Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thomas

too shallow?

7 posts in this topic

does anyone fish below Taylor falls? was wondering if i could fish that area with a 17' Al fishing boat with 125 horse (don't want to hit the bottom! thanks

Thomas,

Several times I've fished below the dam and south several miles out of a 17.5'/115hp aluminum, but only with higher water. 'Course this summer it seems that's all we've had. I don't imagine you'd have any problem but I wouldn't open it up too much unless you're sure of where it shallows up, not to mention the debris floating downstream after a heavy rain. Not to state the obvious, but be sure to trim it up somewhat.

Happy fishing. Don't forget to try the large eddies just south of the dam on the WI side. It's great white bass territory in the spring and always seems to hold something fun all year 'round.

So'ner

You should be fine with the higher water that we have now. Be careful in the wide open spaces South of International Fall St. Park as they tend to shallow out a little bit (4-5'). Around the cliffs where everyone used to go cliff jumping the water gets to 60+ feet deep in places!

Has anyone taken there boat north of the bridge at taylors falls. There is a small rapids under the bridge and never did know if a boat was able to pass through them. I have heard lots of people shore fish right below the dam but I have never tryed that either.

Thomas,

I fish from the Franconia launch north on the St Croix. The launch can be tricky, but I haven't found bottom yet. Of course I run my trolling motor most of the time. I run a 19' bass boat with a 150 hp. Make sure you know where the wingdams are before you gun it anywhere.

------------------
God bless,
Judd Yaeger
Yaeger Guides (Twin Cities Guides) www.totalbusinessware.com/guide.html

hi, i fished just north of tayler falls - water level was no problem - however, i had no luck hooking a fish. i didn't use live bait; cast shallow; trolled deep with spinner and plastic; trolled artificial minnow; nothing but weeds - any suggestions?

Yeah, use live bait. I'm sorry. Small spinners with minnows are a hot ticket for me in that area. I like a single in-line with a shortwire shaft and a single #6 or #4 hook. I used to catch a lot of mooneyes and goldeyes up there but haven't been up real far for a while. Also, a two-tone green and chartruse lindy float with a crawler or fathead can be deadly when they are being stubborn. If they are not biting you should try slowing things down. If they are still not biting, go to a different spot! Now that the water is cooling off, expect fish to be coming into the shallower areas to get fattened up for winter. Hope this helps!

PS: If you find a good wingdam with an eddy, toss as light of a jig as you can get away with without losing feeling into the slackwater pocket that forms ahead of the wing.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
/
<The Sucka{
\