Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fishing North of Stillwater--Motor Safety

2 posts in this topic

Question for all the river veterans. Are the waters above Stillwater (around Osceola) safe to motor in with a 14' boat with a 25hp motor? What I am particularly concerned about are submerged rocks and logs. I am looking to fish smallies, northerns and muskie in this more remote area of the river. I just don't want to lose my lower unit (on my motor);-)

Also, a fishing report on the species I am targeting would be great.

Thanks in advance...

Don

Your boat should be fine up in the oscoela area. I was out on friday and with the high water it was good for anything. When the water drops again you will need to slow up a bit. It does get very shallow later on in the season. spend some time out there and you will get by just fine. I have spent the last five years boating in the Osceola and Fronconia areas with a 14' and a 15hp. I hit something every once and a while But that is river fishing. I have never broken anything yet. If you go south of osceola i think there is a strech of river just north of the train bridge that runs very shallow. I dont think there is a channel through that part of the river.
Fishing report. They where bitting up to the high water coming through last thursday. I caught 3 fish on friday. 1 eye. Im sure once the river setles down a bit they will start bitting again. Bring the crawlers.