• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

WALLEYES

HEY GUYS MAYBE YOU COULD HELP ME WITH THIS ONE. WHEN FISHING UP BY TAYLORS FALLS WHAT DO YOU GET WALLEYE. DO I WANT TO JIG WITH A FAT HEAD OR USE A LINDY RIG. THIS DOES NOT HAVE TO BE JUST AT THE TAYLORS FALL AREA.
THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS

MIKE

Due to the current, it is tough to Lindy rig at T.F. Your best bet is to use a jig and minnow along the current breaks. A good spot is just down stream and across from where they dock the paddle boat.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a little tough below the dam. The walleyes are there but it's tough to get at them. You can't get a boat there. The shore fishing is generally really crowded in the spring also (people catching carp, sheephead, etc.) You're better off trying downstream. Trolling shad raps is a great tecnique on the river.

Launch at franconia just below Taylors Falls.Go to the first major bend upstream with an island in the middle and on the east side there is a large slate cliff.5-10 feet off this cliff face there is a 30 -40 ft. hole and i have good luck there both with walleyes and bass.In fact there some good northen action there allso I had a friend last fall hook a very large northern there on a crankbait that snapped his pole at the handle.
good luck
Basshunter

HEY BASSHUNTER THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THAT IF YOU COULD HELP ME OUT WITH ONE MORE THING. AND THAT IS HOW DO YOU GET TO FRANCONIA? TELL ME FROM FOREST LAKE. THANKS FOR THE INFO. HOW OFTEN DO YOU FISH UP THERE.
MAYBE WE COULD HOOK UP.

MIKE

Mike I`d happy to get togather sometime but right now my boat is going to be down for a bit.I use the winter as the time to upgrade and repair, but it is easy to get to Franconia just go to Taylors Falls from Forest lake then head south on interstate 95.You really have to keep an eye out for the turn there is a small green sign saying franconia and the road is dirt almost looks like a tractor path and it would be on your left heading south towards Stillwater and marine on st.croix.If you see a hose on the left with a whole bunch of white lattice arbors for sale then you have gone to far turn around, after you make the turn on to the dirt road just follow it down a steep hill to the only stop sign and turn right you will run right to the launch. the launch isn`t the greatest it is all dirt but it lets you in to the river. give me a few days to finish up with my boat and I`ll be more than happy to take you up there for the first time.
Basshunter

HEY BASSHUNTER THANKS FOR THE INFO. WE WILL HAVE TO GET TOGETHER SOMETIME. WHERE DO YOU LIVE? I AM RIGHT IN LINO LAKES. DO YOU KNOW WHERE THAT IS? WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO YOUR BOAT. I HAVE A 16 1/2 foot lund with a 50 merc. it is a great boat. we have a cabin on mille lacs lake. do you ever fish the big pond? well we will have to keep talking about going. the walleyes open up the week before the lake opener. what are you do then? what else do you fish for on the river?
well take care

mike

Mike I live in Stillwater and I have a 1952 Larson aluminum deep v hull.It was a gift from a friend who moved to another state. I am right now installing a bow mount trolling motor and fixing a slow leak from a loose rivet it is nothing special but I like to tinker with it and make it into something that works nice for me and with only a 4hp motor it isn`t quick but it runs all day on 3gls of gas. To be honest with you I like to fish for Bass and Northern or Tigers,I am not that good at catching Walleye.I grew up in central N.Y.and there are no Walleye there and never heard of them untill I came to Minnesota.So I am real weak at Walleye fishing.Mike I have never fished the big pond but if you don`t mind being the teacher i`d be glad to try it.I usally work Square Lake for Rainbows in the spring and Big Marine for Bass and when I feel ambitious I go play at Lake Elmo trying to hook into a monster Tiger.If you want you can drop me a line at [email protected] and we`ll see when we can get togather.Till then good luck and keep your lines wet.
basshunter

hey bass just got back from up north. got one of the boats. have you been busy with the boat. i really want to meet you and go out fishing together. were are you going for opner? i will be at our cabin on mille lacs lake. are you going out for the river opner.
well i hope to get out soon. take care

mike
p.s can i call you by your real name

ha mike congrats on the boat actually i am thinking of heading for the river tommorrow possibly Franconia.yes you can call me by my first name which is Carl.As for opener I have to check my schedule at work and see if I have to work then.I am not the only one that wants that day off and I proably won`t get it off seeing I am the newest person there.But I would really like to get togather, ha drop me a line at 651-351-9001 and we will see what we can do.Till then have fun and keep fishing.
Carl

