Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

9 posts in this topic

Launched at the bluffs at 3PM and fished till 9PM. Used leeches, crawlers and minnows. Started fishing the points at the narrows on the west side between the wake markers @ 5 to 12 feet. Using slip bobber and jig, caught a dozen fish in 1 hour: 6 lbs cats, 4 pound sheepheads, couple of 2 pound smallies and some nice pan size sunnies. After the action slowed, moved to the east side (1/2 mile south of the narrows on the rock walls). Drift fished that side untill we returned to the bluffs. Caught 1 northern, 17" smallie along with some pounders, a meal of sunnies, 2 more cats, a load of white fish (not white bass).

The weather was great, we fished for six hours and never a dull moment. We are all blessed to have such a diversified fishery in our back yard.

Catch 'em all, and release to keep it going!

Guardsman,

Sounds like you had a great time! I agree it's a great resource this close to the cities, and such clean water!

One question how often did you change boober to jig depths or did you mainly keep it the same? I'm curious becase it would be cool to know that the fish came up for the jig even though say it was hovering off the bottom four feet, especially in an area with current.

Keep catchin'
Turk
www.croixsippi.com

Turk,

At the narrows (where we caught smallies) I used a spinner rig tipped with a crawler on the bottom (close to the west side shore in 10 feet of water drifting the points). The cats and sheepheads were caught on a slip bobber rig in 10 to 13 foot of water with the bait (minnow) up to 1 foot above the bottom.

We caught the sunnies and mooneyes right of the rocks on the east side just south of the narrows on a slip bobber rig in 6 feet of water with crawlers.

Other than a rockbass we didn't see a walleye.

Guardsman

Guardsman,

Thanks for the reply, I was just curious about the depth of the bobber to jig because , as I said before I'm of the assumption that a fish won't rise far of the bottom in current to take a lure... curious as always.
Turk

Hey guys, for a person like me that do not know the river that well but want to learn it, could you please tell me where the bluffs and narrows are? I have fished it for flatheads but that about it. Thanks for the info.

The "bluffs" refers to St Croix Bluffs Regional Park on the Minnesota side, which is about 11 miles south of the Hwy 94 bridge.

The "narrows" refers to where the St Croix river narrows up at the Kinnickinnic River, which is about 9 miles south of the Hwy 94 bridge.

Guardsman

Guardsman, thanks for the reply. I fish catfish around Stillwater and have tried some walleye/bass fishinng north of Stillwater with little success. Does anyone have any info on this stretch of the river?

Guardsman, thanks for the reply. I fish catfish around Stillwater and have tried some walleye/bass fishinng north of Stillwater with little success. Does anyone have any info on this stretch of the river?

Coach,

I fished the area north of Stillwater once using artificial baits. I didn't get one bite. Granted it was during the dog days of summer last year. I hear you can do well for smallies and eyes using live baits.

Guardsman