Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ice skates?

10 posts in this topic

I was on the river on Wed evening. It was a beaufiful night to fish, but I wish I would have brought my skates, no snow, glare slippery ice for miles. Fell on my butt a few times, trying to go to fast. Going to do down and sit on my bucket for a few hours tonight....

DR TRYHARD how was the fishing and where did you head out was thinking about hitting the croix on tues morn.How thick was the ice?Check out the Rocky Icestalkers they are sorals with a cleet that folds out the front and heel of the boot.So the bruises don't feel so bad sitting on the bucket.Warm boots to rated -100 below.Keep on a fishing I'll write a report how I ended up if I get out.

Crappie Getter is right.You can also buy these cleets that are rubber that you slip over your boots.Pretty cheap and slick.What a difference on glare ice.Good Luck Fishing!

I have been fishing out of Bayport, time around dusk and dawn seems to be best, caught a nice walleye mid-day saturday, but pretty slow for me. all i can do is try hard!

Dr. Tryhard, At least you caught something.I can't catch a cold down there.Basically I've caught a few crappies and white bass.I haven't been able to fish as much as I would like but I've made four trips for 2-3 hours each time.Fished places where I've traditionally done good and moved to other spots also.What did you catch the walleye on and how deep were you fishing? I need some ideas.I was down there this morning and it looked like almost a foot of ice so maybe with the colder weather coming a guy might be able to drive on soon.Later.

DR TRYHARD I usually fish the wisonsin side straight out from Bayport.Have you seen many guys over there fishing or heard anything??I haven't been able to get there yet!Soon though!I saw you on the Red Lake posting have you been up there yet??I went up there a couple of times last year its a good time and BIG crappies it's hard to catch them under a pound and every now and then 2 pounders!!Hopefully this next cold snap we'll get driveable ice!!
Good fishin!

Sinker II, I have been on the MN side out of Bayport, caught the walleye just off bottom, while sitting with another rod and my vexilar, the rod nearly went down the hole with it! Mostly I have been catching crappies, which is what I am looking for, the walleye was a bonus. Crappies are all suspended, normally between 2-8 feet from bottom. Last night I got one 12 feet up! Nice slabs though, between 11-12 1/2 inches mostly..... Nice just to sit after a long day of work without having to drive to far..... See ya out there sometime?

Dr. Tryhard, Yeah I hope to see you down there sometime.I think the hard part this year has been the late ice.You have so many more options when you can drive different places on the river.When you don't have an ATV or snowmobile and rely on pulling a sled out,a guy can only go so far.Nice to be on the ice again though!!!Hopefully it will pick up soon.Good Luck Fishing!!!

There have been a few people over on the Wisconsin side. The Yahoos have had a truck out a couple of times. One guy walked back over to Bayport shaking his head. He said the truck was on 10ish inches 50 feet from where they were fishing on 6-7.

CRAPPIE GETTER, I am heading to URL lake in oh say 24 hours actully I won't get on the lake til Friday morning, but I leave the Twin
Sh**ies tomorrow evening. I'll let you know what I find. In Bayport, I am finding crappies close to what I am used to on URL. Most about 12 inches. A few bigger, a few smaller. I just get my heart a thumping when I see those flashes on my screen then watch as my spring bobber either pops up, or twitches a little extra. GREAT FUN!, and they eat good. Say, does anyone know anything about the DNR recommendations as far as fish consumption from the St. Croix? My wife is hesitant to eat much, we are looking to have a little one in the next year or so, and she heard women should eat any fish from the river. Any thoughts?

DR TRYHARD
Good luck up on red!From what I have seen on eating panfish on the Croix it's not a problem they are not to much of a preditor fish eating bigger prey.The bigger their meals the more crap they build up!Call the DNR they will send you a Fish Advisory book and I believe on the fishing regs they mention some thing about it?I'm really itching to get out on the Croix,last year I was really suprised on their size!Was on Mille Lacs last sunday night caught some nice walleyes,that lake has turned into a fantastic walleye lake with the slot limits.Didn't bother me at all turning the big ones loose.I wish they would put a 15-20 inch limit on the rivers with one over 28"!We should hook up on the croix someday and share info.Next week on the 26th heading to Mille Lacs and then onto Red on the 27th and back to Mille Lacs on the 29th.Probably won't be able to get on the Croix until Feb. oh well maybe their will be good ice by then.Cant wait to hit those trees in the deep water!!!Leave some fish for me on Red and have a cocktail at West Winds for all of us stuck in the cities!!!