Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Turk

Icing this year!

11 posts in this topic

Gang,

I know many of you are waitng for first ice on the croix, the Bayport area will freeze up first ahead of the Hudson and Prescott area, and if the pre ice bite for crappies is anything like what crappie season will be, this will be a great crappie year.

Many of the current crappies are staying much shallower than what will be a predicted 19-24 ft deep first ice bite.

Anyone going to scout new ground this year? The Croix gets much activity as the drive on crowd shows up but first ice walleye is really worth checking out. Spot on spot places on points and inside turns are my first choice for eyes from 15 to 18 feet early or 21-24 feet. Just some early predictions.

Keep catchin'

Turk,
I think I figured out my bad luck run on the Croix!? I need to fish it on ice!!!
I say we do some search and destroy walldog fishing as soon as it's walkable?!!
That is, unless you feel my bad luck will carry over into winter???

JIm W

Hey! Wait for me! I love ice fishing the river. I would enjoy looking for some new spots. I am tired hooking other peoples lines when I land a fish under those power lines! I thought fishermen were supose to stay 10 feet away!!!!!! LOL

Jimbo!

I think the best bet to turn around some of our misadventures is to hit Pool 4 soon, Pool 4 should be everyones ace in the hole!
What do ya say? And honestly the winter is harder for me to book trips so lets make it happen!
What I like about the St. Croix is the simple fact that the fish are there - crappie, saugs, eyes, and more!
I've got some spots where I would need a partner garunteed for safties sake, places I can't rememeber angler hitting? uncharted territory? Hmmmmmmm?

Keep catchin'
Turk

Turk,
LEt me know, send me an e-mail or whatever and we'll hook up! I haven't been fishing for a couple weeks now and I'm really jonesing!!!!!!!

Jim W

FH,

Honestly winter is hard for me to full book, so if i'm scouting and I don't have a problem going with someone, what is your ice specialty and area? You don't have to have a specialty - just curious.

Keep catchin'
Turk
croixsippi.com

Hi Turk, since I don't get to fish as much as you do, I don't spend as much time scouting as I should. I do have a nice spot north of the "BOOM" for early ice pike. I think you know where. It is kind of a tough walk along the bluffs, but there is usually a few nice pike and Muskies laying up there. I will let you know when. I also did well years ago just below Clyde's Pier. Lots of nice Sunfish. I would like to spend more time looking for them this year again. I have tied every year since, but no luck. I usually just fish along with rest of the herd under the power lines or out from Bayport park. I did catch some good eating catfish out there in late ice. My friends laughed when I kept them, but they are very good eating. 5-7 pound range is just right for my grill! I hope I see you out there this winter!! Pray for ice!!!! Maybe you should put that boat away. I think you are jinxing us!!!!!!

Hey guys. If you need another partner I would be glad to join ya. I practically live on the river. Let me know if you need someone.

fh

Hunt4Food,

Ya ice is a while away especially down south where there is NO snow, none! and now all of ours is gone the croix is icing up in places like the downstream corner of the Stillwater bridge, and thin thin ice sheets are floating downstream but I'd say we are two -three weeks away from safe ice! that's Christmas?

This weather is so weird, it scares me at times, but why should we ever get scared about our atmosphere! ha!

H4F I'm with you on the cats being tasty, hey there are people out there that won't eat white bass either so, they can stay in their self made boxes! and leave the cats to us. But you must know that when the eelpout hits the ice they soon hit the frying pan, I have a wide range of tastes.

Turk

Turk,
How were the saugdog tacos???

Still waiting for the call to get on the river again! SUppose to be a lot colder this weekend. Could play hooky on Friday or Thursday!????

Jim W

Turk,

My fish of choice is Slimmers in the summer. They are harder to find in the winter so I usually switch to crappies. Never fished eyes in the winter because slimmers keep me busy on a private lake. Last year got 3 over 20 lbs and a few in the teens! Hope to hear from ya.

Fishhunter