite park north of Stillwater. The beachy areas are all underwater again so you are very limited in your choice of locations to cast from. I have caught some very large cats and nice sturgeon from the shore north of the main trail area down there. Just follow the trail left when you get to the bottem of the stairs and it will take you along a small cliff with some springs. I was just down there yesterday, but only managed one walleye. Smaller one too... Didn't have worms with me though, a cardinal sin on the river. I have done very well there with worms this time of year for sturgeon and channel cats. Some flatheads too although they seem to prefer live minnows. It's pretty close to Stillwater too so. About 1 1/2 north on 95.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
/
<The Sucka{
\

Magneto,
was that you at the St Croix St spot last night? about sundown?
that's one of my favorite spots too. before I bought a boat this year, I used to fish there quite a bit. used to live within walking distance. caught a 26" 'eye there opening day 2 years ago! thought it was better Spring spot than Fall. Water is Spring-like high.
ever have any luck fishing the shoreline heading out to the swing bridge?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Hey Magneto,
thanks for the report.

Welcome aboard. Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Magneto,
thought that might be you. I haven't tried that spot since Spring. always nice to go down there that time of the day and flip a lure out a few times.
they are either there or not, I guess.
never caught much of anything down there when the water has been up. guess that was true of last night also. If it stays dry and the water comes down, I'll probably run into you again.

Steve-O
Yes that was me, and no I didn't have much luck. Had one on, got it almost to shore and away he went. I never did make it out to the swing bridge. Ever since the water has come up I have had zero luck from shore. Perhaps the constantly changing weather may also have something to do with it.(BTW)I have only been targeting walleyes, fall eyes seem to be the best eaters in my humble opinion.

Magneto

I hav'nt been down there for a few years, but we used to go down to the beach in Lakeland and fish smallies. There's a main point there and we would be down from that and throw lindy rigs with fatheads out and catch quite a few smallies during the day. Try it. I'ld love to know if the pattern still holds.

Sucka/Magneto

Thanks for the tips. We hit Osceola Friday night and over by the St. Croix spot yesterday. I am sorry to report that we were skunked in both spots. Irregardless, Friday night was beautiful and we had a great time. Yesterday was a little cooler, but still nice. I'll attribute no catch to my being a novice at cat and sturgeon fishing. But, we'll keep at it. How long will the cats keep to the areas you guys mentioned? Again, thanks for all the tips.

dadandsonfish

dadandsonfish,

I haven't been to that spot in a week or so, but I have been down to the Stillwater bridge, and caught a few eyes. I was down there at about 8:00pm until 9:15pm. Throwing #9 Shad Raps, with a very, very slow retrieve. They seem to be hitting them almost on the surface. Blue Chrome/natural shad colors. I tried a Blue holographic Bomber (Long A) and hooked into a big one (about 28")I usually let those go as I'm after the 16" to 19" for eating purposes.
I suggest the Stillwater bridge, Wisconsin side, If you get down there face the north, and don't be afraid to cast into the shallows in that little bay.

Magneto

Magneto,

Thanks again. I need some help as we moved here from Chicago about seven years ago and I'm slow to learn my way around or slow to learn locations. Would the Stillwater bridge
be the one that is marked Rte 23 in downtown Stillwater? If so where can one park so I won't get ticketed or towed. Our fishing has been pretty much confined to the upper St. Croix around Sunrise and north, just below the Taylor Falls dam (wading) and a couple of the local lakes. We appreciate the help from everyone at this site. My son wants to fish just about every waking moment, which works for me.

Thanks,

dadandsonfish

Well, at the risk of sounding like a smart *** There is only one bridge in Stillwater. I always park in the parking lot that is right next to the bridge. The north side of 23. After 6pm you can park there as long as you want without any worries. There are signs that way what the parking regulations are. From there you just walk across the bridge, and I like to duck under the bridge from the right side, but you can cross the highway and climb down the rocks. If you do that way you will see why I like to go from the right side. (traffic!)Because the water is still high you have to actually go under the bridge, instead of climbing down to the water and going under it from there. Bring a flash light.
Good luck!

Magneto

dad and son,

I was also catching walleyes right in front of the shore fishing area on the minnesota side under hwy 10 bridge. Shoul be able to catch fish there with a 3/8 weight and floating jig head with fathead minnow just cast out half way to the next wall and let sit. Alot of small walleyes but their is eaters mixed in. Check it out some evening. Let me know if you do. The fishing is really starting to pick up in this area. good luck

chris

------------------
Chris's Croix Guide Service
http://fishingminnesota.com/stcroixguide/
(651) 458-1899
[email protected]
St. Croix River

Magneto,

We hit the spot over in Hudson by St. Croix St., Friday night. We caught a couple carp,
which was fine. We left shortly after dark got to be little to for son.

We'll probably hit another time or two.