HEY CARL I AM GOING OUT NEXT TUESDAY. AFTER THE GUY COMES OVER TO OUR HOUSE AND FIXES OUR BOAT. THINKING ABOUT A LAKE AROUND HERE.
TAKE CARE AND KEEP TALKING

MIKE
WHERE ARE YOU GOING FOR OPNER. I SORRY IF I HAVE ASKED THIS QUESTION TO YOU ALREADY

well Mike it looks like I might have the weekend of the opener off.I don`t know where I will be going to as of yet.I have had my hands full with my other halfs illness.But I did get out on the St.Croix Monday and what a disaster that was, the water was flowing so fast at Franconia that my motor couldn`t handle it.They must have had that dam just a cranking.After that I went back down to Stillwater and launched at the boomsite launch.The current was no where near what it was up at Franconia but the river was way high and just filthy.I was dodging whole trees and other debris, plus there was a very strong wind blowing out of the south right up the length of the river making 3 foot waves with white caps in the center of the river.It was real hard to get out of that wind and I couldn`t keep an anchor in the bottom at all.So I called it quits at 2pm

CARL WE ARE GOING UP FOR OPENER ON MILLE LACS. WOULD YOU EVER FISH THAT LIKE BEING THE WAY THAT IT IS. YOU COULD COME UP WITH US. THAT FRIDAY, AND FOLLOW US UP. IT DOES NOT MATTER TO ME WHAT YOU DO FOR OPENER. WHEN DOES THE RIVER GO BACK TO NORMAL. ARE YOU GOING OUT FOR THE RIVER OPENER. TALK LATER

MIKE

Mike,
Are you going out on the Croix this weekend? Have you been out there lately? Just wondering how high the water level is.
I might want to try it this weekend sometime.
If you're going there, maybe we could hook up. Thanks!

Mark

HEY MARK WHEN ARE YOU GOING OUT? I MIGHT GO OUT ON SAT. THE WATER IS HIGH. GOING. ARE YOU GOING TO FISH. WHERE ON THE RIVER. I LIVE IN LINO LAKES. YES WE WILL HOOK UP IF YOU ARE GOING. DO YOU FISH UP BY THE TAL. FALLS DAM. DO YOU HAVE A BOAT OR WOULD YOU WANT TO USE MINE. KEEP TALKING. THANKS
MIKE

Yeah, I'll go on Saturday. I've always launched at Boomsite or over in Hudson. I've never fished around TF. Let me know when is best for you. Also, last week I watched the DNR net the beach area in Prescott. Holy cow! There were tons of big fish being brought up.

Mark

The people that where running those nets in prescott are commercial carp fisherman.Did anyone get a chance to watch them?They get alot of big walleyes with the carp they are fun to watch when they are pulling nets.They ship the carp out east to restaurants.Pretty tasty huh.They are there every year in the middle of april.

Opener is coming soon,get ready!

Chris's Croix Service (651)458-1899

Mike, I've fished it probably 20 times. I found out this weekend that it's closed until May 11. I thought it was considered border water, but it's really considered inland water. So, I've been concentrating on the Mississippi. Been doing fairly well. I live in Red Wing and fish Pool 4 if you'd be interested in coming down to try it sometime.

Mark

mwchiefs (Mike?)

I have a pretty standard 14 foot boat with a 15 horse on it. Is that enough to fish pool 4, or will I end up swimming? I haven't been down there before but would like to try. Are the walleyes clean enough to eat? Or is it just a good spot to catch and release a few pigs?

Any tips?

Thanks

------------------
Little Skill, Less Luck, but I Try Hard..

That's big enough. There's lots of 14 footers out there. Eating the fish is up to you. I'm sure you've heard all the cliques about the river being full of contaminants and such, so that would be up to you. I don't have any problem doing it, and a lot of other people don't, either. Let me know when you'd be trying Pool 4 and maybe we could get together. I could show you where to launch and where to fish.

Mark

MARK-when do you want to get together and hook up? are you going to the river this weekend? do you have a boat? i do if you do not. so have you been doing good on walleyes down there. give me a call if you want to do something. talk later
mike

the email is not working for me. so how many more people do you have going with you? what size boat do you have. would you want me to meet you at your house if we go? if so give me your address. keep talking

mike

Mike,
I just saw the weather report for this weekend and it looks like Sunday is the day. Since you just got your boat fixed, let's try it out! I'll give you a call today sometime.

Mark