Thanks,

dadandsonfish

Magneto and Crappie Getter,

Thanks for tips, we may give it a go this weekend. And Magneto, I appreciated the response about there being "only one bridge in Stillwater." It was a humorous response and I guess I left myself open for it. Now I've got to find the Hwy 10 bridge. You can take the kid out of Chicago, but you can't take Chicago out of the kid.

Thanks again guys for all the info.

dadandsonfish

I'm glad you found it funny, I couldn't resist. I too am from the Chicago area. Born in Cook County hospital, and lived in Palitine, and Fox River Grove. But I have lived in an around MPLS for a long time.

I too am thinking of going down there, perhaps Fri. or Sat.

Magneto

Dadandson,

I'm sorry the highway 10 bridge is the one that goes to Prescott where we met before. On the minnesota side there is a nice area built for shorefishing and this is where I was catching "eyes" in my boat on monday. Almost up next to the shore in 10-15'.

Magneto,

What are you going to do in chicago on fri or sat?!!

I'm sorry I was bored. Jokes are pretty bad!!

Good Luck to All!!

crappie getter,

------------------
(651) 458-1899
[email protected]
St. Croix River

Crappie Getter/Magneto,

Great tips and I hope that we can get out to one of the spots. CG, I know the area you are talking about, so if we go south that's the spot. Magneto, if we go north and you're Stillwater, I'll be the one looking for "the Bridge" and being outfished by Son. If either of you guys see us, shout out or stop by.

dadandsonfish

Crappie Getter/Magneto,

Great tips and I hope that we can get out to one of the spots. CG, I know the area you are talking about, so if we go south that's the spot. Magneto, if we go north and you're Stillwater, I'll be the one looking for "the Bridge" and being outfished by Son. If either of you guys see us, shout out or stop by.

dadandsonfish

CG-
Perhaps my recent post was a little misleading. Yup, I'm from Chicago.
(No, I'm not going there anytime soon)
I'll be down under the Stillwater bridge maybe Fri. or Sat. night.

Gosh, if your bored, have a beer and throw a line in somewhere!

Magneto

magneto,

I wish I could fish and drink at the same time! I am one of those people that can't do more than one thing at a time. The last time I tried drinking and fishing was in August and I went to grab another beer and all of a sudden I had a seagull peeling line off of my spinning rod. Thats when I gave it up!!! Ice fishing is a different story though. Just listen for the rattle with no worries of gulls or any other birds.

The way this fall (winter) is shaping up we should be able to drive on the ice by the first week of November!!!! LOL

crappie getter,

------------------
(651) 458-1899
[email protected]
St. Croix River

CG-
I wouldn't get your house out yet. I have a feeling that we are going to have pretty warm winter.

On our previous topic of the Stillwater bridge. I just came back from there and I can report that the eyes were truly hungry!
I started casting at about 8:00pm, and on the 3rd cast I got the first one. My fishing buddy got one soon after that. All told, we both brought home 4 a piece. I through back 5 (little shavers) lost 3 or 4 I lost count.
My buddy put 4 in the bucket, and he also through back a few, and lost a few.

We left at about 9:30 because the mist, and the new wind that came up about that time got the better of us. Right about the time the wind came up the bite stoped.

Man I love that place in the fall!

Magneto

magneto,

Keep hitting them while the hitting is good!!!

Tommorrow I am heading to lake pepin to catch those 4-6 pound smallmouth and we will probably run into some nice EYES too.

The fall is a awesome time to catch the big TOADS.

I can't wait to start my annual migrations to Red and Milli Lacs (the big pond).
This year I think we will have 7 months to ice fish!!!! LOL

crappie getter,

------------------
(651) 458-1899
[email protected]
St. Croix River

Magneto,

Found the Stillwater bridge. The water appeared to be quite high from what I was able to see from the Stillwater side. I didn't know if this could be easily walked, but from my vantage point I was not comfortable, with taking my son over there. Can you cross under the bridge, is there room, by walking with a minimal degree of difficulty and is there suffcient room to stand comfortably and fish? Sure sounds like it would be a sure shot, but I want to avoid an accident.

Thanks.

Dadandson,

To be specific, your (I'm) not actually standing under the bridge, but rather on the north side of the bank. You would then cast into the main channel and around to the right (north) into the bay. As far as the water level goes, it is down from 2 weeks ago and yes you can actually walk under the bridge without difficulty. The only danger that exists is climbing around on the rocks. If there wet they can be rather slippery. Lastly, someone reported that that area as "snaggy" Now with the water level down it si kind of snaggy. I have been using shallow running Shad Raps, with a retreive so slow that it is almost on the surface. Trust me on this one, if your snagging the lure on the rocks your cranking too fast! I was shown this by my fishing buddy who has been fishing that area for 7 years. I didn't think that that slow of a retreive would work for Walleye, but it really does. I've been fishing that place for three years, and now is the best time for the "Eyes"

I forgot to mention that you can fish the south side too. I personaly haven't had the luck on that side that I have had on the north.

I realize that the walk is somewhat long, and it's kind of scarry, but it's well worth your time if your looking for walleye.

Magneto